Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alt/OXS lights and the fridge relay in 85 Subaru conversion
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
idahoskier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Alt/OXS lights and the fridge relay in 85 Subaru conversion Reply with quote

After some research here and on the yahoo group I figured out how easy (didnt seem so at the time) a fix this is. Most of the info seemed directed towards 86 and up models so I thought Id share my fix for my 85 westy. My goal was to get rid of the Alt and OXS warning lights and get my fridge to work on 12V again. The famous blue wire is connected to fuse 9 (left to right) and if you trace it up a few inches will find two connectors. The larger connector feeds both the ALT and the OXS lights. Meerly uplugging the smaller the connector (blu and blu/grn) will kill the no longer needed OXS light. The next step is to locate the "x contact" circuit. It is the blk/yel wire and is tied to fuses 10 and 13 I think. I had an open spot on 13 so I used that. Connect this to the disconnected blu wire from the OXS feed on the larger connector and you now have a strong enough signal to open the stock fridge realy under the driver seat. The x-cntct circuit is also inactive until the engine is running so you wont be using any power during starting. The ALT warning light also works as it should on start up. Pic shows the connection from fuse 13 to the disconnected OXS wire.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Im sure there are lots of different ways to do this (and probably more elegant) but I never found a concise solution anywhere so there it is Very Happy .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: