Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery Cover Strap Minutia
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Battery Cover Strap Minutia Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone knows if the factory placed a washer under the adjustment nut for the battery strap for early '57. Can't sleep soundly until I figure this one out.
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a page from a parts manual that shows the strap with the nut, then a lock washer then a flat washer, the strap pretty much gets bolted down flat to the floor pan, there isnt really any adjustment to it, if yours doesn't clip down securely with the catch your battery or cap is the wrong size or you dont have the correct rubber mat strips under it, this picture is earlier than '57 but I'm sure the washer arangement should be the same :
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice graphic! I'm thinking now that my year was setup for a locknut below and washers/nut on top due to the stud length of about 35mm coming from the floorpan. I'm using an Interstate 19L, my strap length is about .475 meters, and the whole assembly is snug with the strap about half way down the stud.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone has the original nut for the battery strap, I am interested to know what size wrench is used for it.

Specifically, is it 15mm?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitbus.nl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is 15mm ...............original????i dont know
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few later nuts for say a '68 beetle and those were a special 19mm with the 8mmX1.25 thread, 19mm so you could use the lug nut wrench from the tool kit to loosen it, I cant imagine they would use a 15mm on anything since no tool was provided in the kit for that size but on the early cars of course the nut would not need to be removed generaly since the strap had the hand catch on it, good question, I know my '55 had a regular 14mm nut,
Nut 21 in the 1954 manual picture above is part number N 11 008, Sechskantmutter M8 DIN 934 if that helps ...
OH, I checked the above manual and part #12 in the photo the generator strap nut is the same part number as the battery hold down nut so should be 14mm, I wonder where the 15mm's came from ?
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: