Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 Brake Servo
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: 72 Brake Servo Reply with quote

I recently put the front end of a 72 bus on my 70. On the brake servo, there is a vacuum line that runs back to the engine and the other line that disappears into the body. Not knowing what's in there, I just threaded a pipe fitting in there and stuck the hose to it.
Can you guess the problem? Oviously y engine is doing crazy things. Won't idle, or will idle but super high.
What is the purpose of that second line and what can I do about it?
Help me PLEASE!!!!
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: 72 Brake Servo Reply with quote

UNPLUG IT!!!
That is the clean air side of the booster. It has to have atmospheric pressure on that side for the diaphragm to move. In a normal car, the clean air side is in the passenger compartment. On the bus, the booster is totally exposed to the elements. If the hose was not there, water would enter when you went thru a puddle. The hose goes up into the body cavity in the left dogleg and B pillar.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: 72 Brake Servo Reply with quote

I unplugged it, and the engine just dies. Just out of curiousity, I capped it and the engine runs fine, but now what about the booster?
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: 72 Brake Servo Reply with quote

You only have the big vacuum line going to the nipple on the same side as the master cylinder, correct?
The nipple on the back side is open?
And with the back nipple open, the engine dies?
If yes, you have a bad booster. The diaphragm is blown.
There was a NOS booster on ebarf about a week ago but I cannot find it.
There is a place in Texas that rebuilds them.
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:09 am    Post subject: 72 Brake Servo Reply with quote

Of all the parts the booster is one of the few where the rebuilt part may be better than NOS,something to do with the rubber diaphram and 30+yrs on a shelf.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: 72 Brake Servo Reply with quote

Okay, thanks much. There's one more thing I want to try before I get a new booster. I'm able to blow both ways through the check valve, so I'm replacing it and will see if that works.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: