Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

20 mile engine; is this a rod knock?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay for what? You can check valve-to-piston clearance without it.

Either that valve got bent, inhaled something or the seat just cocked itself in there.

At any rate, at least take that topend off.

Are those forged rockers?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the rockers are forged. Scat 1.25s. The good ones.

There is plenty of oil in there. It drained out when I pulled the valve covers off. All that green stuff is oil (Brad Penn).

There was no clay, but there was a micrometer. There was plenty of valve-to-piston clearance.

I need to fix an oil leak and reseal some of the pushrod tubes anyway, so dropping the engine won't be such a big deal. Hopefully I can get away with just getting that one valve/guide/seat repaired.
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the piston hit the valve it is usually the intake valve. But it is also possible it could be a dropped valve seat. I dont think that you cooked the head after just a short time. But you will find out soon.
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 0.520" of lift on the intakes due to the Scat rockers being a little larger than 1.25. I did check the piston to valve clearance and it was about 1/8". It wasn't overheated. It ran hot for those few miles, with oil getting to about 215F, but I attribute that to tuning. Idle CHT is 250F and the highest it got was 350F. The knock started suddenly, barely audible, but got louder and louder.....while it was idling. Rolling Eyes
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might get lucky, and only have to deal with a siezed guide. That usually happens to the exhaust valve on air cooled engines, though.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tore it down today. The pistons are a little oily. I also found oil in the intake ports.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here you can clearly see the valve is stuck.

The combustion chambers. Plug #3 is white, and plug #4 is normal brown. Perhaps #3 ran a little lean.

I also noticed that when I took out the pushrods and stood them on end, oil poured out of all of them except #3 intake, which is the valve in question. It looks like it galled and seized in the guide. How are the valve stems supposed to be lubricated? Splash off from rockers? Did I drop a lifter and lose oil somewhere?
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it's an oiling issue, most likely the guide was too tight when the heads were machined. What usually happens is unscrupulous machine shops will install the guides, but never ream them to finished size. Result is a frozen valve. That's why I always tear down every head I use, even new ones. You never really know what's been done. After I inspect, I do my own lapping job, since that's seldom done by part sellers either. Unfortunately, 'off the shelf' parts are rarely 'finished' parts with this hobby.
The pushrod is empty because when the valve got stuck, there was nothing to keep oil in the pushrod (no spring pressure), so it all leaked out. No other reason than that.

If I were you, I'd see if you can get that spring are retainer off. See if you can coax the valve back out of the guide, and it might be possible to clean up the guide at a machine shop. Might as well look at all of them while you're at it....

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. My local dude out here is back on Monday. I'll get the spring compressor and take a look.
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be easier to take apart if you can get that valve to close first. I would shoot some blaster at the guide from both sides and then gently tap the valve head with the but end of a wooden hammer handle. It will probably move a bit and then snap back closed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That did it. Thanks, Matthew. Miniman, these were not 'parts seller' heads. They definitely got worked over. I too, did some valve lapping of my own. I just wasn't aware that the guides could do that. What is the typical spec for valve-in-guide play?
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the spec anymore, I used to. I do it by feel now, same as the flywheel shims. First I stick the valve in it's guide, and let it drop closed by gravity. If it hangs up anywhere, it's not right and need to be cleaned up some more. Then with the valve all the way in and resting just above the seat, I should just be able to feel the movement, but not be able to see it. This is dry of course, no oil. Wiggle in a few different directions, since guides never wear evenly.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

Welcome to the Samba.
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took both heads into the local shop last week. Hopefully they'll be done soon. New parts and a little more port work. Changing a few other things too; fixing the uneven deck on the case Evil or Very Mad , fixing the uneven cylinders resulting from compensating for the uneven deck height Evil or Very Mad , fixing the mismatched chamber volumes Evil or Very Mad , bumping it up to 9:1 Twisted Evil .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: