Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Double Cabs - teach me
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greggearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Double Cabs - teach me Reply with quote

So, after searching and perusing the intra-web, I have been looking at Dokas as a possible replacement vehicle for a few others, trying to thin the herd. A Syncro Doka sounds perfect on the surface, as it has Syncro for Colorado winters and trails, can haul 5 people and gobs of stuff, motorcycles, etc.

So - what are the significant model and year changes to be aware of when looking at Dokas, and Doka Syncros?

Thanks for the info.
1991 Vanagon Syncro Westy

Period Lights, VW & Porsche wheels and Recaro/Scheel Seats for sale

https://www.facebook.com/greggearhead

http://greggearhead.com/soco-swap---september-vw-swap-meet.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThorAlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are very few changes for the vanagon doka, except for the engines. 80-82 are either air cooled 2L or diesel 1.6L (non turbo). After 83 there are 1.9l wbx, 2.1wbx and 1.6l diesel. I don't think the diesels were imported to the US. The syncro came with the 1986 model year, and is mostly the same as the 2wd except for the 4wd. There is a 16" version with bigger wheels and higher suspension, but they are hard to find and very expensive.
The doka (and sika) also has the bonus that the engine sits lower and the bed higher so there is a lot more room for a bigger engine if that's your thing.

Edit: Btw, they came with ore without servo steering. Mine has no servo so it is a little heavy to park, but as soon as it gets rolling it's not heavy at all.

I think the doka is almost the perfect vehicle, you can carry and tow almost anything you would want and seat the whole family at the same time.
ckissick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you should get a syncro. They were made from 1986 to 1991, but it seems the vast majority that you see for sale are '89s. They all have about the same features, anyway.

The Tristar is the luxury 4-door model. I'd try to find one of those. That fourth door, behind the driver's door, comes in pretty handy. Also, many have a bench seat in front. The walk-through models, with a gap between the two seats, also are a lot more convenient.

There's some more info at tristar-connection.de
1989 syncro Tristar
1966 Porsche 912
1989 Beck Spyder
2007 GTI Fahrenheit
greggearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - this is just the kind of stuff I am looking for.
1991 Vanagon Syncro Westy

Period Lights, VW & Porsche wheels and Recaro/Scheel Seats for sale

https://www.facebook.com/greggearhead

http://greggearhead.com/soco-swap---september-vw-swap-meet.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian version with no ZZZ in the vin will be easier to sell in the future. A doka is mechanically the same as any van of the same year range so mechanical parts are no big deal to get. Buy one with the best original bodywork you can possibly afford- the bodywork from the front doors back is truck only and hard to get. Don't forget to run a carfax on the truck that you want to buy as they sometimes come up for sale with a vin swap. People sometimes import them as a parts car then got a vin swap to get a title for them- obviously illegal. Good luck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: