Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.1 vanagon exhaust pipes
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
frank menschel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: 2.1 vanagon exhaust pipes Reply with quote

hi any information on best and least expensive supplier for front/rear/j exhaust pipes for a 2.1 vanagon.
thanks
frank
Creativemind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: S&S Exhaust System Probably the cheapest in Cost/ Stainl Reply with quote

Last Year I realized my stock system was rusting out and I purchased the S&S Exhaust System from Ken Wilford at Vanagain.com.

The unit was painted black but it was a crap basic black non-heat resistant paint. After my mechanic installed it, I was told it a bit rough to fit in.

Within 2 months of driving all of the black paint came off, 6 months later winter came and so did the rust all over the pipes by the end of that year.

Rust:
This summer I removed them, spent a week sanding all the rust off them then applied VHT high temp 2,000 degree exhaust primer & paint to them. So far parts of the paint peeled off already exposing the primer and I just re-coated them today. It has been rust free since the paint was applied. But its a battle of your on the east coast.

Sound:
The sound is much louder than stock, it has a throatier sound to them. If your looking for a louder pipe that give more a performance sound and live on the west coast they would be fine.

Power Boost?
Some say to have received power boosts after installation, I cant quantify an answer really. I thought initially I did notice something in comparison to my rusty stock exhaust but who knows really.

Other Products:
I know that there is a place called eVWparts.com that sells an inexpensive system but never knew of anyone who had bought one.

Ceramic Coating:
I have heard mixed things about ceramic coating as well, some tell it does not work, some swear by it.

Stainless Steel:
The best and ideal is this, check for a site by Frank Condelli Site, I think he might sell one. Never rusts. Very expensive.
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got/installed a set for the 1.9l from evwparts in Feb. and so far am pleased with 'em. I also got the hardware kit from Vancafe. I've been applying the p-nut oil every couple of months and it seems to be doin the trick. Oh yeah, the p-nut oil makes it smell REALLY GOOD Laughing Check the Samba classifieds...
http://www.evwparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Scr...gonExhaust
Creativemind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: eVW Exhaust Sound Comparrison Reply with quote

Hows the sound of eVWparts unit compared to the stock exhaust?
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it's nearly identical. I have a hollowed out cat with a stock muffler. Nice mellow tone.
thewump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigsteveob wrote:
I would say it's nearly identical. I have a hollowed out cat with a stock muffler. Nice mellow tone.

Hollowed out.. like for decorative purposes only? Have wondered about this and other decorative changes like plugging the EGR valve. Is it standard practice to remove semi-useless emissions stuff for performance gains? Now that I think about it, is there an airpump on a belt? I know that was the first thing to go on my Triumph.

K
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the outside, you can't tell the cat conv. is empty. It was pretty plugged up so I poked all the crap out with a long screwdriver and hammer.
Tomasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 vanagon exhaust pipes Reply with quote

frank menschel wrote:
hi any information on best and least expensive supplier for front/rear/j exhaust pipes for a 2.1 vanagon.
thanks
frank

van cafe has no shipping charges this month so you may want to consider them, I ordered manifold to large elbow connection and #1/#3 exhaust manifold, total price comes out to be probably what you would pay at Bus Depot but at least you know you will get it within a week or so

also picked up a muffler from Go Westy's Cost +10% and free shipping, they seem to have the best deal on Danska mufflers, including test pipe it all came together ok after many muffler positioning adjustments,although I wouldn't mind having an extra gasket at one of the connections as there appears to be a tiny leak there, onto the next project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We sell both the S&S systems and the stock system. The S&S claims a slight performance improvement versus stock, although having used it I can't say I've noticed any "real world" difference. S&S also offers a ceramic coated option by special order (which we also offer). Theoretically it should last much longer than their standard steel version, although I have not personally tried it. Personally I prefer the stock system, and that's what I run on my '87. It is quieter than the S&S, the fit is a bit better, it is very solid and holds up well, and if a single pipe fails you can easily obtain and replace any piece separately.

Here you can find a diagram of all of the stock 2.1L exhaust parts, along with pricing:
http://busdepot.com/details/exhaust21.jsp
You can buy the whole system at a package price, or get the parts piecemeal. This is all top-shelf product, such as Dansk, Bosal, Ansa, and Ernst. I encourage you to compare prices. For example, my crossover pipe is $119, which is literally half of GoWesty's "not-returnable 10% over cost" $243 price; my muffler is $109 versus their $141 and Van-Cafe's $152.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tomasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those that compare prices make sure you compare brand name for brand name, GoWesty's crossover pipes are even more expensive under their +10% option than their regular site, which does not make any sense, however they do seem to have lowest priced Danska brand muffler, plus free shipping
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This assumes that the Dansk muffler is worth more money than other competing top-tier brands. But it's not. Not only is the Dansk muffler no better, it is in fact the same muffler that is sold under several different name brands.

Often on BusDepot.com you will come across a listing where several name brands are shown for same listing (i.e. "Dansk, Bosal, or Ansa"). Usually the item features a "hot" icon, which on our site denotes a recommended and/or top selling product. My $109 2.1L Vanagon muffler is one example. I buy these by the hundreds, and put the screws on the top-tier suppliers for the lowest price, shopping one supplier against the other. $109 gets you a muffler from whichever top-tier supplier was "hungriest" at the moment and willing to cut the best deal. It has variously been Ernst, Dansk, Bosal, or Ansa, but always a top brand. Often I will also list specific brands at a higher price (for someone who is brand-particular and wants nothing but that brand), but usuallly your best bargain is the "hot" one that I've cross-shopped for price and quality. Otherwise you would end up paying $60 more for a muffler that was frankly no better, or maybe even identical.

As for crossover pipes, Dansk is the only supplier (besides the VW dealer), so the $243 GoWesty one is identical to my $119 one. But you raise an excellent point. GoWesty claims that everything on their full-line site is 10% over cost (and, incidentally, non-returnable). Yet their own sister site sells the $243 "10% over cost" part for $179. And I sell it for $119. So what is "cost," and how can the highest price be "10% over cost?" Buying a part at 10% over "cost" is not a bargain if the "cost" is high to begin with.

The moral? Be a smart consumer. Shop around, for price and quality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jopex and Dansk it appears are owned by teh same danish company. I have a dansk 356C muffler. horrible welding, the weld bead inside the ports covered about 30% of the port area. after grinding it down it got somewhat better, but still not as good as teh original muffler. the steel pipe they forced into the flange was not tight aginst the flange, so even after porting the hole was still restricted becuase they did not force the pipes walls to fit the flange fully. piece of crap part.

next is my Vanagon header pipes made by that danish company Jopex, again JUNK, the welds are big and ugley and block the port opening, and the wleds in some spots were lesee than fulll penetrating. finally the #1/#3 header (2.1 liter wasser boxer) would not fit, they bent it wrong, and it hit on the case. piece of junk, even if you looked beyond the crappy (shitty) welding job on this danish piece of shit.

as far as i am concerned, Dansk and Jopex are rip off junk exhaust parts, they appear to be assembled by a drunk dane. these guys ought to stick to wooden shoes. totaly crappy products. and all it would take to get right is a little work with a jig and some propper welding training.

shame on this danish crap avoid it at all costs. maybe one day some one will make a decent, even a half way decent vanagon exhaust system. my engine should have been installed last week, but now we have to wait for an OEM pipe to arrive, no more danish crap, I am fed up with this shitty exhaust company. dansk, jopex, it is all danish for "shit".
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an S&S system on my '88. Fit, finish, and sound are poor. Any performance improvements are imperceptible to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave menche wrote:
Jopex and Dansk it appears are owned by teh same danish company. I have a dansk 356C muffler. horrible welding, the weld bead inside the ports covered about 30% of the port area. after grinding it down it got somewhat better, but still not as good as teh original muffler. the steel pipe they forced into the flange was not tight aginst the flange, so even after porting the hole was still restricted becuase they did not force the pipes walls to fit the flange fully. piece of crap part.

next is my Vanagon header pipes made by that danish company Jopex, again JUNK, the welds are big and ugley and block the port opening, and the wleds in some spots were lesee than fulll penetrating. finally the #1/#3 header (2.1 liter wasser boxer) would not fit, they bent it wrong, and it hit on the case. piece of junk, even if you looked beyond the crappy (shitty) welding job on this danish piece of shit.

as far as i am concerned, Dansk and Jopex are rip off junk exhaust parts, they appear to be assembled by a drunk dane.

So tell us what you really think...

Quote:
these guys ought to stick to wooden shoes.

The Dutch might not like the competition. Think they'd "sabotage" the Danish factories?

Quote:
maybe one day some one will make a decent, even a half way decent vanagon exhaust system.

<shameless plug alert!!>

I do know this one guy..... thick flanges, brazed on, every joint carefully flamewelded, no raggedy MIG beads and slag.....not cheap, but you pay for handmade quality. Performs, too, not claims to, it does. But you can't be afraid of some sound.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Made to order. Click below.....

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
dave menche wrote:

as far as i am concerned, Dansk and Jopex are rip off junk exhaust parts, they appear to be assembled by a drunk dane.

So tell us what you really think...

Quote:
these guys ought to stick to wooden shoes.

The Dutch might not like the competition. Think they'd "sabotage" the Danish factories?

Quote:
maybe one day some one will make a decent, even a half way decent vanagon exhaust system.

<shameless plug alert!!>

I do know this one guy..... thick flanges, brazed on, every joint carefully flamewelded, no raggedy MIG beads and slag.....not cheap, but you pay for handmade quality. Performs, too, not claims to, it does. But you can't be afraid of some sound.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Made to order. Click below.....

Thats a work of art.....a spensive work of art. Very Happy
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats teh cost, for the stainless for a 2.1 liter wasserboxer????
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, thanks for asking, but showing a pic is all the pimping I'm going to allow myself on the forum; I've already overstepped the rules. All the info is in my ad, click on the link in my sig, about halfway down is the pricing for exhausts. You can contact me via the email link in the ad.

Pipes are not stainless, though. If you have to have SS I'm not your man.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: eVWParts Vanagon exhaust Reply with quote

All the Vanagon exhaust parts are OEM manufacture, either Dansk or Jopex, owned by ther same Danish company. They are the same thickness as stock. Catalytic converters are aftermarket, to compete with all the other aftermarlet, and mufflers are avialable German OEM or aftermarket.
SWbySWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found one hole I put in my exhaust, but I'm still searching for another. My question is that I might only need to replace 1 pipe.

From my reading, it seems people have trouble since they are all rusty (mine too). Is it logical to spend nearly $400 additional to replace the entire exhaust when my muffler and cat are still good and I only need 1or2 pipes? (I'm in CA).
rushvan86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey. I have got an 86 that had a busted connector pipe (catalytic converter back) I found Bus Depot has some really good prices (the best I found) for that certain pipe i needed. Mounted up and works great. Good Luck

http://busdepot.com/catalog.jsp?model=43&category=17&group=31
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: