Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Flash" - 36hp Challenge Racing News
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: "Flash" - 36hp Challenge Racing News Reply with quote

As you have heard, Blackline 57, the DSS 36hp beetle whose build has been so well documented in the Vintage Speed forums was destroyed last weekend in a tragic neighborhood street accident (the occupants and the DSS 36hp motor were O.K.!). As of tonight, I am proud to announce the the lemons that resulted from the accident are being turned into lemonade. And you should expect no less from Justin, Colton and the A.C.E. support team as you have witnessed by their effort on this project.

A call out to the local VW fraternity brought Chip Birks and Eric Allred to the front with Chip volunteering his patina street legal quarter miler for the effort and Erics bolt-in roll cage to keep Justin safe. After Chip returns from drag racing tonight at the Rocky Mountain Raceway, and Eric returns from drag racing his sedan in Grand Junction, the cars nd components will come together to become a reborn racer, mated with the phenominal 36hp engine from the destroyed Blackline 57.

Thanx to both these guys and to the many folks on both coasts who offered the use of their VW's to the McAllister boys to see this dream project continue. And thanx to Art at A.C.E. for his continued support.

In additional 36hp Challenge news, I just got off the phone with Bville Tom. He test drove the 103 mph 36hp beetle of Gaylon Anderson today with the new tall geared tranny and achieved 85 miles per hour in "3rd" gear at nine pounds boost. He forgot to look at the tach since he was fast coming up on a semi and had to brake back to reality.

How fast do you think these guys are going to go, any guesses?

And how about the Denzel powered Ghia that will be running. Anyone have any ideas on Richards potential top speed.

As of this evening, five 36hp Challenge cars are expected including the Beaver Geezers new orange 58 and Team Irelands green 74 SS (Stone Stock) racers.

We are going to have fun and invite all the VW fans to head for the salt at Bonneville and gives the 36hp Challenge racers your cheers and support.

Hope to see ALL the Samba Vintage Speed readers show up.

Till then, may the Speed be with you............

Burly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see and watch the Beaver Geezers Bug! I'm off tomorrow early to help Richard [paint his 59 Ghia. I've seen his engine and it's amazing, and the exhaust... well I hope it sounds as good as it looks!

The 74 Bug was a last minute substitute for the 64 Ghia that I didn't have the funds to finish. It will be a fun and learning experience!
Thanks Burly!
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
69 Bonneville Ghia 150 in Chico
69 Bonneville Ghia in Ireland
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
grueni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those are really good and exciting news!!!
beautiful to read this, while I'm sitting at home in Germany and in the next room my 36HP arises.

much fun to you all on the salt.

chris
bvilletom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Changes for 2009 Bonneville Reply with quote

Here is a list of the changes we made for this years Bonneville. The engine is still quite small for this racing class, 74 x 77 = 1378cc, we put 1.3 ratio rockers on the same cam, a 2J Isky & now the lift is about .400”. I worked on the chambers and got two more CFM on the intake (now 51 CFM @ .300”). I reshaped the exhaust ports and picked up 4 more CFM (now 48 CFM @ .300”). The heads were generally checked and put it back together. I’m still using the same T-2 Garrett turbo and the single 40 mm Solex BMW carburetor. One change we will be trying is a new custom intake manifold to the turbo with internal vanes using a 40 DCNF Weber with it still being a complete hideaway turbo system. By using this Weber carb we will double our intake airflow.

The biggest change is the 3.88 gear. Going from a 4.37 to a 3.88 with a small 1300 cc low compression turbo motor isn’t exciting until it comes on boost, then it feels pretty good.

I don’t want to stray too far from what I know works and my biggest concern are keeping it from burning down, a full throttle turbo mile makes a lot of heat. I realize the record is pretty soft and I many not raise it a whole lot, but I’m sure going to try! This motor has 3 years on it now so in 2010 I think it’s big motor time. The new motor will be an ALL OUT for this type of racing, with no compromises.

Bville Tom

1970 Porsche 914/6 – 2 liter LSR record holder
1992 Metro Sedan – 1 liter LSR records
1987 Chevy Turbo Sprint – under construction
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Tom, can't wait to see you guys run!
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Changes for 2009 Bonneville Reply with quote

bvilletom wrote:
Here is a list of the changes we made for this years Bonneville. The engine is still quite small for this racing class, 74 x 77 = 1378cc, we put 1.3 ratio rockers on the same cam, a 2J Isky & now the lift is about .400”. I worked on the chambers and got two more CFM on the intake (now 51 CFM @ .300”). I reshaped the exhaust ports and picked up 4 more CFM (now 48 CFM @ .300”). The heads were generally checked and put it back together. I’m still using the same T-2 Garrett turbo and the single 40 mm Solex BMW carburetor. One change we will be trying is a new custom intake manifold to the turbo with internal vanes using a 40 DCNF Weber with it still being a complete hideaway turbo system. By using this Weber carb we will double our intake airflow.

The biggest change is the 3.88 gear. Going from a 4.37 to a 3.88 with a small 1300 cc low compression turbo motor isn’t exciting until it comes on boost, then it feels pretty good.

I don’t want to stray too far from what I know works and my biggest concern are keeping it from burning down, a full throttle turbo mile makes a lot of heat. I realize the record is pretty soft and I many not raise it a whole lot, but I’m sure going to try! This motor has 3 years on it now so in 2010 I think it’s big motor time. The new motor will be an ALL OUT for this type of racing, with no compromises.

Bville Tom

Does the turbo class have different carb rules then the DSS class? I wanted to use DCNF's and was told no and would have to use 40P11 Solex,s. Just wondering if the Turbo rules different from the norm assperated rules.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Unkl Ian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NA36 guidelines are a LOT looser.

DSS is "period correct", pre '65.

NA36 is more "run what you brung". If you wanted to run
a pair of Holley 4 barrels, or EFI, go for it.

I'm guessing the DCNF was introduced later than '65.
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: DCNF Carbs Reply with quote

Splitpile

Unkl Ian is correct. The DCNF's we discussed would have put you "up" to the NA36 or new age category. Period correct carbs or replicas therof like the about to be released Wolfsburg West Okrasa replica dual carb setups(and do not forget their replica Okrasa dualport heads!) are acceptable in the DSS class.

Hopefully these new WW replica set-ups will allow many folks watching Vintage Speed to actually "experience" vintage speed and maybe even start a project amied at the 36hp Challenge.

Have not heard from you in awhile. Are you still coming up to the salt next week?

Burly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bvilletom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the pictures on the Weber DCNF w/turbo on 36hp Challenge Motor.
I just about broke it on a jetting run, it ran out of fuel at full boost
(see tattletale gauge) at 18psi in 3rd gear.
It still lives, I think, so we are done testing now – before we burn it down.

BvilleTom

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 Porsche 914/6 – 2 liter LSR record holder
1992 Metro Sedan – 1 liter LSR records
1987 Chevy Turbo Sprint – under construction
Unkl Ian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bvilletom wrote:

I just about broke it on a jetting run, it ran out of fuel at full boost

Wrong Jets ? or fuel pressure ?
WickedWagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a great time out on the salt these last couple of days. Thanks to all Burly and all 36hp guys for inviting us to spend some time with you guys.

Congrats to the Blackline/Birks crew you guys put an awsome car together. Art and Family thanks for bringing me some parts.

Congrats and thanks to Tom/Gaylen and the crew for letting me hang out and ask so many questions. 106 mph, you upped the bar again.

The Beaver Geezers put on a show, putting all different members in the car and going back and forth beating the record.

Brit made some good runs and was close also.

Thanks to everybody out there, Maybe I'll be out in a car next year. I'm coming for you Tom. I'm going to talk to Oz tomorrow.
G/CBGALT 134.606 MPH
G/CBFALT 146.715 MPH
G/CBGC 158.242 MPH
H/CPRO 93.383 MPH
H/CBGC 94.33 MPH
H/CBGALT 101.282 MPH
H/CBFALT 120.591 MPH
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WickedWagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VW's put on a show!

G/CBGALT 134.606 MPH
G/CBFALT 146.715 MPH
G/CBGC 158.242 MPH
H/CPRO 93.383 MPH
H/CBGC 94.33 MPH
H/CBGALT 101.282 MPH
H/CBFALT 120.591 MPH
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Das Dragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a great few days on the salt, first time for us too. To meet all the folks at the '36hp' dinner on Thursday evening was an added bonus.
I'd like to thank everyone for making us feel so welcome, also. I won't try to mention names as i know I'll leave someone out.
I have a ton of pics to upload which i will do ASAP.

More to come.
Lou & Lis (I see me in the vw line up pic above, I'm 2nd from the left, it was great having the best parking spot on Thursday)

PS. Tom and hopefully Burly, we'll be waiting for your call in Jan.

Art, the carbs will be on the way soon!

With *****, "Bullshit Happens"!
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: 36hp Challenge WOS 09 Final Results Reply with quote

The USFRA's 2009 World of Speed event on the Bonneville Salt Flats came to a conclusion Saturday afternoon after torrential rains early in the week, possible cancellation of all the racing activities and finally blue skies and sun, warm weather and great racing. A record number of thirteen Volkswagen powered cars, both air and water cooled, both gas and diesel, ran for top speed. There were streamliners, pick-ups, bugs, bajas, Formula Super Vees, a turbo powered big VW motored splittie bus(94.891 mph) and even a VW Lupo powered Honda Insight hybrid. All in all, it was a record event for Volkswagen land speed racing. This event also welcomed the largest contingent of VW spectators supporting the racers with folks from Michigan, Oregon, Arizona, Nevada, Texas and elsewhere coming out to experience to aura of Bonneville and be witness to the Challenge.

The 36hp Challenge saw three new records set in the five available bug classes and a baseline Ghia record established with a Ghia equipped with a rare Denzel modified 36hp motor. Two new 36hp Challenge "1" Club members were initiated into the elite club which also consists of Dick Beith and Tom Bruch (yes, just four total !). The Blackline 57 project which so many folks have been following on the Samba and Ultimate Air Cooled Vintage Speed forums returned from being dead just three weeks ago thanx to Chip Birks who donated his street car for the effort to establish a new DSS (Vintage two barrel carb) category record of 103.056 mph and qualify for the "1" Club. Team Irelands Britt Grannis, along with the Beaver Geezers crew of three different drivers vied for the SS (Stone Stock) record with the Beav's Al Leggett eventually driving to a new 36hp record of 73.492 mph.

Tom Bruch and Gaylen Anderson brought their record holding bug back to the salt with more gear in the trans and a Weber 40 DCNF carb on top of the turbo and boosted the all time 36hp bug and NA36 (New Age 36) record to a new high of 106.514 miles per hour. The carb provided the power but ran out of fuel at sustained high RPM's and damaged the engine, preventing further speed run attempts.

Richard Troy worked on his 58 low-light Denzel Ghia back home in Northern California through half of the meet overcoming the normal pre-race obstacles that seem to pop up when time is of the essence, threw on the tow bar, drove through the night and arrived on the salt for the very last days racing. With no sleep and just a half a day to race, he tuned and with the Blackline/Birks crew helping taking care of small details, was able to not only get all his passes in, but gain membership in the "1" Club with two passes above 101 miles per hour topping out at 101.163 miles per hour.

Experiencing tradgedy and frustration, all the 36hp Challengers muscled through to set four new 36hp records and make the 2009 World of Speed the most successful 36hp Challenge event to date. Bruce Cook from North Carolina, holder of two of the records that were exceeded called to offer congradulations. At next months ECTA Maxton, N.C., meet, Bruce's Canadian 51 split will attempt to reclaim the DSS record from the Mcallister brothers with a Whitey Worsham tuned 36 engine and if that does not do the trick, he recently acquired an Okrasa set-up that will also enjoy Whiteys magic touch.

2010 is just around the corner and the 36hp Challenge just becomes more challenging. Hope you find the opportunity to view these little mighty mouse motors racing down the blackline or even participate with your bug, bus or Ghia. For more info and 36hp Challenge links, visit www.saltflats.com or go to www.burlyb.com .

See you on the salt........................

Burly
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to Justin helping RT out to achieve his speed.
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadcow wrote:

Hey, and maybe also to the guy that told RT what jetting and timing to change to in order to make that 101mph pass..........

Rolling Eyes

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't there and didn't know who that person was but yes thanks to the Jet man!
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
rtroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WickedWagens wrote:
Had a great time out on the salt these last couple of days. Thanks to all Burly and all 36hp guys for inviting us to spend some time with you guys.

Congrats to the Blackline/Birks crew you guys put an awsome car together. Art and Family thanks for bringing me some parts.

Congrats and thanks to Tom/Gaylen and the crew for letting me hang out and ask so many questions. 106 mph, you upped the bar again.

The Beaver Geezers put on a show, putting all different members in the car and going back and forth beating the record.

Brit made some good runs and was close also.

Thanks to everybody out there, Maybe I'll be out in a car next year. I'm coming for you Tom. I'm going to talk to Oz tomorrow.

...I'm really disappointed I missed the first two days this year. In particular, I really wanted to see Britt run because he had given me so much help and I wanted to be there for moral support, etc - not to mention the pure fun part!

Hopefully I won't let paint get in my way again!

Richard

Karmann Ghia and Porsche 356 enthusiast
Founder, The Karmann Ghia Club of N. America
rtroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadcow wrote:
I can't wait to see and watch the Beaver Geezers Bug! I'm off tomorrow early to help Richard [paint his 59 Ghia. I've seen his engine and it's amazing, and the exhaust... well I hope it sounds as good as it looks!

The 74 Bug was a last minute substitute for the 64 Ghia that I didn't have the funds to finish. It will be a fun and learning experience!
Thanks Burly!

...I'm just replying to publicly thank you in this forum for your assistance! It was fun, I learned a lot, and I wouldn't trade the experience for the world - especially all the kind help I received...

Here's Britt helping out:

Thanks again,
Richard

rtroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eaallred wrote:
Roadcow wrote:

Hey, and maybe also to the guy that told RT what jetting and timing to change to in order to make that 101mph pass..........

:roll:

...I had pulled out my 5 gas exhaust analyzer and I just couldn't read it, it was so friggen bright! I was thinking I needed a hood, like an old-time photographer, but before I could do that a guy named Craig (I'm pretty sure his name was Craig, one of two Craigs there helping, by the way) came by and began quizzing me, suddenly announcing,

"The computer says you need 127.5 to 130 mains - you got any 130 main jets?! Let's put those in!"

I was so tired, I was grateful for a reasonable suggestion.

So, we did. That's when Justin wandered by and I asked him to help install those jets...

...However, while a reasonable and certainly helpful change, that wasn't the change that "did it."

For more of the story, why I was so tired, why I was late, and all the rest, please see the web site I put up to document and tell our story:

http://ghiacoachworks.com/share/denzel_lsr.html

and, in particular, check out the blog page covering my one race day, here:

http://ghiacoachworks.com/share/lsr_september_20_2009.html

Please send me any comments, updates, additional rememberances, corrections, or whatever else via email. There are email links on the site and you can also use richard at karmannghia dot org (NOT dot com!).

...By the way, I made three passes within one mile an hour of each other, the fastest was 101.94, but unfortunately, the timing slip is lost. Very odd. Anyway, I did 6 runs, five that counted, and have only five timing slips, including the one where they gave me a false start and I got a do-over - so where's the fifth run that counted? Mystery. Oh well. Not worried - they were all so close.

Regards,
Richard

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: