Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedwell Flat-4 reproduction steering wheel
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Speedwell Flat-4 reproduction steering wheel Reply with quote

While at the ISP West BBQ 2009 I had the chance to compare the new reproduction Speedwell wheel from Flat-4 with my original Speedwell wheel. There are some differences that will separate the original form the repro. The quality of the Flat-4 wheel is top notch and I am in no way knocking it here. In fact it felt more solid than the original. The wood grain is a dead on match to the original, and has a very nice gloss finish. Here are a couple of the differences (with the repro).

- The aluminum spokes are a thicker gauge. Which IMO makes it strong.
- The spokes, at their smallest point, before they flare out to the wood is wider.
- The wood rim is slightly thicker.

If you notice in the picture the center section of the repro is larger in diameter than the original one pictured. The difference probably being between an early and a later model of the wheel. They were both offered originally. The repro has a dish of about 4 inches. I didn't measure it, but it was deeper than mine which is three inches.

ISP is working on a boss for this wheel. The one they had was for display only and they are not yet selling it.

Original on the left. Reproduction Flat-4 on the right.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the boss fit the real speedwell / formula wheel ?

might keep mine that i have for sale if they do... Question

How deep is the dish ?

cheers
ste
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keldog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woow looks like i got an og speedwell wheel on my bug when i bought it. any idea what they're worth?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: