Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
Jalousie (louvered) window installation
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Phyllis
Samba Member


Joined: October 31, 2005
Posts: 773
Location: McMinnville, OR
Phyllis is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Jalousie (louvered) window installation Reply with quote

I've never installed these kind of windows before, so which of the three grooves in the seal sits on the ledge?
_________________
1971 Deluxe Transporter "Winston"
1970 Westy Weekender "Cornelius"
Andrew
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member


Joined: December 29, 2002
Posts: 9123
Location: Syracuse, NY
VDubTech is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put the window in the opening, start all of the screws, tighten them down. They're the easiest windows you'll ever install.
_________________
First Trip in the RustyBus:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=279077&highlight=
borninabus wrote:
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phyllis
Samba Member


Joined: October 31, 2005
Posts: 773
Location: McMinnville, OR
Phyllis is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
Just put the window in the opening, start all of the screws, tighten them down. They're the easiest windows you'll ever install.


Screws? I thought it's only held on by the seal.
_________________
1971 Deluxe Transporter "Winston"
1970 Westy Weekender "Cornelius"
Andrew
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jalabert
Samba Member


Joined: December 06, 2005
Posts: 532
Location: On the coast in NZ, somewhere...
Jalabert is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the lips of the middle window in the westies they came on are drilled. The threads of the screws rest engage with the sides of the window body. Are your middle window frames not drilled? Get yourself some touch-up paint... Wink

I dunno - there's probably forty screws holding each window in place on mine?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
chazz79
Samba Member


Joined: August 15, 2008
Posts: 2268
Location: ohio
chazz79 is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they just sheet metal screws? I'd like to get my windows fitted before I finish my body work so I don't leave raw metal out to rust. I think the OP is in the same boat as me, my bus has never had jelousies in it because it was a passenger last time it was on the road.
_________________
One day as a lion, or a lifetime as lamb

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
waltervee
Samba Member


Joined: December 28, 2007
Posts: 80
Location: Kansas City & Los Angeles
waltervee is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the ultimate Louvered Window rehab and installation guide, Ratwell, of course! Just finished doing mine and installing seals from Wolfsburg West.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
waltervee
Samba Member


Joined: December 28, 2007
Posts: 80
Location: Kansas City & Los Angeles
waltervee is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is:
http://homepage.mac.com/ratwell/78_Westy/PhotoAlbum59.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phyllis
Samba Member


Joined: October 31, 2005
Posts: 773
Location: McMinnville, OR
Phyllis is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a good link on how to thoroughly clean the windows, but I'm still wondering about the hardware and where all of the screws go. Mine two was a transporter that I'm converting to a camper.
_________________
1971 Deluxe Transporter "Winston"
1970 Westy Weekender "Cornelius"
Andrew
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member


Joined: March 24, 2007
Posts: 2986

Pinetops is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phyllis wrote:
That was a good link on how to thoroughly clean the windows, but I'm still wondering about the hardware and where all of the screws go. Mine two was a transporter that I'm converting to a camper.


+1 I'd like to see how they are actually installed as well. Do you need two seals or one?
_________________
"A rolling bus gathers no rust."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member


Joined: February 12, 2004
Posts: 44465
Location: Surrey B.C. Canada, Land of the giant flying moose!
busdaddy is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One seal around the very outside edge, the screws go into a groove in the extrusion between the outer edge and the inner frame, look closely at the outer lip of the window from the inside to see the screw marks in the groove.
The screws are roughly #8X3/4" IIRC.
_________________
Rust NEVER sleeps and stock never goes out of style.

Wanted, OG paint 1971 Niagara blue decklid.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue


Joined: May 11, 2002
Posts: 19395
Location: Samba Center for Behavioral Science
keifernet is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
One seal around the very outside edge, the screws go into a groove in the extrusion between the outer edge and the inner frame, look closely at the outer lip of the window from the inside to see the screw marks in the groove.
The screws are roughly #8X3/4" IIRC.


They are not that long, very short stubby/ maybe 3/8" and I think they may be #6 as well.. Phillips head.

You have to drill the holes in the body slightly larger that the screw.... you actually do not want the screw to "bite" in the metal lip of the body but to pass through and bite the area on the window frame.

My nephew just took a pair of out of a parts bus yesterday to fit into his 74 project that is also a passenger bus on it's way to being converted to a weekender style arrangement.

I'll try to take a pic of the pile of screws and count the # of holes that are drilled in the donor bus or get a pic of the opening.
_________________
my seller feedback
rebuilt carb info = for sale

"STFU Polly and go eat a cracker!" 12-21-2012.... can't wait!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phyllis
Samba Member


Joined: October 31, 2005
Posts: 773
Location: McMinnville, OR
Phyllis is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:
I'll try to take a pic of the pile of screws and count the # of holes that are drilled in the donor bus or get a pic of the opening.


That would be great! Pictures would definitely help us out. Thank you!

Here is a picture of the bottom end of the window. I don't see any signs of screws?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
1971 Deluxe Transporter "Winston"
1970 Westy Weekender "Cornelius"
Andrew
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member


Joined: January 22, 2005
Posts: 5253
Location: Taoswest, USA
peaceful warrior is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a track that is on the inside of the window frame. This where the screw bites and pulls the frame tight against the body. I counted 20 screws,
3 on each side and 7 on top and bottom. Here are some pics that should help.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
"Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein
"Notchboy" says "Man up!"
"Tram" says " My bus is bigger than your bus."
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue


Joined: May 11, 2002
Posts: 19395
Location: Samba Center for Behavioral Science
keifernet is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phyllis wrote:
keifernet wrote:
I'll try to take a pic of the pile of screws and count the # of holes that are drilled in the donor bus or get a pic of the opening.


That would be great! Pictures would definitely help us out. Thank you!

Here is a picture of the bottom end of the window. I don't see any signs of screws?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/572718.jpg[/img]


The picture you posted above shows the area the screws bite into...

Peaceful beat me to some pics but here are some more.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
my seller feedback
rebuilt carb info = for sale

"STFU Polly and go eat a cracker!" 12-21-2012.... can't wait!


Last edited by keifernet on Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phyllis
Samba Member


Joined: October 31, 2005
Posts: 773
Location: McMinnville, OR
Phyllis is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK great! I was thinking the head of the screw was on the window, but it all makes sense now. Thanks everyone!
_________________
1971 Deluxe Transporter "Winston"
1970 Westy Weekender "Cornelius"
Andrew
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member


Joined: January 22, 2005
Posts: 5253
Location: Taoswest, USA
peaceful warrior is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:

Peaceful beat me to some pics but here are some more.


Sorry Brother Keifernet! I just happened to be taking pics of some parts and I had just read this thread. At the very least you got pics of the most important part, the correct screws. I have a can full of them, but couldn't locate the can......typical! Wink
_________________
"Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein
"Notchboy" says "Man up!"
"Tram" says " My bus is bigger than your bus."
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue


Joined: May 11, 2002
Posts: 19395
Location: Samba Center for Behavioral Science
keifernet is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaceful warrior wrote:
keifernet wrote:

Peaceful beat me to some pics but here are some more.


Sorry Brother Keifernet! I just happened to be taking pics of some parts and I had just read this thread. At the very least you got pics of the most important part, the correct screws. I have a can full of them, but couldn't locate the can......typical! Wink


No problem, your pics are great... they help a lot and I had to go find my camera, put batteries in it and go stand out in the 100+ heat so I had fewer pictures to take! Laughing Wink
_________________
my seller feedback
rebuilt carb info = for sale

"STFU Polly and go eat a cracker!" 12-21-2012.... can't wait!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member


Joined: January 22, 2005
Posts: 5253
Location: Taoswest, USA
peaceful warrior is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:
peaceful warrior wrote:
keifernet wrote:

Peaceful beat me to some pics but here are some more.


Sorry Brother Keifernet! I just happened to be taking pics of some parts and I had just read this thread. At the very least you got pics of the most important part, the correct screws. I have a can full of them, but couldn't locate the can......typical! Wink


No problem, your pics are great... they help a lot and I had to go find my camera, put batteries in it and go stand out in the 100+ heat so I had fewer pictures to take! Laughing Wink


Makes me feel good to be at 7000' and the temp is only high 70's with a monsoon storm coming thru later today. Stay in a cool place is all I can say,
and enjoy your festivities this evening! Happy 4th!
_________________
"Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein
"Notchboy" says "Man up!"
"Tram" says " My bus is bigger than your bus."
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue


Joined: May 11, 2002
Posts: 19395
Location: Samba Center for Behavioral Science
keifernet is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaceful warrior wrote:
keifernet wrote:
peaceful warrior wrote:
keifernet wrote:

Peaceful beat me to some pics but here are some more.


Sorry Brother Keifernet! I just happened to be taking pics of some parts and I had just read this thread. At the very least you got pics of the most important part, the correct screws. I have a can full of them, but couldn't locate the can......typical! Wink


No problem, your pics are great... they help a lot and I had to go find my camera, put batteries in it and go stand out in the 100+ heat so I had fewer pictures to take! Laughing Wink


Makes me feel good to be at 7000' and the temp is only high 70's with a monsoon storm coming thru later today. Stay in a cool place is all I can say,
and enjoy your festivities this evening! Happy 4th!


Yeah that sounds so nice instead of 100 + and 90 percent humidity at sea level Laughing have a good holiday yourself!
_________________
my seller feedback
rebuilt carb info = for sale

"STFU Polly and go eat a cracker!" 12-21-2012.... can't wait!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member


Joined: March 27, 2004
Posts: 2937
Location: Portland, Oregon
Air_Cooled_Nut is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phyllis wrote:
OK great! I was thinking the head of the screw was on the window, but it all makes sense now. Thanks everyone!

So my fellow PNWer, take pictures of your install 'cause I have a slider (driver's side) in my Rivi that I want to replace with a jalousie that's sitting in my garage Smile
_________________
Toby http://www.aircoolednut.com/
Did I mention that I'm an original Darksider?
'72 VW Squareback, 2007cc, GB 5-speed, rag top; '76 VW Riviera Sundowner 2.0L; '95 VW Jetta GL 2.0L, Solo II EP; '06 Ducati Sport Classic 1000; '14 Ducati Diavel Strada
http://www.type3registry.com/ - The First Invasion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB