Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Seat Upholstery Sewfine vs. Wet Okole
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
billwilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Front Seat Upholstery Sewfine vs. Wet Okole Reply with quote

Gents

I dont want a Westy that i cant throw in a wet dog
sand and mud, spill a little coffee, get some food on the seats

HOWEVER, my front seats are getting a bit threadbare
I am close to popping foam out in a couple of places

I have tried the cheapy covers on many cars
It does not work for me

Yes there is a price tag, however i am blessed that
that is not too big a deal
Sew fine = $300 plus install
Okole = $400 plus install

I know for me, if i dress up the headliner, panels seats etc
i will not enjoy it as much

Any FIRST HAND experiance of duribility
SewFine vs. Wet Okole

Sew fine has more choices
Wet Okole is a easier install

thoughts?
comments?

thanx in advance

BW
.... but only after 6 days of no sun Smile
16' rims / WBX
Fiamma, 130 watt solar, 198 amp hour batts
Truck Fridge, Coco Mats
and of course:
the hard mount for my Pith Helmet!
vanagonforever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have vinyl SewFine seats. I went with the delux trim using off white and brown. I installed them a little over a year ago and I have zero complaints. I do not baby them AT ALL. I have a 60 lbs German Shorthaired Pointer that rides shotgun whenever my wife isn't sitting next to me. He is often muddy and not very gentle hopping into the seat. He doesn't seem to be able to make a dent in the vinyl at all - not a scratch. When he gets down the seat is often wet, covered in mud, and a bit furry. I keep some of those armor all cleaning wipes in the cabinet and all it takes is a quick wipe down and my wife is happy to reclaim her seat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen some Wet Okole seat covers in a jeep and they looked horrible from the sun. I am sure that in a westy would see less sun but it isn't a 20 year fix. For the price that they are asking for seat covers you can have your seats professionally recovered.
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sewfine all the way. installation of front seats is not easy per se but it's not technically hard. just takes time, patience, a few curse words and a bit of muscle.

after doing mine they we're as taught as i wanted because the foam was so worn down. i just added some foam on top, and it came out great.

if you have a westy than that's the hardest part. the middle seat with armrest was a whole different nightmare.

i did vinyl and mine have been completely covered with muddy paws and were easily cleaned with a wet rag.

like vanagonforever i have not only one, but two german shorthaired pointers and they have yet to wreck my seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
camo westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Sewfine make up a front set, custom fabric with black piping.
Sewfine made up the set with brown piping, I called, and told them of the mistake, they made another set, and sent the new correct set before they recieved the brown piping set back.
The only reason I mentioned the mix up is that Sewfine handled the mistake honestly and quickly... basicly we all make mistakes, and we are responsible for making things right. Sewfine did exactly that. Customer service such as this cant be beat.

I then ordered the remainder of the seat covers from Sewfine for the rear seats to match the front.

I highly recommend SewFine, great folks, great products.
They know what they are doing, and care about their customers.

As for the quality of material, I have dogs/kids and the covers look new after 1 1/2 years of use, camping etc.

Installation fo front covers is somewhat time consuming, allow one eveing per seat. Get those two wires good and tight... Well worth the time and money.

I had a CJ7 with Oakleys, they got sunburnt after 2-3 years, but that was with the top off, however the Jeep was parked inside most of the time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fixedgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an '86 Weekender with the rear facing seat. Came with the beige cord. seat covers which all disintegrate after about 10 years.

The front seat covers were pretty bad, but the worst were the the arm rests and the rear facing seat cushion.

Decided to phone Sewfine for the single seat and the four front arm rest covers, and order mid-level quality sheepskins for the front seats. Sheepskins are like a natural thermostat, warm in the winter and cool in the summer. This solution would not work for the guy with the German Pointer with muddy feet, but I think they are great. Saved a bunch of hours on install over the front seat covers as well. Bought the camel tone.

The seat cover and arm rest covers from Sewfine are excellent. These people are top quality to deal with. They sent samples to me in advance, and very quickly. I choose the toast tweed, since I was trying to get close to original colours. The match with the original cordouroy is close, so close that I decided to not do the back yet of the rear-facing seat. The match as well with the camel sheepskins really is good too.

I fought like crazy to get the arm rest covers on, but phoned Sewfine, and they advised putting the foam exposed arm rests inside of dry cleaning plastic to help getting the rests in through the holes in the new covers. Also, I took them into the steam bath with me to get the foam softened a little bit first. I might be the first vanaholic who takes steam baths with his van-I don't know.

Lastly, I just bought a case of cork flooring for the floor of the van. The product is all natural, no fillers or glues, and provides some sound and heat insulation as well ( in theory). Can't wait to get it down. The colour match with the sheepskins camel and the Sewfine toast will be great.
AkEv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dense question:
Do the sewfine seat covers go on OVER the factory upholstery or are you swapping the new for the old? It sounds like you are able to strip the seats down to frame and cushion and then install the replacements? And if that is the case, what's the difference between 1) having seats re-upholstered and 2) going with sewfine seat covers?

I haven't seen any pics or explicit directions regarding this, so I remain clueless.

Thanks for indulging
Evan
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Wet Okoles and they are great. They fit really well and because they are neoprene they stretch over the seats and conform to the shape nicely. What I like most about them is that you can toss them in the washer and they come out looking new. I had a MAJOR incident with a brake fluid power bleeder that sprung a leak under pressure while sitting on the drivers seat. Sprayed brake fluid all over the place but mostly on the Wet Okole seat cover. Not only did all that brake fluid not penetrate the neoprene, but it all came out in the wash. IMHO, neoprene has a lot more inherent flexibility to resist punctures than vinyl does. The other nice thing about neoprene is that you don't stick to it no matter how hot it gets in the van. I've had mine for 5 years and they look new. They are worth every penny.

Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:
I have the Wet Okoles and they are great. They fit really well and because they are neoprene they stretch over the seats and conform to the shape nicely. What I like most about them is that you can toss them in the washer and they come out looking new. I had a MAJOR incident with a brake fluid power bleeder that sprung a leak under pressure while sitting on the drivers seat. Sprayed brake fluid all over the place but mostly on the Wet Okole seat cover. Not only did all that brake fluid not penetrate the neoprene, but it all came out in the wash. IMHO, neoprene has a lot more inherent flexibility to resist punctures than vinyl does. The other nice thing about neoprene is that you don't stick to it no matter how hot it gets in the van. I've had mine for 5 years and they look new. They are worth every penny.

Jeff

Got any pictures of them?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixedgear,
any chance you could post some pictures of yours?

I also have an '86 weekender and am looking at options for replacing the corduroy shred-o-matic on the box jumpseat and rear bench.
I've already replaced my front captain's chairs with some nice tan ones from an '87 GL.

thanks!
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take some tomorrow and post them.

Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dingchowping
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom has had Wet Okolies in her 2000 Audi TT since it was new. They've never been out of the car to be cleaned, they fit great (better than any aftermarket seat cover I've encountered...which is a lot considering I drive 10-15 different cars every day) and still look brand new. Only issue is they stink. Being wet suit material they smell like a wet suit, or a tire shop. The smell does diminish over time but it never completely goes away. Granted, the TT's interior volume is microscopic compared to the Vanagon. Maybe the added space will dilute the smell a bit.

Fantastic product...just be aware it'll make your interior smell like rubber.

TTFN,
Adam
fixedgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure-will attempt to post tomorrow. I have never posted pictures before, do you post to the gallery first?

What colour is/was you cordouroy? I think I may still have the samples Sewfine sent. Will let you know tomorrow. Quite a range, but they were suggestions for the dark brown exterior with tan cord.

Thanks, Barnaby

Jamos wrote:
fixedgear,

I also have an '86 weekender and am looking at options for replacing the corduroy shred-o-matic on the box jumpseat and rear bench.
I've already replaced my front captain's chairs with some nice tan ones from an '87 GL.

thanks!

Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixedgear wrote:
Sure-will attempt to post tomorrow. I have never posted pictures before, do you post to the gallery first?

What colour is/was you cordouroy? I think I may still have the samples Sewfine sent. Will let you know tomorrow. Quite a range, but they were suggestions for the dark brown exterior with tan cord.

Thanks, Barnaby

Jamos wrote:
fixedgear,

thanks!

You need to post the pics in the gallery or on photobucket/flickr/etc, and then you can copy the IMG link code in your post, and they will show up.

I have the tan corduroy and have thought about getting some samples from sewfine as well.

Pics would be awesome, thanks for taking the time.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link on how to post pictures.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked in to getting covers or new upholstery from both. After I priced them out I bought a whole parts van with good interior for less.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fixedgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamos-I managed to get two pictures to the Vanagon section of the gallery. One of the rear facing seat, and one of the front seats showing the sheepskins and the arm rests. When I tried to enter it into a post, I could not figure out how to expand to a larger width and height. The size on the Gallery seems to be conventional compared to other posted pictures however. Still trying to find samples Sewfine sent me. As I mentioned, I ordered the Toast, but with the vinyl sides both for the arm rests, and the rear-facing seat, and have not yet installed the back to the rear-facing seat as the cord. has not totally destructed. Barnaby

Jamos wrote:
fixedgear wrote:

Thanks, Barnaby

Jamos wrote:
fixedgear,

thanks!

You need to post the pics in the gallery or on photobucket/flickr/etc, and then you can copy the IMG link code in your post, and they will show up.

I have the tan corduroy and have thought about getting some samples from sewfine as well.

Pics would be awesome, thanks for taking the time.

PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to enlarge the pictures before you post them. This is how big they really are. After you post them, all you need to do is copy where it says "Forum Code" above the picture and paste it in your post.

fixedgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PDXWesty, as you might be able to tell I am the local president of the Ban the Cell Phone and GPS committee. Just to clarify for a muddy mind-can the pics be enlarged after they are in the Gallery when you post to a thread, or do you enlarge prior to posting to the Gallery?
snappy52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Seats and interior Reply with quote

To me one of the most frustrating issues always seems to be when ordering this stuff the color palettes change depending on the monitor your viewing it on. Be careful before ordering. Make sure you get actual material samples. There is allot of difference between what you look at online and the actual color.

I am a beginner at this and at this stage in my build and can tell you first hand, get samples..

Also usually interior installers are gonna tell you buy a kit and they will put it in.
This is the answers I got from several so far. So I took the plunge and will do it myself. I am not building a trailer queen.. I like to enjoy my toys!
Happy Holidays to all you buggers out there! Your info has been vast and very informative,,,
Snappy... Very Happy [/img]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: