Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I buy this bus? Update! I bought it!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now please promise that when you want to sell it and can't find a buyer, you're not going to get pissed off and take it out on the bus as you did with the 79 you send to the crusher, as mentioned in the other thread.

I don't know why anyone wouldn't just give it away for free instead of crushing it. Hell, you could have even donated it to one of those charities that takes cars and gives you a vacation voucher.
seabass0527
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vague, iffy, hiding stuff... blah blah blah
look who had it right the first time.

Batan wrote:
In short - no.

"So how'ya feelin' T?" .."Oh I could punch ya straight in the face."
Rusty O'Toole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIOMX wrote:
Now please promise that when you want to sell it and can't find a buyer, you're not going to get pissed off and take it out on the bus as you did with the 79 you send to the crusher, as mentioned in the other thread.

I don't know why anyone wouldn't just give it away for free instead of crushing it. Hell, you could have even donated it to one of those charities that takes cars and gives you a vacation voucher.

I TRIED to give it away. Nobody WANTED it.

If $100 or best offer wasn't a givaway price I don't know what is.

You may feel bad about it but imagine how I feel? Crying or Very sad
wvukidsdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
2VWs1BMW wrote:
Batan wrote:
2VWs1BMW wrote:
I wouldn't buy a westy from anyone that replaces the 'f' in Westfalia with a 'ph' on principal.

That's funny as I have a similar rule. I never buy from people that write Volkswagon.

amen!

Or anyone who doesn't know the difference between "principal" and "principle". Oh - sorry. Rolling Eyes

Sometimes the best buys are from folks who don't know what they've got. "Volkswagon" or "Westphalia" are sure signs of that.

In this case, the "original 2.0-L engine" is a sure sign of ignorance. OTOH, if the owner can prove that it has only 38,000 miles and not *38,000, then you're on to something. I very much doubt it, though.

Good lord, don't you guys know how to read regular ole redneck car adds. If I was looking at that bus (which if I was in Canada and it had a lick of OK body condition mentioned I'd do in a second) I would read that add the same way everyone else in the redneck world would read it. It had 38000 on an original VW 2.0 liter engine. That is what about anyone means when they say something like that, don't think they were implying the engine was original to the van, or the miles are original to the van. Every good redneck in the world would also list the miles on the car as the miles on the replaced engine as well.

Now does it even matter. Shit no, I would have given a grand in a second even 10 years ago in the rustbelt in WV, if the statement "very little rust" ended up true, and if the interior was roughly intact. And I would have turned it for $2-3k profit with a $200 repray and whatever it took me to get it running. I often in point of fact did, bus after bus, after vanagon, after vanagon. The poster has said he knows bodywork I think elsewhere, so if the body is solid, go for it.

But it is probably a piece of junk, but for $650, who the hell cares, still worth it in parts perhaps. I do object to the "ph" a bit but hell, the guy selling probably just found it in the quonset (did I spell that right?) hut barn he bought.

YMMV
John
Rusty O'Toole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch WVUkid. It crossed my mind that the 38000 referred to the motor not the body. Sellers do that quite a bit.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post more pics when you get a chance. I wonder if there's a decent OG paintjob under that black crap.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: