Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wanting to install a tachometer?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andylocious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Wanting to install a tachometer? Reply with quote

Can anyone give any advice on how to install a tachometer. I have a 70 bay.Thanks.
58Type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 7:25 am    Post subject: Wanting to install a tachometer? Reply with quote

Trying to remmy right off had how mine is installed...

1 wire goes to the coil, 1 to the ignition for power, and one is the ground.

I am running an AutoMeter Monster Tach so other models may be different, but I think that is all there really is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
at4ever4vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Wanting to install a tachometer? Reply with quote

Vdo and Rocky mountain motorworks sold adaptor panels to install one in the right side "dummy" gauge in the dash. Wiring is as already stated..could be a 4th lead for dash lights.
I've got a gomplete used cluster with tach already installed that we took from a project that's ready to go for sale.
Good luck.
Gordi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
lowdowndub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Wanting to install a tachometer? Reply with quote

I have the tach in my 70 Westy mounted in the empty spot next to the speedo. Works well there, just takes a little modification
koho60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Wanting to install a tachometer? Reply with quote

Check with bus boys, They have all the info on putting in a tach.
JEFFRO
toddgsanford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Wanting to install a tachometer? Reply with quote

most tachs have four wires
Black ground
Red hot switched with ignition
green to Coil same side as condensor green wire
white light
be sure to get a 4cyl tach or you will get the bounce effect. and the dummy panel is very clean fit. you can also drill out your dummy panel. I painted it black and installed the guage.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Wanting to install a tachometer? Reply with quote

Hey - just a thought... I had a VDO tach installed in my '74 by a very reputable VW (Transporter) shop... they used normal 12 gauge wire for all the connections. The gauge can be "programmed" for 4, 6, or 8 cylinder engines. But I get the jumping needle thing, especially when I turn on the headlights or even put it in reverse. I've had people suggest I use a coax cable to run to the coil, which makes sense because that's a long distance to run a wire and allows plenty of opportunity for EMI (Electro-Magnetic Interference). Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this one?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Wanting to install a tachometer? Reply with quote

I installed a tach in my '69 Westy in the blank gauge to the right of the speedo(where the clock was installed on some models). I installed the large gauge ~2.5 inch diameter. I also installed the smaller VDO oil temp gauge on the dash just below the radio...used a door knob drill bit to cut a nice clean hole and it fit perfectly.
Joel Rosado
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Wanting to install a tachometer? Reply with quote

MY 936 PORSCHE TACH WAS EASY AS BUTTER. NEXT TO THE SPEDDOMETER.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: