Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CARPAC suction cup roof rack
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: CARPAC suction cup roof rack Reply with quote

I just found one of these and can't locate any information about them online. It's a pretty nice rack in decent condition - it's mainly wood with aluminum rails. It has four double-suction cup mounts for the car. Was made in Bend, Oregon of all places.

I can take a pic tonight but I thought I'd post about it to see if anyone knows anything about it.

Thanks!
OwnYourReality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: CARPAC suction cup roof rack Reply with quote

I used to have one of these though not quite as you describe it. Mine was all aluminum & had one identifying tag (i think it was on the rear of the rack). The CARPAC name doesn't ring a bell but Bend Oregon does. I'm pretty sure that was the place. The rack had 1 suction cup at each corner which was angled to match the roof line. It came with/on a 1960 Sunroof Sedan that I had bought from a fellow after I watched it sitting in his garage for years. Turns out his son was the original owner & it only had about 34,000+ miles on it. I was eager & inexperienced then, so I sold it after holding on to it for years myself. Sorry I have no concrete info on it for you but the rack you describe sounds very similar & until now, I hadn't seen or heard of one like it either.
shawns73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father had one on our bug in the early 60's. Not certain as to the manufacturer. It had the four suction cups, wooden slats and metal siding. Over the years I've kept my eyes open, but have never come across one. I'd love to see a pic when yo have a chance.
Thanks,
Shawn
OwnYourReality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: suction cup roof rack Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this looks like someone had cut off the original legs & added the angle iron (maybe to fit over the ragtop?) but the suction cups matched the roofline perfectly.[/img]
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost NOS Carter Carpac roof rack. It sits on my buddies 55 Chevy right now but it looks like it would fit fine due to the length.

Anyone seen this type on a bus?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turkis-deluxe wrote:

Almost NOS Carter Carpac roof rack. It sits on my buddies 55 Chevy right now but it looks like it would fit fine due to the length.

This is the exact same one I have, minus the bag. Thanks for the pics!
bugforsale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Carter Carpac Reply with quote

Corwin- If you have one of these, I can answer questions for you, too because I have had a few, collected sales literature (the only I have ever seen anyone have), and know a little about them. I am mostly into the woodie wagons, which is what I buy them for.

Confused, though-you say it's a carter Carpac, but then you remembered it was made in Bend, OR (says right on the label, "Portland..."). Not a big deal, but if it's like the ones Turkis-Deluxe posted, it's a Carter. Funny, the other guy says he had one just like it, not made of wood...all aluminum...and different. That's a different rack, then.

You can send me a PM or whatever, and maybe I can scan/send some cool paperwork to go with yours for you.

To "Turkis-Deluxe"====I just saw your friend's '55 Chevy wagon pics on a Chevy forum. Great find. That's one of the 2 biggest sizes, and with the bag? Nice.

They came in a few sizes, from a
36"?-(going by memory right now) W x 40-ish" Long one for
"small foreign cars", to a 42" x 78" Extra-long station wagon model. Bags were accessories for each size, and the racks were very expensive, hand-made items.

The last one I found was right near here, in Boulder City, NV and the original owner had it. the "special" 47" width, by 60" long. With bag and the still-NOS, sealed liner for the bag.
That's the one that had the sales literature with it. He had ordered the flyers through the mail first, and kept it all.
In 1964 this couple had bought it and the bag, and the inner, fitted plastic liner for the cnvas bag, and had it truck shipped (cost $9.50 from OR to So. NV - he still had the receipt in the file!) and it cost over $150. total.
This was quite expensive for the time, of course. Like a what...$1500. roof rack, now?

The sales flyers show one VW oval with a rack, and a bunch of other late 1950s foreign cars. Actually the car is to round to "work" with this design I think, but I am surprised they didn't photograph a Type 2 with one. Should work well, as the width is similar to the wagons the 42" wide models were meant to go on.

The "feet" (which are NOT suction cups) sit on the roof, then there are litle turnbuckle connectors which go through eye bolts in the side WOOD rail, then go down and "grab" onto the roof rail, and almost any angle to the roof rail.
There's the one-size-fits all part of the rack.

Let me know if you'd like some info sent your way, and I can work on it. If you are going to use it lt me know if you ever need parts because I am always looking to buy CARTER racks, bags, parts and I may come across what you need.

There is a guy in Oregon who bought the rights an design from the company's owner's heirs. They start at something like $1500. p to $1800.+ for these nice reproductions (made from original moulds, etc., though).

But I have seen NOS 1- owner ones go on ebay, and not bring more than $400.. They are out there. I hear a LOT of stories about "that one on ebay that brought $1200. ...", etc.. Never happens.

But the best one I have seen on ebay was a 1-owner, 6.5" one (the biggest), and it sold for under $400.. They are next to impossible to ship, even by Greyhound, for any real amount. That's why they aren't selling for super-high prices. A guy has been trying to sell me a basically MINT one, with the bag for almost $800.. Actually, that's too much, PLUS getting it here is another $200.-$250. proposition.
bugforsale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those AREN'T SUCTION CUPS.
bugforsale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Carter Carpac RACK! Reply with quote

Here is one from reference material I have, that I have also posted in the SAMBA Gallery:
[/img]
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: suction cup roof rack Reply with quote

Steve Fischer wrote:

this looks like someone had cut off the original legs & added the angle iron (maybe to fit over the ragtop?) but the suction cups matched the roofline perfectly.[/img]
who made this type of rack???
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my first CarPac on my old DC-

I sold it when I got the BIG rack-

These racks will completely breakdown for shipping. I dismantled my small one. It ended up being very small and cheap to send via UPS. The larger rack could easily ship by Greyhound or USPS.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turkis-deluxe wrote:

Stunning! I just found this thread. I bought this exact model of rack- in very similar condition last year at a local thrift store for $15. I"ll try to snap a picture of it on my bus. As you can imagine- the aluminum discs do not sit flat- they lack enough tilt for the dramatic side-to-side curve of the bus roof. I took two photos- then my proper bus rack came along- and this Carpac went to the barn. I quickly surmised it was ideal for American wagons from the 50s- and on The Samba lies the truth...

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out they are still being made. But at 2050 prices Shocked .

http://www.classicracks.com/

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: