Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40HP Serial Number not on Samba VIN list
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: 40HP Serial Number not on Samba VIN list Reply with quote

I've got a 40Hp 'barn find' with a serial number that is not on the Samba VIN List.
The SN is 0795619. It is definitely a 40HP case with a fresh-air fan shroud and a 6 volt generator.

I understand that many cases have very faint markings but even if this were the case the numbers do not match anything in the VIN range for a 40HP engine. I even checked for an Industrial Engine with no luck.

Is there something I'm missing?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Bugone.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a 40HP come with a Zero before the main number. Well, not until the D-series came out. Could it be there's a D there that is so weakly stamped you can't see it? A D0795619 would have been from model year 1971. I have a 1300 F-block that's like that with a very faint letter stamp - if the lighting is different you can't even tell it's an F here:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have seen "wrong" numbers stamped onto blank replacment cases, recently I came across a later 40HP block with a 32xxxxx number, I thought it might be a "bastard" at first til I looked closer and looked up the numbers here and found the bastards weren't until 34xxxxxx. And it wasn't a bastard - as I found when I stripped that block down. I wonder if this is what's up with this one.

Anyways, does this case have the small hole for the oil fill under the generator stand, or the later larger D shaped opening? Are you going to tear this apart and see what's inside it? Post some photos if you can.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it's a 40hp engine? That number would match perfectly with an early Bus 1500.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: 40HP not! Reply with quote

Thanks Andy and Everett for straightening me out on this. Guess I was so excited that I had 'found' a unique 40HP engine that I didn't check close enough. I am so used to working on Bugs that I didn't check that it could have been a Bus engine.
It seems now that it is an Early Bus 6-volt 1500. The case has no additional numbers or letters (not even faintly) and no VW symbol stamp where the engine SN is stamped.
Thanks again and forgive my jumping the gun on this.
Bugone
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: