Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

34 pict 3 Carbs
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Cosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: 34 pict 3 Carbs Reply with quote

Is there an expert carb rebuilder/supplier anywhere?? My original Solex 34 pict 3 is old and tired but runs. I've bought one from Mid America (BOCAR) and it won't idle for s**t. Sent it back and got another. It lasted two weeks and same issue....won't idle. Bought a remanufactured Solex from Carburator Exchange in Peoria AZ and it idles nice but hit the gas and nothing (like the accelerator pump not working). Put the original old Solex back on and it runs. When the 2nd BOCAR was on and working, it was the best idle and acceleration the car ever had.

Timing is good, new gas tank (last year) and new fuel filter (by the tank).
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a good rebuilder to recommend, but I do have some advice.
-
I've installed literally dozens of Bocar 34 PICT's with ZERO defects and I've sold even more.
-
Now, I have had several run for a few miles and than not want to idle, and they ALL had the same problem, A little bit of dirt in the idle jet. Perhaps from all the jostling around during the change, perhaps a remnant from the manufacturer, who knows, it was dead easy to fix. Pull the jet, blow it out and reinstall.
-
Also make sure you have good (really good or new) connections from the coil to the idle cut-off solenoid, and just double check your adjustment procedure.
-
Lastly, for what it's worth, I've tried several rebuilt 34's with zero success. I believe they just aren't rebuildable after a certain point. Like once they won't idle (and your damn sure it's the carb) it seems that no rebuild will restore the idle.
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Cosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great advice. The power lead from the coil to the idle cut off is a good place to start. I think I'll solder the lugs to the wire to prevent any intermitten connection.
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I have run into with the stock solex 34 pict's that I have is that the throttle bushings are worn out letting air leak in. On one that I ran for a while I put some silicone around the shaft which worked out pretty good for a temporary fix. It made the throttle pedal a little stiffer than normal, but it ran great for a while. I have also run bocar 34 pict's and they are better than a worn out solex, but I still prefer a good working solex.

My plan is to send my solex with a 181 part tag in to have it rebushed. I have spoken and e-mailed keifernet about it and have heard nothing but good things about his work. He offered to rebush and rebuild the carb as well as inspect my distributor and get the two to run together. The vacuum canister went bad on my distributor and took forever to get a replacement in, but I hope to get things shipped out to him for work soon.
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your friendly neighborhood moderator keifernet is the man to send your carb to for a rebuild.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to agree with the Keifernet recommendation. He takes old tired VW carbs and make them as new. Not rebuilt. Restored...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

believe it or not, the EMPI 34-pict3 is very good. there used to be a very good knock-off 34-pict3 made in asia, it was the pierburg one. it seems to be gone. the EMPI one is the best new 34-pict3 i have used since the pierburg one went away.
74 Cosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have contact info for "Keifernet"?
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact him through email via his ads on here or private message.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=27

Tell him K-mann sent you...

I just sent him a note asking him to chime in on this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith is excellant (he has done a couple carbs and a set of heads for me.) Just find him in the ads or in the member list - it has his contact info....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ladder332
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto for keifernet.

Very good work, very nice to deal with to boot.
74 Cosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. I'll contact him.
stevehenderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just solder the hole shut in the throttle plate and use one size bigger main and the new carbs will work.

You probably are not running a dual can advance retard distributor? They are the only distributor carb combo that will work with a non-modded Pic 34--at least for me.

Forget this carb and buy your self a nice little set of duals from CB and quit wasting your money. You will pay for it with the gas you save. Don't waste any more money.

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1180

Everything EMPI makes sucks Rolling Eyes
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevehenderson wrote:

i am no apologist for EMPI but this simply is not true. many EMPI products are awful. many are fine. a few are very good. i have used, installed and tuned every new production 34-pict3 carb available over the past 5 years or so and of the current crop the EMPI is the best you can buy today. i am not hyping their product, i could care less who's product you buy and i sell very few carburetors so there's no gain for me in giving the EMPI 34-pict3 a good rating. on a stock 1600 DP engine with stock advance distributor there is no issue whatsoever making them run well.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
stevehenderson wrote:

i am no apologist for EMPI but this simply is not true. many EMPI products are awful. many are fine. a few are very good. i have used, installed and tuned every new production 34-pict3 carb available over the past 5 years or so and of the current crop the EMPI is the best you can buy today. i am not hyping their product, i could care less who's product you buy and i sell very few carburetors so there's no gain for me in giving the EMPI 34-pict3 a good rating. on a stock 1600 DP engine with stock advance distributor there is no issue whatsoever making them run well.

Just wait about 3- 5K when the throttle shaft wears out pre maturely compared to Bocar or for sure the original German. Laughing

I have already seen many of the Chinese made Pierburg, Kafer and Empi's have serious issues with throttle shaft slop either from day one and or in short order. I think it's a quality control crap shoot like so many other things now days.

I have also had new ones sent to me that would not run/idle unless the idle pilot jet was backed out and had a few that the quality of the large brass screw was so bad the threads were cut so poor you could barely turn the damn thing. ( Replacing it with an original German brass screw fixed it) and small mixture screws that came with pre deteriortaed o rings and not a very good "profile" to the metering needle end at all.

Not saying you have not had luck with them Scott... but I can tell you they are not all good by any means. Wink
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevehenderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys like keifernet don't just fix things they make them better than new.
His carbs probably are much better than the original German ones new from the factory.

It seems to me people have more dam problems with pic-34 than any carb ever used on a ACVW no mater who makes it and everyone I know try and try then end up putting them into the storage drawer with other 5 that are already there. Then that distributor they paired it with Rolling Eyes Adjusting both off them seems to be nightmare @ least for the garage home mechanic.

If you got lots of time or are real smart stay with this combo.
camfella04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pict 3 Carbs Reply with quote

I came across this old thread, is there another recommended carb rebulider?
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pict 3 Carbs Reply with quote

I bought one from this fellow about 2 yrs back.

http://www.volkzbitz.com/

So far I've not really had any issues, not driving the THING as often as I was on the old carb [was a pict 30/31] put it back to the pict 34.

I did notice a burst of power compared to the pict 30/31.

It comes with instructions on tuning and no core was required [unsure if that changed].,

hope this helps!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 pict 3 Carbs Reply with quote

if you missed this. here you go:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56411

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: