Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3rd time's a charm...'70 KG coupe
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slafa
Samba Member

Location: Where getting a real beer is like winning the lotto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: 3rd time's a charm...'70 KG coupe Reply with quote

Here is the new member of the family, comes to us a little effed up but the perfect type of problem for me as besides the accident damage (which I can take care of) everything else is really sound. New rebuild which runs strong, interior is really solid, almost everything stock is still there and the pans are fantastic. Got a fender from Chuck (superman) for $25 and we are on our way!

Need to relocate the fuel filter and after that I would appreciate any info as to what is missing or needs attention from you '70/'71 gurus out there so I can make a list of parts to start buying, if anyone has something they see that I need please PM me. There is only one paint job on this car over the OG paint so that's a plus but it has some rocker and lower panel rust that I will assess later...I actually have a ghia that is drivable now!!! And it is fun Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1983 Ford 350 Econoline Ambulance
1997 Mercedes S500 W140
1976 BMW 75/6 bike
various Honda, GMC daily drivers

Last edited by slafa on Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ought to be able to tap out that fender damage. Very nice score.
Paul_Revere's Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Score! The big question is can you stop at three???? Wink

You can now follow me on Facebook to keep up to date with my latest Artwork & Ceramics-
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Newport/Seth-Draper-Art-Ceramics/150919701594700?ref=mf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slafa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul_Revere's Ghia wrote:

My wife would say....."You better stop at three!" I have sold the two type 3's I had so really I have cut back from 5 to 3 and am getting better or so I tell people Laughing Sold the fasty to my brother in law and he just bought his first ghia before that so I think I have passed the disease on to the next guy.... Razz

Funny thing too was that this car was advertised on the Samba and yet it was only 2 miles from my house Shocked Usually something I want on the Samba is in Stockholm or Mermansk, not just down the street Smile
1997 Mercedes S500 W140
1976 BMW 75/6 bike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slafa wrote:
Usually something I want on the Samba is in Stockholm or Mermansk, not just down the street Smile

Yeah, I know the feeling. And what I want is priced in $US or worse Pounds Sterling and Euros...then add international freight. Rolling Eyes

BTW Nice car. Very Happy It should come up real sweet. Cool
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
whobba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that Ghia. Nice score! Can't wait to see the progress.
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.

Exterior wise it is correct for 70/71. It has the two year only rear reflectors. It has the correct bumpers, trim rings on the wheels, nose badge... Exterior looks good.

Inside it obviously has the wrong front seats, those kind of look like older SCAT procar or something similar. Wrong door panels. Missing the under dash padding (sits below woodgrain, hard part to find). Those rear seat seatbelts were never there, I would pull them out unless you plan on having people ride back there?.

The engine compartment looks good. Nice to see a car with the warm air intake and original oil bath filter. Your second last photo is the altitude adjuster for the throttle valve positioner system. Your carb doesn't have the throttle positioner, so you may as well remove the altitude adjuster - below the altitude adjuster on the intake manifold there is a fitting where a hose would have connected, make sure it is capped off or else you will lean out the mixture on 3 and 4.
- looks like it has a 009 distributor, not the original vac advance
- after market coil, main pulley and fuel pump.

I'm sure there is lots more I am missing

Looks like a cool driving project
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice! your electrical rats nest should be a snap to sort out. Mine was sprayed all black with rattle can which makes it really hard to sort out the BS wiring "expert mechanics" did.
Those look like aftermarket door panels to me....
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
AndrewStapp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
nice! your electrical rats nest should be a snap to sort out. Mine was sprayed all black with rattle can which makes it really hard to sort out the BS wiring "expert mechanics" did.
Those look like aftermarket door panels to me....

Yeah, that wiring looks scary, when you put on your left turn signal, does the horn honk? I'm sure you will get it lined out, very solid looking starting point. Did you get a smoking deal on it?
F4u5T
Aircooled Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, Your killin me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slafa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F4u5T wrote:
Dude, Your killin me

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Leave it to my robot suited buddy to bust me up, the only way to world domination of the Ghia forum is to own every Ghia Laughing and then fight with robot suits... Cool

I did get a smokin' deal, $1400 for this car and the only electrical that doesn't work is, you guessed it, the horn, otherwise everything is working. Even the headlight and blinker on the passengers side. Yes the door panels and front seats have been redone but in good condition.

Bleyseng, can you send me a can of black spray paint so I can spray my rats nest as well? I can't imagine that nightmare <shudder> Thats why I took that pic...scary Anxious

Thanks 70 140, that is some very deft analysis and I really appreciate it as I have very little clue when it comes to the mechanicals. I really want to keep this as a stock driver so I really appreciate any input and will put it to use Smile

PS F4u5T, sorry to see Virginia get their butts kicked by William and Mary while BYU knocks off Oklahoma....sad Laughing
1997 Mercedes S500 W140
1976 BMW 75/6 bike
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude nice score. How does she run? You might get the mid range flat spot with the 009. Around 2500rpm. An Bosch 010 or 019 is the one to get to get rid of the flat spot. On mine the 70 yellow really seems soft and not much to it. It has really grown on me. Do you try buffing that front fender out yet?? Laughing Pull the wheels off and take a peek at the brakes and rubber brake lines.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
slafa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies, it is pretty exciting to actually have a drivable ghia that you can see a light at the end of the tunnel on Rolling Eyes The paint job on the car is obviously yellow but not so obvious is the fact that it has a metallic multi color sparkle with a purple pearlescent clear coat Sick

I really like the two tone on 70coupyel's beauty but especially the somewhat softer Naples yellow on the pic I stole from the Wasp's rebuild. Was the two tone yellow and white a factory option? Can't find it in the Tech forum...

70coupyel wrote:
Dude nice score. How does she run?

Runs very strong, haven't driven it much but there may be a flat spot, I do remember a lag at a certain RPM, maybe that's it, I haven't driven a Ghia for 10 years so I don't have much to compare it to...

1997 Mercedes S500 W140
1976 BMW 75/6 bike
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/paintcodesghia.php

also check ghiagirl(Lisa). "Mr Mustard". Damn I did a search for" pampas yellow" and not that many hits. Wow first time someone has used my pics in a post Shocked .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slafa wrote:

My wife would say....."You better stop at three!" I have sold the two type 3's I had so really I have cut back from 5 to 3 and am getting better or so I tell people Laughing Sold the fasty to my brother in law and he just bought his first ghia before that so I think I have passed the disease on to the next guy.... Razz

I was wondering how long it was going to be before you sold the Fastback. Rolling Eyes <tease> Laughing At least you sold it to a family member. Wink

There is still hope for you.

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slafa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
slafa wrote:

I was wondering how long it was going to be before you sold the Fastback. Rolling Eyes <tease> Laughing At least you sold it to a family member. Wink

First of all let me say that you Adriel are, along with with John Moxon, the finest people on this site that I have had the pleasure of encountering. You prove to be astute at analyzing people from a distance as well. Do you also understand that once you have owned a squareback that a fastback just don't cut it? Especially the square I let go? And you have to factor in that as a ghia lover first, all type 3's just look like the funny and lovable uncle at the family reunion compared to the lovely italian woman on your arm Rolling Eyes Laughing Oh, and I took a $ hit on the fasty so i'tweren't a flip....

Thanks for having hope for me, I want my squareback back Crying or Very sad
1997 Mercedes S500 W140
1976 BMW 75/6 bike
slafa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70coupyel wrote:
Wow first time someone has used my pics in a post Shocked .

Don't be surprised! You have a gorgeous ghia, thanks for posting it Cool
1997 Mercedes S500 W140
1976 BMW 75/6 bike
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like the ghia front seats were recovered, the rear seat is just like mine...
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slafa wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
slafa wrote:

First of all let me say that you Adriel are, along with with John Moxon, the finest people on this site that I have had the pleasure of encountering. You prove to be astute at analyzing people from a distance as well. Do you also understand that once you have owned a squareback that a fastback just don't cut it? Especially the square I let go? And you have to factor in that as a ghia lover first, all type 3's just look like the funny and lovable uncle at the family reunion compared to the lovely italian woman on your arm Rolling Eyes Laughing Oh, and I took a $ hit on the fasty so i'tweren't a flip....

Thanks for having hope for me, I want my squareback back Crying or Very sad

Wow man, thank you for the flattery! Shocked Very Happy

I know where you come from. Your woman is first on the list, and the world is a fine place when the women are satisfied. It was not hard to see where it all was going.

In all reality, I knew you could take a tease from me. Just knew you could; few people can.

My first Volkswagen was the same color as yours, and now that I have a Squareback, I know what you mean. I was sorry that you had to sell the Squareback, as it was a rare opportunity. That is why I bought mine; not perfect or low miles, but well taken care of and I know its history.

Funny you think of them is the odd uncle. Then, what is the 411 or the 412? Wink The embarrassing young'in sibling and the ugly sibling? Laughing

To bad so far you have lost money on both the type 3s.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Ghias. Love to take a late model, strip out all the unneeded things, and put in a large type four engine with fuel injection.

Some day, when your Ghias are done, and your woman is satisfied, you know where it is. Wink

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
F4u5T
Aircooled Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slafa wrote:

PS F4u5T, sorry to see Virginia get their butts kicked by William and Mary while BYU knocks off Oklahoma....sad Laughing

If it isnt Virginia Tech Football - I dont care.......
I was just kidding about the car - hell, I'd buy all of em too if I could.
How bout a Thing for your next acquisition? Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: