Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV Joints Failing
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: CV Joints Failing Reply with quote

I've got 3,000km more on this trek, and I hear an odd noise from the rear right side. Only seems to happen under acceleration, and seems to be from the right side.

How do you know if CV joints are failing? On a front wheel drive it is obvious when turning corners - click-click-click. Will a Vanagon do that on a rear CV joint?

I've done the search and find it should be easy to re grease them - assuming one has a good workshop, like at home, but not in the RV park.

If I leave the joint and it lasts the 3,000km till home I'll rebuild. If it self destructs, I'll be looking for help somewhere between Thunder Bay, ON, and Calgary, AB. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joints Failing Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:

If I leave the joint and it lasts the 3,000km till home I'll rebuild. If it self destructs, I'll be looking for help somewhere between Thunder Bay, ON, and Calgary, AB. Crying or Very sad

nope you'll be in middle of no-where Sask 3rd world no parts 100KM to nearest 500 person town & 400KM to a place ups/fedex/dhl can locate Sad
a week b4 you can roll again roll the dice
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had one self destruct, even one making a lot of noise...that said I would take an hour and get under there.
You can remove them swap them end for end and you're good to go cause now they will wear in the opposite direction.
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little more help from BEN

http://www.benplace.com/cv_joint_swap.htm

do this and you'll be fine the rest of the way.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, i was happy to meet you!
Sorry but i was flooded with questions and comment all weekend, sadly and very sadly i met many people for a fraction of a second and i wish we could have spend 2 weeks all together!
Anyway, i drink to much so morning where hard Smile
Men it took me 3 days to recuperate.

Second, those should have failed in Busfusion! More mechanic there than you could dream of.

Third and last. Get some silicone grease in a spay can, use the straw to spay some in, drive the van a bit, noise should be gone for about 500miles, after, do the same. You should make it home like that.

BUT!!! if money is not a problem, have them removed, inspect and grease them or put new one.

You don't say if you replaced them before the trip or how long ago?

My external one lasted for only 30k miles! They where dry like hell.
The Subi doesn't help but still.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThorAlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the right tool with you i think you should take it out to re-grease and turn them around. I removed both rear CV's on one side, replaced one and greased to the other and had hem back on in about 1.5 hours, including driving to the store to get a new bit wen the one i used broke.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If u decide to reverse axles remember u 'go from one side to the other NOT rotating end for end along the way or u are wasting your time.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys.

Having only basic tools with me, I think I'll push on for home. It is only intermittent, and only slight at that.

Yep - swap side to side as directed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: