Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine repower
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
z-volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Engine repower Reply with quote

Just thinking of repowering car. I restored my 74 last year. and have ejoyed two seasons, however i need a little more juice under the deck lid. Anyone hear of jake at Raby's or Chico at steel buggin . the 2270 type 4 seems like it do the trick?
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never bought an engine from either one, but heard good things about both. If you want a good type 1, then Chico or BAP seem to be good choices. If you want a STRONG type IV, then jake is the man.

Having said that, sit down and figure out what your engine budget is. Reliable power costs money. Don't expect to get a solid reliable engine for the cost of a poorly built stocker.

Personally, i'd do a mild build on your existing engine, and see if it fulfills your need for speed. ratio rockers, upgraded exhaust, dual carbs, electronic ignition, split the case and install a hotter cam and build out to 1776 or 1914 ccs. This will give you the best bang for the buck, and if you decide it still isn't enough, most of what you have purchased can "grow' with a stroked type 1, or supersize to a type IV.
Personally i am getting intrigued by the idea of building an oxyboxer engine.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
clearsurf2001
Samba Vaccinator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have never bought an engine from either one, but heard good things about both. If you want a good type 1, then Chico or BAP seem to be good choices. If you want a STRONG type IV, then jake is the man.

Strongly agree ... Chico at steelbuggin or Steve at BAP (shtubby here on samba) can give you the goods for type 1. Jake's over on shoptalkforums.com - aircooled technology - for type 4 (the best).
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chico just built my 2180 for my 73 Thing. It's a significant improvement in power and acceleration over the stock 1600. I put in a cooler/fan & thermostat and it doesn't run over 190 degrees and cruises the freeway at 70 mph with plenty more punch. I have no complaints.
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Efs, what kind of transmission are you running? I'm am planning on modifying mine to cruise at 70 @ 3000 rpm. My stock tranny is too low geared to do that.

I am collecting info on this subject....Ideas, Thingers???
Chris181Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If $$ is no object a 2270 type4 would be ideal. I would love to put a Raby type4 with a DTM in my 181, but I can not afford to do so. I am very, very happy with the power of my 2187cc type 1 that my Dad and I built. The type1 will be fine untill I can afford to go with a type4. But I still manage to drop a lot of jaws on the sand/street with the 2187 type1.
To feel the thrill of desire"
Roger Waters, The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking
fathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can somebody please explain to me why people are so keen to install a heavy, slow reving, way over priced, expensive type 4 engine? Rolling Eyes

Cheers Dom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nthang: Right now I'm running a stock tranny on 15 inch rims & 205's. I know it will eventually blow if I shift it hard, but I don't drag race it. I wanted to see how the 2180 would feel with a stock trans. I'm really pleased with the drivability. It's a good combination for around town and on the freeway. I can keep up with any traffic. If I do eventually blow the tranny, I'll rebuild a stronger unit with the same gear ratio. It works for me.
Big Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nthang: Maybe to get good horsepower, excellent reliability, and long life.

Lord, protect me from VWs that rev and sound like Ricers!
z-volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: thanks for the info Reply with quote

it gives me something to think about for a the winter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: