Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alt bracket!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Alt bracket! Reply with quote

Who has taken the alt. bracket off while still in the van??Looks like one of the nuts of the stud on the (driver side) of the block is a MOFO of MOFO's.I do not have a tool that will get in there.Sorry no pics.ANYONE???

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be pretty straightforward. Just a regular socket on a short extension for the nuts on the rear face of the block. If it's not these you're talking about, post a pic or describe it further:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yncs50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about on an 85GL 1.9?

Mine has a coolant pipe, with the dipstick attached, directly in the way.

Any hints on getting to those?

I chopped a wrench in half and got to the left one, but the other seems impossible without removing something.
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yncs50 wrote:
has a coolant pipe, with the dipstick attached, directly in the way.

Any hints on getting to those?

I chopped a wrench in half and got to the left one, but the other seems impossible without removing something.

This is what I'm looking at too.

Tencentlife I have a hard metal tube that goes were the rubber tube is in your pic.It goes over to the left compleatly closing in the access to the studs.Thanks for the pic!!

70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: My whole story Reply with quote

Just as a side note my bracket broke.This bracket is still available as a NEW part.

This all started cuz my belt was slipping real bad.I looked and saw one of the stud for the alt bracket brake off.The oher one loosen up and loose belt.Well I tightened it up and it held for a week or so.So I take it into my mechanic.Ask him to replace both studs.He calls and said my bracket is broke. I ask him to weld it up and keep me going.He also orders me a new bracket.So now I'm going to put the new bracket on and it's a bitch.
I'm running fine now but I just want to put my new part on.It doesn't look like my mach took the hard tube off.But who knows?Looks like I will have to if I'm going to do it. Confused

Glenn

70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pic is of a 2.1. I don't have a 1.9 to look at but I'm sure someone else will have some suggestions. It's good to have a new bracket because the ear at the forward edge where the pivot bolt goes thru also fatigues and breaks often enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're trecking over to the Vw dealer anyway to get a bracket, you might want to consider getting the vertical brace and the matching bolt used in the 1991 models. It has a nice little rack-and -pinion arrangement that makes tensioning that belt super easy. I've change a couple early one to the later style. Seems like it was about $20 for the parts.
Something else:
Sometimes, if stuff is hard to access at the rear of the engine, it might be better to just drop the rear of the engine. Ya gotta take off hoses wires, the PS pump and the gearshift bracket from the tranny. Not sure if you have a/c. Taking the compressor loose is a lot more bolts.
But then you could get to the back of the engine better.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westylife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to get a wrench on this bracket for the 1.9???? I have to put mine back on and was wondering if I have to remove the coolant line to do it. I asked this question on my thread but just in case...

Thanks,
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: