Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12v flywheel swap- having issues...
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sid Vicious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: 12v flywheel swap- having issues... Reply with quote

Ok- This might be long, but I want to get all the details in...

I have a 66 with a 1600 and 12v electrical. This is how the car was configured when I bought it.

Turns out it had a 6v flywheel & clutch parts and a 12v starter. The starter chewed away at the flywheel until there wasn't enough left to start the car.

We pulled the motor and installed 12v flywheel and clutch parts, checking the end play and getting .005". We didn't realize it's also got a 6v bell housing. The guys came out and clearanced the bell housing and reinstalled the motor while I was at work.

When I got home from work I hooked up the electrical and accessories and tried to start the car but it wouldn't turn.

I've pulled the motor again today and it looks like the flywheel fit well enough(though I can't be sure), but the motor is REALLY hard to turn with a wrench on the crank pulley nut.

I wasn't there when they shimmed the flywheel and installed the motor, but is it possible that the flywheel is shimmed too tight? I have the motor rebuild book and the idiot guide, but have never tackled this operation, nor do I own a dial gauge to test the end-play.

Related question: Can I take the flywheel off and compare it to the inside of the bell housing, or would that negate the shimming and end-play measurement?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GA_Boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't hurt to take it off, just measure endplay first to insure proper clearance.
You must use three shims behind the flywheel. These shims come in different thicknesses. Using various thicknesses of any three to get the required endplay is the way to go. Don't use 2 shims and don't use 4 shims. Wink

I don't kmow about the clearancing. I've heard that if it is just barely hindering the flywheel go ahead and crank it over and the flywheel will finish the clearanceing. Not sure if this method is safe but if you take the flywheekl off go ahead and check it before setting endplay.
Marvin
Sid Vicious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that I don't have a gauge to measure the end-play or a torque wrench to re-install it right.

matter of fact, my roommate just told me that they didn't have a torque wrench when they put it on in the first place. Could this problem just be over-torquing?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rpm750
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may of used this tool...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It is used to torque the flywheel and rear drums, a torque wrench is used and it is multiplied by the leverage of the tool. 9 times to be exact. Sounds like the end play is way tight.

Check the end play again, take it to a shop and let them check it! Let the "Guys" check it again. Sounds like End play to me!

'64 Sunroof "Geek"
'74 SB "Chigger"
'70 Bus

Georgia Dubs
Sid Vicious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they didn't have a torquewrench so they played it by foot with the breaker bar... Probably over-torqued, huh?
Sid Vicious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh- And they didn't use the TorqueMeister on the flywheel nut.
GA_Boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid Vicious wrote:
Oh- And they didn't use the TorqueMeister on the flywheel nut.

To torque it Redneck style put a 48" cheater pipe on and stand on a set of bathroom scales (Weigh yourself first) and press down at the end of the 48"bar until you are 60 pounds lighter. 60 x 4 = 240 ft lbs. Not the best way but it beats guessing.
Some parts houses loan tools but I'm not sure if they loan torque wrenches.

About the end play----------Pull and push on the flywheel or front pulley. If you can feel it move but cant see it move it's probably OK.
You could, if you are careful, use a "C" clamp and a feeler gauge to measure it.
Marvin
Sid Vicious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good ideas. I'm gonna borrow/beg a torque wrench tomorrow, but will 'set' the end play like you said. Kinda like the front bearings, eh?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: