Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ambulance Fan Switch Help
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ratpanel61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Ambulance Fan Switch Help Reply with quote

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me how to determine if my ambulance fan switch is good or bad? The fans work fine one at a time hardwired to the test battery, but with the switch neither one works. is there a way to read it out with a meter? There's 6 posts on it for the wiring, but I can't figure out if it's good or not. I don't want to have to spend $100 for a new switch if I don't have to. Also where do the jumper wires come from and go to on the switch? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintagebus has a copy of the '58 tech bulletin on how to install ambulance fans (Electric Ventilator Set) -- here's page 2 that has a picture & wiring diagram.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Remember - You are required to get older but you are not required to grow up!
62 SC & 66 Bus
bmx2c4me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: wiring detail Reply with quote

Make sure your ground contact is good or connect the neg to the battery directly. Make sure there is good contact (with continuity tester) at the screw terminals (so when you crimp a wire down it contacts well)

Basically the switch is a voltage drop with 2 settings full voltage or half voltage....One at least should work (switch position 1) which gives 6 volts to one (or both fans)

testing should be obvious based on the wiring diagrams. when the switch is on you should have continuity between all positive and negative terminals, just limited voltage at switch position 2. (see below)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I want to understand the operational theory of 6 volt fans. I have two sets of fans that will eventually be restored and installed into my '59 Double-Cab and '59 Double-Door Panel.

When the switch is turned to the low speed position, do both fans operate at a lower speed or does only one of the two fans operate? Mine aren't installed or ready to test yet, so looking for someone who has experienced this already.

Also, has anyone successfully reproduced the black knob (I have white knobs).

Last question, I've seen folks talk about blue and red lenses in the switch. What color would have been correct back in the day???

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Okay, I want to understand the operational theory of 6 volt fans. I have two sets of fans that will eventually be restored and installed into my '59 Double-Cab and '59 Double-Door Panel.

When the switch is turned to the low speed position, do both fans operate at a lower speed or does only one of the two fans operate? Mine aren't installed or ready to test yet, so looking for someone who has experienced this already.

Also, has anyone successfully reproduced the black knob (I have white knobs).

Last question, I've seen folks talk about blue and red lenses in the switch. What color would have been correct back in the day???

Bill Bowman

i had a problem with finding black knobs for my panel
i end up sandingthe ones i had down and painting them
rustolem satin black is a close match to the orig color

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't even thought of that! That could work too. I just figured that someone out there had probably cast them in black plastic by now... Thanks for the suggestion!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
When the switch is turned to the low speed position, do both fans operate at a lower speed or does only one of the two fans operate?

Both fans operate at a lower speed.

BulliBill wrote:
Last question, I've seen folks talk about blue and red lenses in the switch. What color would have been correct back in the day?

All of mine have red lenses in the knob.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to this thread, here are the factory installation manuals for an Ambulance fan:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletins/e4.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Transporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, A couple years ago, I picked up a few german switches that had black knobs that were exactly the same as the white ones. I'll see if I can dig up any info from the seller.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a original sealing wax red set that has black switch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding these photos to this thread since this thread is in the FAQ:

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is copied from a post in the build thread from my '59 DC restoration, as it is great info for this thread too:

By the way, good news to report! I'm going to assist "ezcamper" and loan him a nice condition used black ambulance fan spacer ring which he will use to mold a reproduction ring for anyone in need of them to replace those cracked, broken or completely missing spacer rings on your ambulance fan switches. So in the near future you can contact him if you need a spacer ring for your ambo switch...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
This is copied from a post in the build thread from my '59 DC restoration, as it is great info for this thread too:

By the way, good news to report! I'm going to assist "ezcamper" and loan him a nice condition used black ambulance fan spacer ring which he will use to mold a reproduction ring for anyone in need of them to replace those cracked, broken or completely missing spacer rings on your ambulance fan switches. So in the near future you can contact him if you need a spacer ring for your ambo switch...

Bill
Nice.
Any plans to make some black switch knobs?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We talked this morning, and I don't think that Chad is planning to repro the knob in black, or ivory. He is borrowing my spacer ring to reproduce it. That is all that is planned... for now.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fresh out of the mold. Reproduction on the right.

I make HWE style roof racks, Jim-Dandy racks, SO-33 metal parts, Dormobile racks, HWE style ladders, engine crank start handles, Westy rack tags, Binz tags, Sundial badges, State of California tags, steering lock electrical covers and single / double cab gate latch friction blocks.

instagram is http://instagram.com/bullidriversteelworks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Crap! That is awesome, so mine is on the left? Hard to tell any difference!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your original is on the left. It is shinier. The mold release dulls the copy. (normally I would not use mold release but I didn't want to break your original!!!)

I just made 2 more. Bill, I'll ship them to you on Saturday. You wanted 3 repops right?

Thanks again for letting me borrow it.
I make HWE style roof racks, Jim-Dandy racks, SO-33 metal parts, Dormobile racks, HWE style ladders, engine crank start handles, Westy rack tags, Binz tags, Sundial badges, State of California tags, steering lock electrical covers and single / double cab gate latch friction blocks.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad,

Those look great.

Thanks for taking the time to make these. much appreciated.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sweat, and no rush. Very impressive what some folks can do to help the rest of us out! Nice job, looks good. I guess the happy new owners of your rings can do what I did to the repro black ambulance switch knob. I used a Dremel drill with a small buffing wheel and plastic polish to easily shine up the matte-finish to a high luster.

Yeah, three would be awesome, then all of my "used" ambulances switches will have a nice condition spacer ring.

You need to set up an ad once you produce a few more of them and make some more ambulance fan switch owner very happy! Maybe your next goal ought to be "black" ambulance switch knobs?

I'm happy to have helped by loaning you the original spacer ring! Thanks for undertaking the reproduction of these! They look great!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad placed.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: