Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy tent zipper repair?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iiigoiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Westy tent zipper repair? Reply with quote

the last time we went camping in our westy, when i went to zip up the flap on the window, the zipper did that thing where the teeth separated behind the zipper pull.

our tent is an original equipment single front window canvas one that was a replacement for the original original one a while back. it does stretch fairly taut when the top is up, and that stretch may be a bit too much for the worn zipper. i got it closed by carefully working the pull back and forth until the teeth held together.

i'm figuring i could either zip/unzip it when the top is lowered slightly (a pain), or replace the zipper (or tent...) when it's off the van, but has anyone had any good luck replacing the zipper itself while the tent is on the vehicle?

or better yet any good ideas as to how to fix a zipper pull that doesn't fully join the zipper halves?
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While at Bus Fusion, I got the name of Jonce Fancher. He makes a replacement screen - I believe complete with zipper. You use fabric glue to put it in place, then cut out the old fly screen. Haven't researched for him yet, but it might help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kirsplat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This often happens with old sleeping bags and jackets. 9 times out of 10 it's the slider (zipper pull) to blame. The gap where the zipper teeth go through becomes too wide and the slider doesn't fully lock the teeth of the zipper. Try pinching the slider on both sides with a pair of pliers to decrease the gap and try zipping it again, you just might find this to be a cheap fix.

Cheers,

Chris
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy brought his wetsuit and tanks up to a campout we had at Lost Lake, Oregon last summer.....I was bithching about my zipper sticking and he pulled out some sort of Wet Suit/Diving Wax....He ran it across the zipper a few times and its working again! Very Happy Mine came from San Antonio TX so its zipper had a bit of sea crust like you see on a boat canvas in salt water. I thought he was brilliant in equating the two environments and fixin' my beloved zipper!

No more ZipperRippers!
iiigoiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might try the wetsuit wax...i was thinking about lubing the zipper. just want to make sure whatever i use will not eventually deteriorate the zipper or the canvas. also saw that the PB blaster company has a dry-lube spray which is safe for plastics:
http://blasterchemical.com/display.cfm?p=50003&pid=6

it probably is the pull being worn. i'm planning on trying the plier squeeze on the back side of the pull...but worried about breaking it or squeezing too much.

as far as i can tell, the fancher screen replaces the whole window inside the zipper, but does not include it.

i suppose i COULD spring for a new tent but trying to avoid that for now....
Hair Vise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: westy tent ZIPPER repair? Reply with quote

Any suggestions for how we might repair the zipper on our Westy?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Seems like there must be an alternative rather than replacing the entire canvass.

Thanks for the help!

Steven
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: westy tent ZIPPER repair? Reply with quote

Thats an easy fix, a tad invasive but.....

Clip off the bottom zipper teeth, just two or three that will enable you to engage the zipper slide.

Slide the zipper up, put a few whip stitches to prevent the slide from going down into the missing tooth area.

Lube zipper.

Use carefully, that zipper slide is made out of POM and is getting old and stretched. There is no repair for it.

Plan for tent renewal "soon". (Soon could be years.... Could be weeks)

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: westy tent ZIPPER repair? Reply with quote

I like to tag along with my wife to the fabric store. I saw these on my last visit
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sullivans-USA-Fix-A-Zip-Universal-Repair-Kit/17338041

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
Hair Vise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: westy tent ZIPPER repair? Reply with quote

Thanks so much. This definitely gives me some options before I plunk down the big bucks for a new canvass tent!

Steven
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: westy tent ZIPPER repair? Reply with quote

Once you get it working, you might put this on it to assure smooth operation:

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiigoiii wrote:
i might try the wetsuit wax...i was thinking about lubing the zipper. just want to make sure whatever i use will not eventually deteriorate the zipper or the canvas. also saw that the PB blaster company has a dry-lube spray which is safe for plastics:
http://blasterchemical.com/display.cfm?p=50003&pid=6

it probably is the pull being worn. i'm planning on trying the plier squeeze on the back side of the pull...but worried about breaking it or squeezing too much.

as far as i can tell, the fancher screen replaces the whole window inside the zipper, but does not include it.

i suppose i COULD spring for a new tent but trying to avoid that for now....

an old trick that a seamstress taught me is to rub a candle on the zipper, the wax will be rubbed onto the zipper teeth and make it operate better, less prone to derailment. white candle wax is best so as to leave no stains on the fabric. do not light the candle, just rub the candle over the length of zipper to give it a coat of wax. fixxed plenty of sticky zipper this way. makes the zipper glide very well so your not forcing it which can damage it and wear the components..

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: westy tent ZIPPER repair? Reply with quote

this also seems like a good solution

https://www.fixnzip.com/

Link

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: westy tent ZIPPER repair? Reply with quote

The fix a zip gizmo is pretty slick, and looks like a mind free quick fix / solution.

Pretty neat.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: westy tent ZIPPER repair? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
The fix a zip gizmo is pretty slick, and looks like a mind free quick fix / solution.

Pretty neat.

It must be good. TK has nothing bad to say about it Wink

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Vinzanto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: westy tent ZIPPER repair? Reply with quote

I ended up taking mine to a tailor and had a new zipper installed. It was like 50 bucks but much cheaper than buying a new screen.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: westy tent ZIPPER repair? Reply with quote

Ahhhh--

You removed the entire canvas and took it to a tailor, not a canvas shop ?

Our you take it to Luigi Welinda?
He worked on the canvas from a tight rope?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: