Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Iron Lion to Capetown
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Iron Lion to Capetown Reply with quote

Hi guys,

So we thought it would be time for another little endurance test for the T2. As some of you might recall we already did a little warm-up last summer when we drove 10.000 miles from Amsterdam to the Beijing Olympics. You can read more about that trip here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=241979

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyway, next summer things will get serious and we'll be driving our T2 (named Iron Lion for the occasion) from Amsterdam to the soccer world cup in Capetown (South-Africa). It's a 12.500 mile trip through the harshest of conditions. Sand, mud, high temperatures, heavy rain, lions(?). The route will lead us through 15 countries of which 11 are in Africa and 4 in Europe.

Last year we put some major tool time into our bus. We built a Camper Special engine, rebuilt the suspension, overhauled the camper electrics, fresh paintjob and countless other jobs.

Of course there is still room for improvement and we've planned a couple of things already. One of them includes installing an external oil cooler and installing a MegaSquirt fuel injection system parallel to the stock L-jet.

This time round there will be at least 3 participating VW's, a 75 bug, a stock 72 bus and our ride.

Anyway, we'll keep you posted in this topic on our prep work, and of course when we'll be hitting the road by April 2010.
2010: Amsterdam - Cape Town - FIFA World Cup -- 26.000km
2014: New York - Rio de Janeiro - FIFA World Cup -- 27.000km
http://www.oranjetrophy.nl
Camper Special Club Member
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW !!! That is a great trip ! I can't wait to follow your thread.
Virginia Whiteface (Opossum) the first VW
1973 Orange Westfalia Hard top, Original owner
Cpav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your eye out for Dr. Livingston.

I heard he was in a VW too.

Maybe he's just in the south of Egypt waiting for a fuel pump to be delivered.
mikefenton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you looking for things to do with Livingstone, then about 40km out side of Gaborone (botswana) theres the livingstone memorial, one of his familys graves are there.
http://www.botswanatourism.co.bw/attractions/livingstone_memorial_kolobeng.html
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys Smile

Well, here's the first update, I finished assembling my MegaSquirt II ecu yesterday. It really is an awesome piece of kit, can't wait to get it installed in the bus.

V3 PCB

Fully assembled after many hours of soldering.

I also got a LC-1 gauge and sensor kit to go along with it. With it I'll be able to run the MS in closed loop mode. Besides that obvious advantage I'll also be able to use it to get the L-jet properly tuned.

I'm planning to run the MegaSquirt parallel to the L-jet, so if the MS would fail I can just pull the L-jet plug from the adapter box and plug it back into the L-jet computer and off we go. I drew a wiring harness to illustrate this. I'll be using the original TS 1 in the AFM as the intake manifold temperature sensor and the TS 2 as the coolant temperature sensor. The MS won't have control of the AAR and FP, that will still be taken care of by the double relay. 3 sensors are added on a small additional harness to provide the MS with extra input, these are a throttle position sensor, the LC-1 lamda sensor and a VR-sensor.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cool karmann collected
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hats off to you on your trip plans! Although I must say, whoever's driving the bug all that way has got some serious stones...
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, this is a cool trip........kudos to you for your planning and preparation.
What are your plans/ideas for breakdowns on the way?

I am planning a trip from New Mexico, USA to Costa Rica, Central America next year in a 68 Westy that I am going completely through.

Can't wait to read about your exploits thru the desert and heat!

Best of luck to you! Wink Very Happy
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaceful warrior wrote:

What are your plans/ideas for breakdowns on the way?

Well, you can't be prepared for anything of course, but good preparation at least minimizes the risk of a breakdown. On our 10k miles to Beijing we had two FI components fail, the AFM and the double relay, but we carried spares so it was just plug and play. Also we had a rear wheel bearing go bad, but we did make it to Beijing on that bearing. We actually replaced it before we left but we didn't install it with the required finesse...

Basically we just carry spares for stuff we think is likely to break or wears, so that meant all FI components, shocks, V-belts, air filters, oil filter, spark plugs, dizzy, track rod, hoses, hose clamps, fuses, alternator, drive shaft, CV's, grease, coil, etc. and a full toolkit of course.
The Mesgasquirt injection system will make it very easy to troubleshoot the engine and make adjustments on the fly if necessary and in case the system fails we can just plug the L-jet back in.

Lot's of stuff can be fixed on the road, but of course you could strike some bad luck and break something that can't be fixed. We'll also be installing sump and transmission guards to prevent such a case Razz .
aircedar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a compelling reason you will be using a throttle position sensor instead of a manifold pressure sensor?
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it uses both, the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor is integrated in the ECU (there is a connection for it on the front of the case, you can't see it in the pics), so I only have to connect a vacuum line to it, that's why it's not in the wiring diagram. The map sensor is the main load sensor, the AFM will only have the function of switchting current to the fuel pump and measuring intake air temp.
Wild Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of Gas Mileage are you expecting ?Speaking of gas ... your budget must be fairly high in the petrol purchasing dept..... Shocked

On your Italian leg. I know you will take the ferry across the Straights of Messina but where will you depart Sicily for Africa? Another Ferry?

"Wild" Bill Tucker
Pensacola, Fl
1978 Champagne Edition (High Top Camper Converstion.) 2.0L FI
1969 Squareback 2.0L

www.rareairvw.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will be an awesome trip! I grew up in Senegal and will be travelling with you in spirit. My buddy lives in S.A. and has invited me to fly over for the World Cup. Maybe I'll see you there!
josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm planning to run the MegaSquirt parallel to the L-jet, so if the MS would fail I can just pull the L-jet plug from the adapter box and plug it back into the L-jet computer and off we go. I drew a wiring harness to illustrate this. I'll be using the original TS 1 in the AFM as the intake manifold temperature sensor and the TS 2 as the coolant temperature sensor. The MS won't have control of the AAR and FP, that will still be taken care of by the double relay. 3 sensors are added on a small additional harness to provide the MS with extra input, these are a throttle position sensor, the LC-1 lamda sensor and a VR-sensor.

A redundant fuel injection system?
That's awesome!
How are you mounting the trigger wheel?
You've sure got an adventurous spirit. Good luck!
...If If stoner A takes a hit and then stoner B goes right away(not waiting two seconds), he's trying to suck on it while it's still got a vaccum, doesen't get much of a hit at all! Cause it hasn't filled back up all the way yet.

Stoner A is cylinders #2/4 B is #1/3 The plugged bowl is the throttle, the bong is the manifold
purplegodzilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats impressive man. Just dont' get hijack in Somalia.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o292/purpleGORILLA/P1020720.jpg
1985 Westfalia
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

josh wrote:

A redundant fuel injection system?
That's awesome!
How are you mounting the trigger wheel?
You've sure got an adventurous spirit. Good luck!

We're mounting it instead of the A/C pulley, like this:

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=125397

We bought a couple of universal trigger wheels and we'll machine those to fit on the hub. If anyone is interested, let me know, I'll have a couple of them for sale soon.

At the moment we are working on sourcing parts and somewhere around christmas we'll have some full time tool time. By then we'll drop the front axle for a full rebuild and drop the engine for large maintenance and to install the MegaSquirt components.

We've also got a Rancho transmission coming our way equipped with a limited slip diff and 5.14 R/P.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone and we'll keep you all posted.