Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

advice on undercoating
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillJohnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: advice on undercoating Reply with quote

I'm currently having my bus restored. The guys doing the work would like to use a "sound deadener" on the inside floors and doors. I believe it is POR-15 that they are using. They are also proposing I do the underside of the bus, first pressure washing, allowing a thorough dry. Any feedback anyone can give me on using this stuff on the underbody? Much appreciated.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our 1977 has a thick coating of wax (Cosmoline) on the bottom. Embedded in that is dirt from so many miles. Pressure washing did not remove it and I would be hesitant to paint anything over it including POR-15 for the reason that it is soft enough still to allow cracking of the paint and that could allow water to be drawn in through capillary action. If they want to pressure wash and wire brush where there is not cosmoline left to knock off any scale that has built up and apply POR-15 on that, it would work well. Por 15 does not require complete removal of the rust but don't think pressure washing is going to knock everything off - I base this on the experience of pressure washing our bus with my large gasoline powered unit. It is stong enough to strip the surface off concrete but the dirt remains under the bus in places I couldn't get a good angle on. The only way that a pressure washer will work is if you can get the bus high enough to stand under it, see what you are doing and really get close to a 90 degree angle on it when you wash.
BillJohnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merlin,

I was misinformed. These guys are proposing lizzard skin, not POR-15. Do you know anything about this product?

Thanks for posting.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing at all other than what comes up with Google. I don't know if I would go to all that expense for sound deadening. It needs a dry clean surface to adhere properly. POR-15 is a protectant against rust. Lizardskin was designed as a sound deadener. As a VW bus owner you need protection against rust. With so many windows you are going to get sound inside whether you insulate the floor or not. The best sound deadening I've had is simply to stuff some thick foam pieces under the rear seat area.

From their site:

Surface should be dry and free of foreign matter.

Should be primed prior to application of
LizardSkin Ceramic Insulation.

Surface should be clean and
free of any oil, dirt or other foreign matter.
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, a restorer wanting to put undercoating on your car sounds like trouble. It can cover a multitude of sins for a long time, long enough for most statutes of limitation to run. Make sure you get some nice pic's of the undersides before they put any goo on it.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sound deadening is a good idea on the interior, but there are many products out there.....so I would do some research. There should be a thread somewhere in this forum about a bus that got all free sound deadening materials to give feedback.

As for me, If the undercarriage is bare metal, I would definitely use Por-15, though I found Rust Bullet to be a better product. Admittedly, when I restore a VW, I usually have the undercarriage blasted, whether with sand or media so that I can find the hidden problems.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aliennetwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an almost complete write up of Lizard Skin
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...mp;start=0

and the YouTube Vid that goes with it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uVV_zM-4b0

Desertbusman wrote:
So if you carry a spare starter it will be some other part you don't carry that will fail. Just tow a spare bus.
BillJohnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all who have posted. I'm sold, at this point, on doing the lizard skin on the inside of the bus. These guys are beyond thorough and are very unlikely to cut corners, so I believe them when they tell me that they will do the necessary prep w/ pressure washer, etc. before spraying.

I guess I'm less convinced that using this material on the underbody is necessary. I'm not as interested in the sound deadening aspect (although it will be nice) as the aspect of protecting the underbody from more rust, etc.
If the prep is done properly, is it worth the extra $900 it will cost me to have the underbody done?

This is not a show car; it's a daily drive/work van and I'm looking at it from the point of view of practicality, not aesthetics.

How many of you guys have had this done to your cars/buses?
Rubber Duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillJohnson wrote:
If the prep is done properly, is it worth the extra $900 it will cost me to have the underbody done?

This is not a show car; it's a daily drive/work van and I'm looking at it from the point of view of practicality, not aesthetics.

How many of you guys have had this done to your cars/buses?

Hi there TW...here's what I did to rustproof my bus. On hindsight, I would've prepped more and maybe even sandblasted the bottom before shooting the rustcheck. But right now, its done and done well. There's another post somewhere about a guy who did the same thing in Eastern Canada (where they REALLY salt the roads cos it REALLY snows there) and all he had to show for his daily driver bus was a small hole near the sliding door.

$900 is a lot of money. Might as well spend that on soundproofing your interior if you must. But for underbody, I'm pretty sure that if I, with my 4 thumbs and one eye could do it, so can you Laughing
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advise is, since you asked, save your money. Our beloved buses were not blessed at the factory with immersion painting. All the places on and within the body that could not be sprayed are bare metal, probably more un painted than painted. As the poster stated above, coatings cover a multitude of sin, and I would rather keep an eye on the bottom of my bus than seal and cover the inevitable rust that is there now working as it is on most any VW.

All our buses are rusting as we read this, and you just have to be proactive and deal with it as you go along, or cover it up and ignore it.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. POR-15 or KBS Coating the bottom of the bus after good surface prep.

Since your there, it would be money well spent. Make sure the body drain holes are indeed open and actually drain.

I am not sure if Lizard Skin or Second Skin will actually stick to it though and I would probably use that kind of stuff on the inside of the bus and in the doors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jalabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I finished the chassis work on my bus, it got the following: Epoxy-based stonechip, traditional underseal then something like waxoyl sprayed into the cavities. I'm not sure that I would, for a resto job wherre it's not possible to get the shell into anything other than a low-bake oven, trust to the hardness of paint alone for adequate chip protection.

Yes, the underseal makes working underneath less than pleasant for the first few months after it's applied. Yes, not to everyone's taste aesthetically. There are an awful lot of places underneath a bus that you can't adequately cover with paint, and I figured that between spraying different species of gloop I'd get them adequately protected for the next twenty years.

My experience of POR-15 hasn't been as overwhelmingly positive as most other peoples, and it's probably down to my surface prep. (This was a couple or three years before I did the full resto) I did the metal ready thing and prepped it as well as I could on my back on the driveway, pressure washer, wire brush, metal ready. I'm not sure whether it was because of the Hammerite the PO had used at some point, but when I came to restoring it fully the POR-15 was coming away - very much like milk skin. But in the places where it did stick...v.good. I just mention it so that you know that if you do go down this path it really isn't as unforgiving as some might have you believe, in my experience - it's real prep dependant.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Geisen wrote:
Our beloved buses were not blessed at the factory with immersion painting. All the places on and within the body that could not be sprayed are bare metal, probably more un painted than painted.

All VW's enjoyed a full primer dip at the factory, that's what all the little rubber plugs at the corners of the cargo floors and at the tops of cavities are for, primer drainage and bubble release. Unfortunately even the best coatings can't last 30+ years with salt and humidity attacking them.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
BillJohnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, I like Jeff Geisen's take on this issue, although that really great picture from busdaddy seems to refute the immersion painting opinion that he holds. I do think he has a valid point about not being able to know what's going on once it's covered up.

I think if I did coat the undercarriage, I wouldn't go with a sound deadener product (I have yet to hear from anyone using this on the undercarriage), but maybe something a bit more robust like POR-15. Of course, as a paint contractor who has been in the business for 35 years, proper prepping is critical. You can have the greatest paint money can buy and watch it fail without taking the time to prep it properly.
Marv [UK]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coating the underside with just one product is like painting your walls with gloss paint as well as your skirting boards and doors. You need different things for different areas

Clean it with a grinder and knotted wheel then rust bullet or POR 15 it.

For the bits you can't get to, waxoyl or equivalent to fill all the gaps like in the sills (or rockers as you call em, can't see why, they don't rock Wink) and the top hat sections and stuff.

then you liberally coat all the other bits you can see with underbody seal and stonechip

the point is that underbody seal doesn't cover sins if you know what your underbody is like. it flakes off when it gets rusty underneath and it has nothing to cling to.

surface rust is fine, it can be covered and forgotten about. flaky orrible biscuit rust is what you need to find and deal with. With work, your bus could last another 30 years, without it, once they start to go they go FAST!
BillJohnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marv,

I missed your post. Thanks for the product recommendations. Funny, some years ago, I went to this old guy who ran a body shop. He didn't want to tackle the rust on my bus, but he did give me a short tutorial on rust preventative products. After decades in the trenches, he thought that Waxoyl was the best rust preventative.

Last edited by BillJohnson on Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosmoline is close is it not to Waxoyl?
Oil Phil-M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious, what was the original colour of the underbelly of our buses? I'm goint to be undertaking a metal repair project in the future. Currently faced with a thick ashphalt based undercoating everywhere that I'll need to scrape off first.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey with body color overspray on the frame rails and body color in the wheel wells.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Cosmoline is close is it not to Waxoyl?

yes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: