Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Long block cam ID help
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Long block cam ID help Reply with quote

I was just given a 1600 DP long block from a friend of a friend who was tired of tripping over it. As the story goes it was rebuilt for a baja, and the guy building it threw in a "monster" cam, and a set of Dell's. The guy that gave it too me said it wouldn't run till 3500rpm, then pull like a train. It ran for about a year and broke the tip off a push rod. It was pulled and left in the corner of the garage for the last 8 years.

I need to know if there is any way to tell what the cam might be without splitting the case open. Can I pull the pump out and read any numbers, or can I take a dial indicator to measure the lift, and a degree pulley to measure duration??? I am new to aircooled engines, but I would really like to learn to build them. I would like to use this engine plus some parts I have acquired to get my feet wet.

Thanks, Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loosen the perimeter case nuts around the oil pump and you'll be able to get it out. The cam should have some numbers on the gear flange (which you'll be able to see with the pump out). Post the numbers here.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the pump out, and the end of the cam is stamped Engle 120. Pretty simple, too big for a 1600 from what I understand. Thanks for the help ALB.

I will start another post about what parts I have and what the ideal cam would be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it figured out. And you're right; the Engle W120 isn't a torquer in1600.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: