Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV Joint Clicks
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenbus pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for more grease. Use a needle adapter and slip it under the boot. Try to get it to the actual balls and not just under the boot.
FWIW- I have cleaned mine a few times and observed some pretty heavy pitting, but they keep on rollin. If they get noisy, i will replace them.
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenbus pilot wrote:
I vote for more grease. Try to get it to the actual balls

I've heard that somewhere before......I'd post a pic, but I promised not to.
stupidsongs2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much grease did you add? When I rebuilt mine, you had to add an entire 4oz package of grease to each joint.

Source: http://volksweb.relitech.com/cvjoints.htm
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One or more of your cv joints are toast.Buy GKN german cv's have someone who knows what they are doing build your axles.These joints are not cheap.Build them once.Or can surf and end up buying chinese garbage thrice.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

73kombi wrote:
But did they all go back on in the exact same location?

Did you find a kid to strap under the bus to identify exactly where the "click" is coming from?

There has been a lot of prior Samba discussion about putting them on reversed of how they came off. Starting a new wear pattern and getting longer life out of them.
Can we borrow one of your kids to help us trouble shoot problems?

OP- Since you would have been following your manual you would have put in the right amount of the right kind of grease. So your click is a bad joint. You can find out which one by jacking the back up and running it in gear. No need to freak out. It can be done safely. I've written how a couple times. Samba searching could find it. It is a wonderful way to check out all kinds of important things with your rear drive train.
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
Can we borrow one of your kids to help us trouble shoot problems?

One of my grandsons would probably volunteer...

Desertbusman wrote:
So your click is a bad joint.

Could be a bad joint, could be a number of things...but since you are so good at remote viewing/diagnosing, can you come read my thread and tell me exactly where my oil leak is before I start pulling the fan this morning?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=374696

Desertbusman wrote:
You can find out which one by jacking the back up and running it in gear. No need to freak out. It can be done safely. I've written how a couple times. Samba searching could find it.

I usually just jack it up and set in on 2 >12" diameter firewood logs...is your searchable way better?
Wild Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay. I have got to go to Don's this afternoon and push a couple of buses around his yard. When I get finished I'll call ya and come over to do some CV joint trouble shooting. My phone was off yesterday while I was teaching
a CPR class. Cool

"Wild" Bill Tucker
Pensacola, Fl
1978 Champagne Edition (High Top Camper Converstion.) 2.0L FI
1969 Squareback 2.0L

www.rareairvw.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timo78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree w/ not enough grease: I have always packed mine full on every vehicle I've ever done.
Jack it up and get a buddy to hand spin each wheel real quick while using a hose length as a stethoscope. Listen to each joint to identify where sound comes from.
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I rotate the tire on the driver's side it doesn't make any noise really until I change the direction of rotation then it makes a clunk noise. I also checked the torque all but 3 where tight the 3 that were not had been stripped out so i'm going to be getting new bolts and then torque them down. Hopefully doing that will correct that problem. However after doing this work I went to drive it around the block to test and when I put it in reverse the brakes went clunk (I felt it in the pedal) so I pulled the wheel off of the drivers side to inspect the brakes and they are all still intact anybody got an idea about that? It only does this in reverse (automatic).

Thanks
Jay

"Growing older, but not up!"
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When was the last time you adjusted the brakes?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has been awhile since I have done anything with the back brakes but they do work (sorta) but why would it only do the noise in reverse? oh also when it makes the clunk the brake pedal looses pressure. strange...

thanks,

Jay

"Growing older, but not up!"
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not strange at all. You say they sorta work. So they sorta have problems also. Whenever the shoes try to grab the drum, the drum tries to move the shoes in the direction of rotation. The shoes are held in position by the wheel cylinder at one end and the adjuster at the other end. It's not totally solid as if the shoes were solidly bolted in place. And without good adjustment there is even more slop available for the shoes to move around. So you could expect clunks or whatever. And since the shoe and wheel cylinder are pushing against each other any movement or forces transmit into the hydraulics.

So you've found out that your brakes have issues. Time to redo them.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion:

When you pull apart those rear brakes, spend some quality time with the wire brush portion of your bench grinder to remove the rust and crud that are making the "star wheels" difficult to adjust those rear brakes. I like to lube mine with a 50/50 mix of wheel bearing grease and anti-sieze to prevent them from rusting all up.

Put a little anti-sieze on the brake drum where it fits on the axle to keep it from rusting on there also. I also pain the outside of the brake drum after steel brushing it down to real metal.

I also used my wire brush die grinder to clean up the rear backing plates at the same time and painted mine "bitchin black" to keep the rust at bay.

I will bet that noise goes away with properly adjusted rear brakes and a properly adjusted e-brake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, what Randy says. Also pay attention to where the shoes ride on the backing plate. If there are ridges or scoring smoothe those areas down. If shoes hang up there they won't work smoothly. Might even make wierd noises. I also put a real small light bit of lube on those bumps and also make sure the shoes are smoothe in that area.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: