Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 brake help
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: 69 brake help Reply with quote

Just replaced cylinder that was bad. Bled brakes. There is stioll no pressure to brake pedal. She stops after a few pumps, but I thought the cylinder was the problem.
Any ideas???
Maggie
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: 69 brake help Reply with quote

Shoes adjusted up? someone needs to adjust the shoes by turning the adjusting stars till the shoes just "scrape the drum". if they are not adjusted it takes several pumps to get the shoes out far enough to contact the drums, many people mistake this for air in the system.
It's a good place to start, but you could still have other issues... good luck
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: 69 brake help Reply with quote

keifer-
the dude at the local shop suggested replacing the 'adjusters.'
Any thoughts?
glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: 69 brake help Reply with quote

Sometimes the adjusting stars will be rusted frozen, making adjustment impossible. Sometimes you can free them with a blunt punch and hammer, being careful not to shear off the adjuster tips. Sometimes you can even pull the drum off, pull the shoes and hardware, using the same punch and hammer pop the adjusters sideways out of the bores and clean em up. Lightly, and I mean very lightly grease the bores and slide the adjusters back in. If the threads are stinky, wire brush them up until the adjuster is free. Do it your self, it's a no brainer.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: 69 brake help Reply with quote

You are the best!
I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend....
glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: 69 brake help Reply with quote

Maggie- the "Idiot's guide" by John Muir is a great book for illustrations and general directions, especially for tune-ups, brakes, and suspension. Don't forget that when you go to pull the front drums off, the left front left drum will have reverse thread on the spindle. Instead of lefty loosey, righty tighty, it'll be opposite. Have fun, use brake cleaner, don't drop the bearings in the dirt.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: 69 brake help Reply with quote

Thanks, glandnut I was too busy to follow up.
Maggie, good luck with it and do buy some new stars for the worst ones they are not that expensive and it may save you some aggravation...
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: 69 brake help Reply with quote

You guys are SOOOO good to me!
Thank you!!!
MAg
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: 69 brake help Reply with quote

oh... by the way. Where can I get this book?
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: 69 brake help Reply with quote

Chirco has them. There is usually a few on e-bay as well. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: