Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Summer oil???
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:36 am    Post subject: Summer oil??? Reply with quote

I have been running Valvoline SAE30 in my '77 bus (2L Type IV Fuel Injected) and was just wondering if there is a better weight to run during the hot summer months. I have read many differing opinions on the subject. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject: Summer oil??? Reply with quote

i drive a 73 westy and have been told to run sae30 in the cold, sae40 in the heat, i would recomend castrol gtx, and they have some oil for high milage vehicles as well, im happy with castrol,
good luck
Tyler
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 8:38 am    Post subject: Summer oil??? Reply with quote

I run 30wt. in my 1600 and have for over 20 years. I do change it once in awhile though.
Running 30wt. is fine if you live in California, which I do. And it's probably OK for you too.

The more that you read about oil, the more that you will worry. Multiweight? Synthetic? Additives? Golden Spectro? Racing Oil? Castrol? Valvoline? Chevron? Agip?

Just use 30wt. detergent and change it now and then, OK? And don't believe everything you read by people trying to sell you their brand of bullshit.

On the other hand, it *IS* very important to change the air in your tires from summer air to winter air. Very important!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:46 pm    Post subject: Summer oil??? Reply with quote

You might consider 20W50. I've run that for nine years in my former '69 Westy during the summer. This may help reduce start-up wear and will help out on very hot days as well.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 4:39 pm    Post subject: Summer oil??? Reply with quote

LOL
"On the other hand, it *IS* very important to change the air in your tires from summer air to winter air. Very important!"
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 9:36 am    Post subject: Summer oil??? Reply with quote

What oil you use would depend on the temperature its run in. Here in Arizona I run Pennzoil 20w50 (it gets up to 105+ in the shade here). But changing the oil often and having the engine compartment seals and tin intact is probably more important than the weight of oil used.If you can keep the oil cool and free of contaminants the engine will last much longer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: