Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice on buying an 88 Westy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nachas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Advice on buying an 88 Westy Reply with quote

So I am a total newb to this board and a total newb to Vanagaons so I was hoping I could get some feedback and opinions on this used van I am looking to buy. Its a 1988 Westfalia, 196262 miles on the body, 90,000 on the engine. Very little rust, needs a new rear bumper, interior is in good shape, refrigerator doesn't work, and needs a general good cleaning.

I am not as worried about the cosmetic stuff as I am the mechanical. Just had a new clutch installed and other work done. I got a pre purchase inspection done today from a place in town that occasionally works on Vanagons. Overall they said they were suprised how good of shape it was in. Here are the 4 issues they did find with it.

-Oil Leak yet to be determined where its coming from
-Exhaust system has some small leaks TBD
-Front suspension said to have minor cracks in the "caster rod bushings"
- LR Brake doesn't fully engage when parking brake is pulled.
-AC not working

everything else was listed in "good" condition.

She was asking $7,500 for it, I offered $6,250 and she has accepted. Do you think this is a generally a good deal? Should I go lower?
Thanks for any help/input anyone might be able to offer.
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will it pass inspection as is? I have a 88 with a 2.1...can you work on it yourself? exhaust is expensive just to buy and even a bigger pain in the butt to put in, you could patch it, but theres some debate over that! if i were you id go the stickies and check the new buyers check list? what do you plan on using the van for? daily use? welcome, have an open mind, get a bentley ..search the data base theres a wealth of info here and a wealth of knowledge...the samba is your friend Wink
Nachas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it can pass inspection as it is, and yeah I can do some of the work myself. As far as the exhaust it could simply need new gaskets, I am really not sure yet but the leak was reported as minor.

Yes I will read through the stickies I just wanted to get some quick feedback from folks cause I kind of have to decide over this weekend.

And btw the van comes with a bentley!
Toaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought our 87 two year ago for $11,500. Canadian
Then upgrade with new Subaru motor, and all new running gear.
Very happy with the results, invested $21,800, but have a great unit,
We owned a 38 foot MH before this, will never go back to that!!
It all about life style, which we prefer

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on buying an 88 Westy Reply with quote

Nachas wrote:
So I am a total newb to this board and a total newb to Vanagaons so I was hoping I could get some feedback and opinions on this used van I am looking to buy. Its a 1988 Westfalia, 196262 miles on the body, 90,000 on the engine. Very little rust, needs a new rear bumper, interior is in good shape, refrigerator doesn't work, and needs a general good cleaning.

I am not as worried about the cosmetic stuff as I am the mechanical. Just had a new clutch installed and other work done. I got a pre purchase inspection done today from a place in town that occasionally works on Vanagons. Overall they said they were suprised how good of shape it was in. Here are the 4 issues they did find with it.

-Oil Leak yet to be determined where its coming from
-Exhaust system has some small leaks TBD
-Front suspension said to have minor cracks in the "caster rod bushings"
- LR Brake doesn't fully engage when parking brake is pulled.
-AC not working

everything else was listed in "good" condition.

She was asking $7,500 for it, I offered $6,250 and she has accepted. Do you think this is a generally a good deal? Should I go lower?
Thanks for any help/input anyone might be able to offer.

Well now, I am shocked. You made a deal didn't you?

"She was asking $7,500 for it, I offered $6,250 and she has accepted.
Should I go lower?"

No further comment necessary

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
912owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on buying an 88 Westy Reply with quote

VisPacem wrote:

Well now, I am shocked. You made a deal didn't you?

"She was asking $7,500 for it, I offered $6,250 and she has accepted.
Should I go lower?"

No further comment necessary

Amen
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you got a good deal. Having already had it inspected, you have a pretty good idea of what to expect for repairs.

I bought an '88 3 years ago for $9,000Can, but put $11,000 into mechanical repairs, then another $6,000 into new paint and rust removal (minor). And I'm still happy Smile Spread the expenses out over a few years and you don't miss the money. Wink

As Toaster said "It all about life style, which we prefer". Just did 15,451km around US and Canada in 7 weeks and it was great.

Í don't think you can go wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on buying an 88 Westy Reply with quote

Nachas wrote:

Unless you find something she did not disclose or did not know about.. something that reduces the value of the van then, NO.. you should not go lower.

You offered.
She accepted.

Ethics.. pay the lady.

It doesn't hurt that you got a pretty fair, arguably GOOD deal.

Geez.. I hate it when people nickel and dime..
If you want the van? Pay the fair price you offered.
No one "wins" because you think you could weasal another $200 out.
Just ill feelings, resulting.
Nachas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the feed back...but wow please refrain from your self righteous ethics policing comments

I just wanted to know in general if I had gotten a good deal.

Not to be overly defensive... but I will....J_dirge please spend your time accusing others of "nickel and dimeing," you dont know me and you certainly dont know my financial situation
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nachas wrote:
thanks for the feed back...but wow please refrain from your self righteous ethics policing comments

Not to be overly defensive... but I will....J_dirge please spend your time accusing others of "nickel and dimeing," you dont know me and you certainly dont know my financial situation

Then bear with me a second.

Usually, when an offer is accepted, the owner takes the listing down.
That means that she is no longer getting offers to compete against yours.

Once you decide to adjust your offer, she is left in the lurch. Could have been that in the meantime someone else could have stepped in and made HER a better offer.

I'm looking at it from the sellers point of view, too.

You did the right thing.. paid her a fair price based on HER asking and YOUR OFFER.
And from the looks of things she is OK with it.
Now.. HAD you come back at her since she took the listing down and said "Gosh my cohorts say I offered too much"

Well.. I'm sure you see how that would be, from an ethics point of view.
I've been around long enough to know tha people will do this kind of thing INTENTIONALLY, knowing damn well what they are after.

Has NOTHING to do with your finances.. YOU made the offer.. and in many courts that is all it takes to make a "contract".

Sorry for the tone of the replies.. particularly mine.. but your wording in the original post feeds into it.

No hard feelings nor any "judgement" intended.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nachas wrote:

Self-righteous my carburetor.
What does your financial situation have to do with your word?
I don't know you, but I know a little more about you now.
Maybe you think I'm being an unreasonable ass here, but 5 of my last 6 "deals" were with folks who shared your view of what an agreement is, and then sold to someone else. And this was just within the last 2 months on a set of wheels.
You posted this, and asked "for any input". Well, now you've got mine.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on buying an 88 Westy Reply with quote

Nachas wrote:
I was hoping I could get some feedback and opinions on this used van I am looking to buy.

She was asking $7,500 for it, I offered $6,250 and she has accepted. Should I go lower?

Nachas Welcome you are new here. The way you expressed yourself here looks like you are someone that would go back on your word. Also LOOKING, and having a verbal deal are two different things.
I know what we think in our head and when get typed out is different. Looks like this is the case.
Do not let this thread get you down on not posting here anymore.
The Vanagon guys(and gals) here are a great bunch here.
Please keep posting here.
After a while you will get to know some folks here and understand that this is the place to come for Vanagon info.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Nachas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, all I was looking for was input on whether or not my offer was a good deal. I know where my ethics stand. Sorry for the poor wording.

I am not going to play tit for tat on this matter, just needed some feed back on a car deal (that I know very little about) not whether I am acting ethically. I will say no more cause I value this board as a source of information and help with the Van. Again excuse my newbie word choice.

Thanks again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: