Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I NEED YOUR HELP... PLEASE,....
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 8:38 pm    Post subject: I NEED YOUR HELP... PLEASE,.... Reply with quote

Hi Guys...
I am faced with a complicated decission I am about to step into the first buy of a VW van, and after looking at about 30 of them I have narrowed it down to two that have to "fall this week"
The first is a 69, all stock, 1500 engine included, non pop top canadian camper conversion, with a great body, interior and a good engine. Problem is it's got little power. The Pressure plate seems to be loose and need a change... It shifts well, pops out of fourth when letting the clutch go too fast, and the rest is good.
The other one is a 1971, pop top camper, rebuilt engine (1600) rebuilt tranny, (has papers to prove it)It runs strong and fast, shifts well... it's a little beaten up and the interior is out, (owner has it in his garage)
Now here comes my question to you VW people.
Should I go for the stock vehicle, do some work on the engine or should I go for the pop top, rebuilt engine that has the power, but the bus needs work...
69 has no rust.
71 has some.
69 has new wheels
so does 71
My heart is beating for the 69.... but as I don't have much money and what I have will go to the purchase of the vehicle and it will be my only vehicle I am a little worried...
HELP
Thanks.
Please email me at [email protected]
Thanks
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 2:40 am    Post subject: I NEED YOUR HELP... PLEASE,.... Reply with quote

Hi if it was me and I dident have that much cash I would go for the 69 because its in better condition. You can always get a better engine for it later. If I had the money to put into body work I would go for the 71. But you must also keep in mind that the 71 is a better year. The 71 had disk brakes up front and the 69 dident. It just depends on if you really want to do the work to the 71. Like I said its real easy to put a better engine in the 69 later. Also it would be pretty cool to have the 71 because it is a 1 year only bus and there arnt as many out there as the other years. I hope I helped.

Chris R.

http://www.geocities.com/thebaywindowcenter/
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 12:08 pm    Post subject: I NEED YOUR HELP... PLEASE,.... Reply with quote

I would suggest going for the '71.
There are advantages in having disc brakes; my '70 Westy was sometimes like trying to stop a dumptruck with a whole load of bricks.
My '71 stops! This is especially important when a some little Acura Integra cuts you off on the freeway.
Also, you get the 'better' wheels (a matter of opinion, of course) and dual port heads.
(Of course, you already know all this, but I am suggesting that these really ARE improvements over the previous years.)
But, in all matters as important as a VW Camper, remember first to follow your heart. Your wallet will eventually follow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 12:08 am    Post subject: I NEED YOUR HELP... PLEASE,.... Reply with quote

Thanks a lot.
As a freak of the classics... I am going to go for the 69. The guy I am buying it from, has restored vdubs before and we are going to sit on his front yard and take the engine apart, put in a new pressure plate, tune the carb, adjust the valves, and do the whole engine check out there. If anything is to be made, price comes down.
The bus is ready for paint, sanded, treated, and primed. Plus it's not a pop top, so it fits in my garage... which is also good.
As of driving on the freeway? Well I will drive on the far right side... and will watch out for Integras on my mini rear view mirrors... I will probably make a big banner to put on the back of the van... something like "WATCH IT... I DON'T HAVE HIDRAULIC BRAKES!!!!" he he he.

Thank you very much for the suggestions.
I ride a 9'8'' Classic 50/50 rail, pintail, single fin surfboard... So I guess the 69, Vdub bus, camper conversion... is for me...

Cheers...

Soulsandman
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 7:52 pm    Post subject: I NEED YOUR HELP... PLEASE,.... Reply with quote

First off the 69 came w/ a 1600cc single port engine not the 1500cc so it's running with a few less ponies than it should. 71 is a pivotal yr. for the type2a. It's the last yr. of the oval tail lights, the last yr. for the upright type1 engine, the first yr. for the 1600cc/dp, first yr. disk brakes. destined to be a classic since VW went to the type4 1.7 ltr. in 72 and the body started to change. DavidK 71/7Pass.Deluxe 69S/Cab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
revned_churchof42@hotmail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: I NEED YOUR HELP... PLEASE,.... Reply with quote

I have a '71, I love it. No pop though. I made window decals like; never drive behind a VW, never get stuck behind a VW Bus, 0 to 55, 11 min. flat. I never , well almost never, drive over 55, so when those inconsiderate drivers cut me off they are usually doing 70 or 80, it's only momentary. And I love your board. Not many long boarders left, I think. I had a 10' balsa Velzey/Jacobs, until I went in the service. I think it gave me brain damage, I kmow it dented my head more than once, damn submarine. But whatever you decide on, sandman, have fun with it. Rev. Ned, The Church of 42. The answer to life, the universe, and everything
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: