Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoring smoothies and brake drums
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jalexquijano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Restoring smoothies and brake drums Reply with quote

What is the correct method to restore old rusted smoothies and their corresponding brake drums.

Shall I sand blast the 5 smoothies and brake drums to take the rust away and then paint the wheels the same color as the car?

What paint and tools shall i use? Im getting these wheels sandblasted tomorrow so i need an advice on the proper restoration method.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you have them blasted check them to see if they are true. I had to go thru around 20 rims to find 4 good ones.

After I found a good set I removed the tires, valve stems, and any weights. I scrubbed them down with degreaser and a wire brush then blasted them with a little home blasting gun in a trash can. I took a long time to do them but the many layers of chipped paint and rust. I wiped them down with a surface prep solution right away and sprayed etching and epoxy primer. I then used high temp engine paint and sprayed the entire rim semigloss black. Since these were going on an early vert I then two toned the rims with gloss black outer rim, white inner hub. Lasted years and looked factory

If I were to do it again I would powder coat the rims instead. Much more chip resistant and holds up well to road grime and grease.

The only thing I am not sure about is if on early cars (both verts and sedans) that had both black and white or body color white paint came gloss or semi gloss from the factory.

Anyone know?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jalex needs to explain his desired outcome a little. What year are we talking about? Do you want a stock paint scheme? Do you want quality work or just paint? Details man- we need details to be helpful to you.

Maybe include some gallery shots of what you like already?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe wheels came in a multiple of color combos. My car, according to it's birth certificate had fog grey and royal blue two tone with the car being gulf blue. But you can paint them anything you want.
78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
Jalexquijano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Pictures of my car Reply with quote

These are the pictures of my 1960 Bug, i plan to change to smoothies wheels and paint them the same color as the car. Do you consider appropiate or should i paint them another color. I am planning on purchasing the corresponding hupcaps with the little VW emblem.

One last thing, I will not place whitewall tires on my car. I will keep the same tires shown in the picture.

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/32c169175bb37a58c73fe0316c0cf5fa5e6ff7d3.JPG

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/7be36ed3136b5271b4d070c55cafc7cba3afd64e.JPG

shano63 wrote:
I believe wheels came in a multiple of color combos. My car, according to it's birth certificate had fog grey and royal blue two tone with the car being gulf blue. But you can paint them anything you want.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeckler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's the factory color, L363 Arctic, then the rim should be L439 Mixture Blue, and the hub L437 White Blue.
Should look like this I'm guessing...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bill may wrote:
I am the crabby old guy.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeckler wrote:
If that's the factory color, L363 Arctic, then the rim should be L439 Mixture Blue, and the hub L437 White Blue.
Should look like this I'm guessing...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks sweet, except for those nasty white walls. Ive never seen a set of wide white walls that look good on a VW. I like the look of the thin whitewalls or the slightly larger ones used on ghias.

Jalexquijano, what is the deal with the four lug rims?? I know I just nit picking but 60 should not have a square gas gauge.

For early year vws the vw in the hubcap was sometimes painted body color as well. If you want to get fancy, put on a set of early trim rings with the rims painted the same in the pic above. The only "close" repro rings are from House of Ghia.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: