Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

low hinge cargo door differences
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeeDubyaBugz Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: low hinge cargo door differences Reply with quote

Hi,
i have two sets of low hinge doors. The ones closest to the back-no outside handle, each have a different hole for the latch. One has just a rectangular hole so getting the rod in and the screws will be difficult. the other one has the rectangular hole with the area cut/molded out so that you can easily screw in the cargo door rods to the mechanism. What years used which door and do they use the same mechanism?
thanks
blackdog1999 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a change in 1962 I believe on the rear cargo door. So 61 & early 62 are the rectangular hole. The other style is 62-67.
elliottjohnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackdog1999 wrote:
So 61 & early 62 are the rectangular hole. The other style is 62-67.

On my early 63 (Sep 20th 1962, #1,002,394) I have low hinge cargo doors with the early style rear door mechanism that takes the notched rods rather than the bolt on kind. So really it should be more like early 63-67. It would be nice to get a vin number on when that change took place.

If you need the later bolt on rods I have a pair that I won't use. PM me if your interested.
BeeDubyaBugz Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so are the front cargo doors the same then? or are they also different?
Thanks so much for the replys!
elliottjohnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So out of curiosity I decided to look the chassis numbers up on the oacdp (http://oacdp.com/pdfs/5867s8.pdf) and here's what I found.

The high to low hinge change happened at chassis 705619 (page 33, part number 211841091A -> 211841091C)

The notched check rod change to the later bolt on style happened at chassis 1,019,924 (page 35, part number 211841705A -> 211841705B)

So the door hinge hight changed December of 61 (62 model year) and the "rear" cargo door latch mechanism changed Sept-Oct 1962 (1963 model year).

EDIT - updated the link to the oacdp.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: