Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Framehead Swap
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Framehead Swap Reply with quote

Hey there everyone, right now Im in the process of building a Dune Buggy off of a super beetle pan. I know its a whole lot of work and all, but its the best I have for now. I was wondering if there were any sites that showed how I could perform a framehead swap or at least cut the framehead off (theres so much sealer and dirt its hard to even see where the seams are). I know I will probably have to take it somewhere to get a new framehead welded back on (knowing that I have no access to a welder or the knowledge) but I would like to try to at least cut the framehead off to save a little work (and hopefully a little money). Thanks.
Scoot R.D.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if your not going to do the whole job yourself I'd find somebody to do it and talk to them before you cut at the very least. The head needs to be dead on or it'll never be right. cutting the old head off is the easy part so I would imagine that it's not going to cost you much more for them to do this while they have it.

Good luck
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're going to the trouble of cutting off the front bulkhead why not just add a roll cage to the interior and run it through to the beam. this is stronger than welding on a link pin bulkhead. If you need pics let me know. although my car wasn't a super we did cut off the bulkhead and run the cage through.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with running the cage through is that I don't have the body yet, so I have no clue how to run the tubes...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DesertBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baja5,

Who built your cage?

Desert Bob

74 Super Beetle (German Look Project)
Full Flow 1776 with 36 Dells, 4 wheel drilled and slotted disc brakes, Porsche 7x17 Turbo Twists, Topline Maxx Struts, Camber kit, 7/8" Front Sway bar, Rear Sway bar, Urethane bushings all around.
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I helped my brother in law do BJ to King pin fairly easily, but we did the pans and cross member. I'm doing the same with a '71 super pan, though I saw the frame extension that Bruce meyers is making for the Dualsport manxter and am very interested in that.

As long as you take good measurements from good hard points, it isn't that hard. Since you are going to pay someone, just let them do it all.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: