Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kombis with interior panels?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOS PARTS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Ragtop wrote:
I have a 64 Sun Roof Kombi That was ordered with all the seats, interior panels, walk through and 2 tone paint Tutq/Blue White unfortunately all the interior was gone when I got it .

My question is what color panels and seats does it take
Would the seats and panels be como green or grey?

Also does the Walk Through section take panels?

Sounds like an interesting bus.
Can we see pics of the M-code plate, and of the bus?
Does it have the metal strips around the roof edges like the kombi w/interior panels pictured above?
M-code plate should say interior/ seat color. I'd think for a kombi it'd have kombi colored seats and smooth gray panels in the back, like the back DC panels, nothing on bulkhead

the 64 kombi in the eccles book had roof panels, if I recall where only above seats, not above luggage area
long panel, short panel, cargo door panels and bulk head panels. the nos set I have, have bulk head panels. they look like a push up bra, since only panels on either side of spare bulge-all with wood strips

hugheseum wrote:
oh hell yeah,been looking for an excuse to rock assless chaps!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOS PARTS, can you post pics of your NOS set?? A buddy of mine and I were thinking of making him some panels for his 65 hawaii kombi. We were going to use masonite, but am wondering what the wood looked like. Does anyone make the og type board material??
Thanks
Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOS PARTS wrote:
Clara wrote:
Ragtop wrote:
I have a 64 Sun Roof Kombi That was ordered with all the seats, interior panels, walk through and 2 tone paint Tutq/Blue White unfortunately all the interior was gone when I got it .

Does it have the metal strips around the roof edges like the kombi w/interior panels pictured above?
M-code plate should say interior/ seat color. I'd think for a kombi it'd have kombi colored seats and smooth gray panels in the back, like the back DC panels, nothing on bulkhead

the 64 kombi in the eccles book had roof panels, if I recall where only above seats, not above luggage area
long panel, short panel, cargo door panels and bulk head panels. the nos set I have, have bulk head panels. they look like a push up bra, since only panels on either side of spare bulge-all with wood strips

Mine is a sunroof (ragtop) and walk through. I know it didn't have panels around the sunroof but not sure about the walk through partitions.
So should I assume all the interior should be gray?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
abuspilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Interesting for sure!! This list of vehicles sounds interesting, so how many of them run. Laughing I was once told I have an indoor junkyard for not having any of the 3 buses I own running. Laughing Just curious, the list is certainly impressive. Wink

Quote:
#78 SBS Are You Down
1950 Split Bug
1958 Double Door Panel
1958 Double Door Walk Thru Panel
1958 Single Cab
1961 15 Window
1961 Double Cab
1963 15 Window Walk Thru
1964 Sunroof Kombi /Walk-thru
1965 21 Window
1965 Double Door/Walk-thru Sundial
1966 Bug
1974 Thing
1974 Baja Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOS PARTS wrote:
Clara wrote:
Ragtop wrote:

dunno what was in the eccle sbook, there is so much wrong in that book I would not quote it as a reference. There is also enough right that you don't know.
Anyhow, normally a kombi had cab panels, nothing else.

derluftwagen wrote:
NOS PARTS, can you post pics of your NOS set??

x2
Quote:
Does anyone make the og type board material??
Thanks

The DC panels are masonite, hatch pattern one side, smooth the other.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragtop wrote:
NOS PARTS wrote:
Clara wrote:
Ragtop wrote:

Mine is a sunroof (ragtop) and walk through. I know it didn't have panels around the sunroof but not sure about the walk through partitions.

please post a pic of your M-code plate (wash out the end of the VIN if you want), and pics of the inside of the bus.
does it have the metal strips around the edge of the ceiling, like the first bus discussed?

The paint code on your bus is for a two tone kombi. usually seen on westfalia campers. Is the cargo area all painted, or gray?
Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="abuspilot"]
Clara wrote:
Interesting for sure!! This list of vehicles sounds interesting, so how many of them run. Laughing I was once told I have an indoor junkyard for not having any of the 3 buses I own running. Laughing Just curious, the list is certainly impressive. Wink

1950 Split Bug Does not run still collecting parts

1958 Double Door Panel Runs lowered

1958 Double Door Walk Thru Panel Sold replaced with 58 pb kombi does not run

1958 Single Cab Runs Stock Hieght

1961 15 Window Runs but not reg. still needs work

1961 Double Cab Runs and is a Bad ass truck Laughing

1963 15 Window Walk Thru Runs lowered on Fuches still needs a little body work

1964 Sunroof Kombi /Walk-thru Runs lowered on Fuches not reg

1965 21 Window Runs not reg. I'm just about done with a ground up restoration

1965 Double Door/Walk-thru Sundial Runs and is for sale Laughing

1966 Bug Run og white patina

1974 Thing Runs and looks sweet

1974 Baja Bug Runs and built for my son he can almost drive

Look at my gallery for pics and if I don't have tell me which one you want to see Wink
Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Ragtop wrote:
NOS PARTS wrote:
Clara wrote:
Ragtop wrote:

please post a pic of your M-code plate (wash out the end of the VIN if you want), and pics of the inside of the bus.
does it have the metal strips around the edge of the ceiling, like the first bus discussed?

The paint code on your bus is for a two tone kombi. usually seen on westfalia campers. Is the cargo area all painted, or gray?

Clara I'll post pictures next week. Bruce (slugbugblue) is storing the bus for me. Binnie Brian has also seen it when he was in ALBQ. on his way to the classic.
The cargo area is primerd. Also like stated Everett added the numbers from this M-code to the westy or kombi area.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derluftwagen wrote:
NOS PARTS, can you post pics of your NOS set?? A buddy of mine and I were thinking of making him some panels for his 65 hawaii kombi. We were going to use masonite, but am wondering what the wood looked like. Does anyone make the og type board material??
Thanks
i think the problem with masonite or hardboard for those ceiling panels is finding them in a 5x5 size

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Kombis with interior panels?? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
mousegrey64 wrote:
all the panels in the rear including the headliner are made of the same material as the all the front panels.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Are you sure the rear panels are made of the same stuff as the front ones?
Could you take a pic of where they meet?
I suspect the front has the pebble grain and the back are smooth. Like the cab roof of a SC and the roof and back interior of a DC are smooth.

And what is that at the back? A bunch of screws holding the roof panel to what?
sunroof 2 tone w/t interior panel option kombi is about as good a a fat hatch bus gets, well maybee if it were a westy? awesome bus

Love the way you're pulling the swivel lovers chains.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
i find it interesting that the center roof bow does not have screws securing it. or am i just not seeing them?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Sunroofgod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one I had a year or so ago

NOS PARTS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
NOS PARTS wrote:
Clara wrote:
Ragtop wrote:

dunno what was in the eccle sbook, there is so much wrong in that book I would not quote it as a reference. There is also enough right that you don't know.
Anyhow, normally a kombi had cab panels, nothing else.

derluftwagen wrote:
NOS PARTS, can you post pics of your NOS set??

x2
Quote:
Does anyone make the og type board material??
Thanks

The DC panels are masonite, hatch pattern one side, smooth the other.

there might be LOTS of wrong in the eccles book, but that 64 Kombi with interior panels all orig and correct

hugheseum wrote:
oh hell yeah,been looking for an excuse to rock assless chaps!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volkscafe wrote:
Here is one I had a year or so ago

Were did the bus go? Our M-codes are almost identical except for the export and color. Do you know what the OG colors where for your Kombi?
Rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombis with interior panels?? Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
i find it interesting that the center roof bow does not have screws securing it. or am i just not seeing them?

screws are not needed when you get those panels in. They are under such tension that once they snap in they form to the shape of the roof. In fact getting them out once they go in can be quite a difficult task (ask me how I know... Cool )
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went back to take another look at the swivel seat kombi and took more pics

panels in the rear are smooth

m-codes read
375 North America. 6 pop outs and safari windows
013 middle and rear seats plus panels in cargo area
178 RPM limiter- 1200cc engine
?193 semaphores. doesn't make sense, no semaphores on this bus. maybe 198?
199 swivels drivers seat
510 cab divider? doesn't make sense
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombis with interior panels?? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
mousegrey64 wrote:
all the panels in the rear including the headliner are made of the same material as the all the front panels.

I suspect the front has the pebble grain and the back are smooth. Like the cab roof of a SC and the roof and back interior of a DC are smooth.

it looks like a piece of wood shaped to the roof, similar to a Westie. i actually found another panel headliner bus the weekend. it was a 65 and the roof looked just like the one pictured above. no pictures because it was dark and no m-codes. the bulkhead had been removed and the bus was being used as a shed. nice jersey looker though. it had 1953 Ford tail lights, cut wells, widened steel VW wheels and a small 70s style grant steering wheel. this is my only shot of the bus

Sunroofgod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragtop wrote:
Were did the bus go? Our M-codes are almost identical except for the export and color. Do you know what the OG colors where for your Kombi?

Overseas somewhere....I don't know the original colors as the bus appears to have been taken down pretty close to bare metal when it was painted. I scratched a few areas inside hoping to find the original paint color, but no luck.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Kombis with interior panels?? Reply with quote

mousegrey64 wrote:
Clara wrote:
mousegrey64 wrote:

it looks like a piece of wood shaped to the roof, similar to a Westie. i actually found another panel headliner bus the weekend. it was a 65 and the roof looked just like the one pictured above. no pictures because it was dark and no m-codes. the bulkhead had been removed and the bus was being used as a shed. nice jersey looker though. it had 1953 Ford tail lights, cut wells, widened steel VW wheels and a small 70s style grant steering wheel. this is my only shot of the bus

thanks for the info on this headliner.
is it possible that you could take a pic near the fresh airbox on the driver's side showing the detail where the front cab and rear ceiling panels meet?

here are a few more pics of my 66 showing what's left of rear hatch hinge covers and the roof bows. my bus also has no holes in the center roof bow fwiw.

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

Thomas Jefferson
fig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early South African kombis were supplied with standard rear seats and roof and side panels. Here are two 57s, one with an original paint interior:

Repainted 57 kombi interior:

Original paint 57 kombi interior:

"Don't make a fuss, just get on the bus ..."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rain's Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very interesting subject I have never seen an interior paneled combi in person before so it is very cool to see how they did it. I wonder if any barndoors were delivered with hardboard interiors??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: