Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ripping out the Air Conditioning
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vsyevolod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Ripping out the Air Conditioning Reply with quote

Hey all,

I have a 88 Westy with air conditioning. I'd rather not have it in there so I'm thinking of ripping it out. Is there any kind of market for entire units or it is a better idea to part it out? Or just throw it away??? I'm not a fan of cooling systems. I'd rather drive through Phoenix with my windows down rather than artificial air barraging my lungs. I actually enjoy the heat. Plus, living in Seattle makes it viable for only 2 or 3 days a year. Smile

The guy I bought it from said it isn't working. I supposed I'd have to get it checked out and charged up before selling.

Any tips about how to fully remove one of these puppies? Including hoses hooked up to the engine etc.

TIA,

Stephen
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan to keep the vehicle forever then go ahead but if you ever plan to sell it it's likely to be more attractive with complete (even if non-functioning) A/C. My '87 Westy was like that when I bought it. That said, I'll bet there's a good market for the used system complete, or even parted out if that's what you decide to do.

Here in Virginia, you wouldn't dream of getting rid of that A/C.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've obviously never driven through Phoenix in the summer without A/C... Anything above 110° and having your windows open is like being inside a convection oven. Although I can appreciate your views on the desirability of A/C, you are a distinct minority. John Q Public considers A/C the greatest advancement in automotive technology in the last 30 years and there is a considerable cross section of folks who won't buy a vehicle without it. On the other side there are very few indeed who consider the system a downside. As mentioned if you are never planning on selling, then do what you want, but consider that plans change and never is a very long time.
tangstadt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the don't rip it out. Get in a van with the cabinet above the seat instead of the A/C and I would argue it is almost as useless as non-functioning A/C. Getting the A/C working isn't half the nightmare folks around here make it out to be. It's difficult, but straightforward and in your neck of the woods finding a shop to help you isn't that tough. If you want to get rid of it, keep this post up, the A/C vultures will be circiling, and probably make you a decent officer for the whole shooting match
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not a a /c guy myself, dont like it dont use it but i live in the east coasts equivalent of seattle, not very hot here! but i wouldnt rip it out either, lots of work, my 88 is equipped w/ac hasnt worked in 17yrs but its still there, im never gonna sell but dont want to rip it out either. but then again its your van, if so inclined rip it out...there was a guy on here who took his out and had a good write up about it and it seemed like alot of work to get a little extra storage
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the leave it alone. It's not worth the hassel of ripping it out. What will you really gain? You might actually lose some value on your van. Mine doesn't work either, but it better in place than having the tiny bit of extra space.
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say leave it.

I just about died in the 90 degree heat driving an hour back from denver.

Either roll all the windows down and be hot, miserable and unable to carry out a conversation. Or leave the windows up and pass out at the wheel.

I'd say leave the AC, even if it doesn't work, AC was a huge plus for me on my 87. It would make a significant difference for me in a purchasing decision.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled 3/4's of the overhead ducting out of mine and put a sunroof in the front. Terminated the AC vent just above the rear seats.
Vsyevolod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
You've obviously never driven through Phoenix in the summer without A/C... Anything above 110° and having your windows open is like being inside a convection oven.

Well I didn't want to come off as a real nutcase, but you're forcing my hand here pardner...

I have driven through Phoenix in 105 degree weather, but I kept the windows up! My indoor/outdoor temp was 125 inside!!! I loved it.

Okay, so I'm not John Q Public. Smile

Stephen
Vsyevolod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelhead wrote:
I pulled 3/4's of the overhead ducting out of mine and put a sunroof in the front. Terminated the AC vent just above the rear seats.

I'd love to hear more about this. Sunroof in the overhead luggage area?

Why terminate the AC vent at that point? What was your thought behind that move?

And to everyone else, yes, I'm going to drive this one until I or it dies. So resale is of little concern to me. I actually used the storage in my 84 Westy (where the AC lives), though in my case, I move large musical instruments around all the time and the freed up space would come in very handy.

I know this is not the place to post for selling the AC, though I'm new to the Samba, where's the best place for it?

Stephen
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually went from a non-ac westy to one with ac. I hated losing the space of the overhead cabinet and didn't know what I was going to do. I thought about ripping it out too. The lesson is I adjusted to the lack of space and found new places for everything to live that once occupied the overhead cabinet. It really wasn't a lot of stuff.
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vsyevolod wrote:
Steelhead wrote:

I'd love to hear more about this. Sunroof in the overhead luggage area?

Why terminate the AC vent at that point? What was your thought behind that move?

Long story, but my van didn't start life with a poptop. Short answer is the AC hit the floor when a tree fell on the van. the fix included converting to a country homes camper top. All the gory details here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=273404&highlight=chc

I do have a hack idea for a sunroof in the westy storage rack area, but that's part of a different post about filling the storage area. Highly experimental, though I think it would be cool.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=267905&start=20

Check out the Samba classifieds...good vanagon parts section for selling stuff.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: