Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vr6 swap?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetsport wrote:
Your right.. it is in the eye of the beholder.. I didn't mean to come across as knocking the VR6 at all. Very Happy It is a wonderful engine. Each and every concersion has it's super great points and not so good for all of us. I'll admit that the 1.8T does not have the lower end grunt like a VR6 or Subi or TDI engines but still maintains better stock performance down low.. Once above 1800 or so it's all fair game.. Fuel mileage and power are what I am after Laughing

Here is what my eye looks at.. Going into a Syncro Westy. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

320hp 340ft.lb. torque.. Reliable.

340ft.lb Of torque might be to much bound to hurt something.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Keep off the right foot for decent fuel mileage.. But why..?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beetsport Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaric.H wrote:
Beetsport wrote:
Your right.. it is in the eye of the beholder.. I didn't mean to come across as knocking the VR6 at all. Very Happy It is a wonderful engine. Each and every concersion has it's super great points and not so good for all of us. I'll admit that the 1.8T does not have the lower end grunt like a VR6 or Subi or TDI engines but still maintains better stock performance down low.. Once above 1800 or so it's all fair game.. Fuel mileage and power are what I am after Laughing

Here is what my eye looks at.. Going into a Syncro Westy. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

320hp 340ft.lb. torque.. Reliable.

340ft.lb Of torque might be to much bound to hurt something.
(depends on how you use the 340... High school kid burn out, um, yes, gonna hurt something)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Keep off the right foot for decent fuel mileage.. But why..?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot more to it than that. The trans in a syncro has a few parts that will not take that much power for long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaric.H wrote:
There is a lot more to it than that. The trans in a syncro has a few parts that will not take that much power for long.

They'll do great with proper handleing, i.e. no burn outs and donuts. No clutch droping etc. Stephs first swap was at the Van-o-rama had over 50k miles(could be 40k, correct me if i am wrong). Also there is a doka with 375hp in 2wd form(all 375 through just the rear axles). Kennedy Engineering commented to me these are stout trannys that are often used in dune buggies with corvette ls1 engines. Many things can be done to stengthen these trannys as well.
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dredward wrote:
Alaric.H wrote:

They'll do great with proper handleing, i.e. no burn outs and donuts. No clutch droping etc. Stephs first swap was at the Van-o-rama had over 50k miles(could be 40k, correct me if i am wrong). Also there is a doka with 375hp in 2wd form(all 375 through just the rear axles). Kennedy Engineering commented to me these are stout trannys that are often used in dune buggies with corvette ls1 engines. Many things can be done to stengthen these trannys as well.

The 2wds are great but the syncro when pushed break some of the syncros shake apart with a tdi plus the g gear can break the caseing and the input stubs snap when pushing heavey tires 245 75 16 and such.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta lay off the burnouts dredward Twisted Evil
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Gotta lay off the burnouts dredward Twisted Evil

I sure do Razz . However i have since chilled with showing off the power from a dead stop. I will eventually save for a trans i can build up. For now it shifts fine and doesn't leak oil so i'm rideing it till it fails.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind me, drive it like you stole it!
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Nevermind me, drive it like you stole it!

Will do friend Cool
porker buzz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am running 282bhp at rear wheels with a stock transaxle , and has been fine for around 3 years using fully synthetic gear oil,
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

porker buzz wrote:
i am running 282bhp at rear wheels with a stock transaxle , and has been fine for around 3 years using fully synthetic gear oil,

I did switch oils as well. When i finally got around to changeing it the magnetic plug had a bit of metriel on it. I've heard it was normal. This is my first van project. I gota say, i love it, especially with the 1.8t up and running. I got aprox 2k miles so-far. This thing gives ma a bigger smile then my r32 with less tickets. I often find my self speeding and i have to slow down Cool
VR6 vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: vr6 in vanagon swap Reply with quote

go for the vr6 swap! I did one on my 82 vanagon and love it!
As for the whole deck height thing, I think I can just raise my entire rear seat a couple inches and still have the bed lay down flat!
porker buzz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just drive it and enjoy it , but dont go dropping the clutch at high revs or you will end up breaking something, i run mobil shc fully synthetic gear oil in my dk aircooled box and all has been fine , if you really want to use and abuse it budget for a uprated box in the near future, also budget for uprated chrome molly cv joint cages
Bern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll be working on getting my vr6 under the stock decklid without a loss of ground clearance pretty soon.... too some measurements and it does seem to be possible...
SeattleDownhill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy Brian has a 91 Jetta that he swapped a VR from a 96(?) Jetta (about 135,000 miles and running pretty damn good). It got hit in the rear pretty good and now that motor needs a new home... My '87 2wd weekender needs a new motor and more power. I've tried searching out parts lists and instructions on how to do the swap online, but I seem to be coming up a bit short in my quest for info on the swap.

Any idea on how much of the jetta we'll be able to use for parts to swap into the van? I know some guys that seem to have connections in the VW world (i'm pretty new to it all) that might be able to help out with the swap, but I'd like to learn how to do it all and be able to do most of it myself. The wiring seems to be my biggest weakpoint with it all, that and a place to do the swap.

Bern, You mentioned trying to get the motor under the decklid... How is that coming along? Is it possible to shorten up the oil pan to gain ground clearance so you can mount the motor a bit lower? It would also be nice to not have to cut into the engine bay area too much (preferably not at all). There's something about hacking away at a perfectly good van to fit the motor that just makes me hurt a little inside.
troybullard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: vr6 swap? Reply with quote

BERN or anyone else who knows-

I read a thread with you saying this is a simple build. Do you have suggestions on mounting the VR6 in the vanagon and what did you do to wire the motor to the van?

I’m trying to get ready to install my VR6 in my vanagon.

Reply or call me.

Troy Bullard
[email protected]
385-235-2101
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: vr6 swap? Reply with quote

I have a nice 3.6 VR6 from a Passat Wagon with 100k on it. I have a Doka that would be sweet with a VR6, but the harness and ECU part would make this a crazy project unless some aftermarket simple setup exists.

But to have nearly 300 HP in the Doka would be killer.

Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: vr6 swap? Reply with quote

troybullard wrote:
BERN or anyone else who knows-

I read a thread with you saying this is a simple build. Do you have suggestions on mounting the VR6 in the vanagon and what did you do to wire the motor to the van?

I’m trying to get ready to install my VR6 in my vanagon.

Reply or call me.

Troy Bullard
[email protected]
385-235-2101

this guy did a really good job documenting his VR6 swap...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=467765&highlight=vr6
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: