Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tips on replacing steering rack boots?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Tips on replacing steering rack boots? Reply with quote

I tried Bentley and searched the forums, but there don't seem to be many details on procedure. If anyone's done this before, I'd welcome your expertise.

Also, is it necessary to have the van re-aligned afterwards? And if so, can I get the alignment straight enough to get me to the shop?

Or maybe I'll just let the shop do the whole deal. While they're at it, they can figure out where the hell my power steering is leaking from.

Thanks,
James
camerahunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rack has seals on the ends before the boot.
Once the seals pop it has to be rebuilt or replaced.
Years ago I was where you are, zip tied the boot, then hose clamped them, still leaked like mad.
Once in the shop (for something else) they explained how they are designed and I declined to have it replaced.
Still have the van an just drive it without power steering.

David
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is based upon manual steering knowledge, but in terms of boots, should apply.

The lock nut and/or tie rod end could be rusted. Apply penetrating fluid well in advance. Count how many turns it takes to remove each outer tie rod end.

Installing the boots can be annoying. I found that a screwdriver with the end ground round and bent at ~45* was useful for slipping boot on at point between rack and frame.

Assuming front end geometry is ok before you start work, and if you install tie rod ends exactly as they were, should be fine to drive to the front end shop. It may be that a toe adjustment isn't needed, but personally I'd have the toe checked.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Brian556
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if the method of replacing the boots differs between manual and power steering. I have a manual rack. I replaced the tie rod and boots at the same time. The way I did it was:

1. Remove old boots and remove complete tie rod.
2. Slip new boot over the new tie rod beginning at the tie rod end.
3. Pop the boot over the rubber cylinder on the tie rod.
4. Install the tie rod onto the rack and grease.
5. Install the larger end of the boot onto the rack. (A screwdriver is not necessary and may tear the boot. Use two hands and pull it over the rack.)
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! I'm giving it a shot tonight.

David, I will likely wind up doing the same (running w/o power steering), as the cost of a new/refurb rack is out of the question for now. The leak is very slow at this point, so I'm just keeping an eye on my PS reservoir.

Thanks again! If it weren't for the inhabitants of Samba, I'd be up an unnamed creek.

James
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: