Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to lock the door.....
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Macca_nzl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: How to lock the door..... Reply with quote

Hey,

I have searched for this and its a really stupid simple question, on the 62 bug i just bought i can't figure out how to lock the passenger door from the inside, it does not have the push button or the handle that you push in,anyone know how as i had to leave it unlocked at the storage area tonight.

wanted - Blade from ambo fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should just have to push the inside dooor handle towards the front of the car (opposite direction frm opening). It should click forward and then be locked.

. . . I got 99 problems and my bus ain't one . . .

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Macca_nzl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok, That simple. Thanks alot.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KSims1868
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: another tip Reply with quote

Here's another tip...you can't just push the door handle forward and then shut the door. That won't lock the door.

You have to lock it with the key (I think) when locking it from the outside.
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: another tip Reply with quote

KSims1868 wrote:
Here's another tip...you can't just push the door handle forward and then shut the door. That won't lock the door.

You have to lock it with the key (I think) when locking it from the outside.

Outside passenger side handle doesn't have a keyhole. It has to be locked as described above, from the inside handle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
back2dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha! i had the same problem. tried to lock the car from the outside and I was all, "What the hell??"

Yep, just push the handle up towards the windshield and you are golden
KSims1868
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: old chevy truck Reply with quote

Quote:
Passenger side must be locked from the inside

Yep...that is true. I remembered this when I bought my '65 Bug because my '66 Chevy Truck was the same way.
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is the limiting factor making it only lockable from the inside? The lack of a key hole on the passenger side door? Because my '65 has key holes on both sides, could I not lock it from the outside? Just curious.

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: old chevy truck Reply with quote

KSims1868 wrote:
Yep...that is true. I remembered this when I bought my '65 Bug because my '66 Chevy Truck was the same way.

Hey, KSims, I've got a '65 Chevy truck as well, you got Harley's too?

-jeffrey
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Us old school VW nuts know this sorta thing

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
6d7vdub
Samba Slacker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gblakeney wrote:
So what is the limiting factor making it only lockable from the inside? The lack of a key hole on the passenger side door? Because my '65 has key holes on both sides, could I not lock it from the outside? Just curious.

if you use your key to lock the door from the outside, you must depress the button as you shut the door or it will not stay locked. On some cars, like mine, this is a PITA since my driver door isnt the best. So I leave nothing of value in my car and havent locked it since I bought it...hehe

Sadie's Site

http://positivepause.com
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gblakeney wrote:

Yeap, the keyhole is only on driver's side on earlier bugs. I'm not sure what years though. Mine is a 63.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pickdr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.... i wonder what i have on my '65 then, because my locking mechanism is in the door handle. when i lock the door, the lock flips in the handle and the button doesn't depress. nothing goes on inside the door. ...it's all in the outer handle. (don't bother me none)
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6d6vdub wrote:
gblakeney wrote:

if you use your key to lock the door from the outside, you must depress the button as you shut the door or it will not stay locked. On some cars, like mine, this is a PITA since my driver door isnt the best. So I leave nothing of value in my car and havent locked it since I bought it...hehe

OK, so what if I close the door first then use the key . . .would it lock? Would I have to press the button as I use the key? I am only asking because my car is in 2000+ pieces and I cannot go try Confused
I can see it unlocking if I first lock it, then close the door without holding the button - several imports were that way back in the day. Some may still be . . .

Thanks,

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
pickdr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your avitar is freakin me out.
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHAHAHA . . . creepy isn't it?

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: door handles Reply with quote

if your 65 doesnt have a flipper to lock the door then it is a 61-63 handle with the slider that prevents button from being pushed inwards when locked.
pickdr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a relief,
thanks!

who is that on your avitar anyway??

-dave
angela
Southern Dumbell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

even new vws only have a keyhole on the drivers side. when i got my 65, she already had aftermarket handles-with keyholes on both sides(dont know if 65 was supposed to be or not-my books are 4500 miles away w/ my dubs) anyway, i went and got some new aftermarket handles myself. still couldnt lock the bitch. chances are on a car that old, the door handles prolly been replaced, or somewhere along the way, something was f%#ked up in the door. so, if you're wondering why your car dont lock the way it should from the factory, just check everything out and play wit it til it works. i'll get around to it on mine someday Shocked
Macca_nzl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i got the 2 dubs they came with a massive assortment of different keys, i managed to lock the passenger door - thanks now i just have to figure out which keys go with which car,should be interesting.

What years did vw use the cut-out vw keys that would make it easier.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: