Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original Engine Traders Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephenmullens wrote:
EverettB wrote:

The vehicles I have seen with original engines matched the listing on this site. The only discrepancies I have seen were in regards to some of the month-end numbers. So no, you would not typically see an engine # dated a month earlier than the vehicle.

The numbers on the site are from the VW Dealer book Progressive Refinements and I would refer to those over any other non-VW book.

I was informed by another knowledgeable member of the community that within two months before or after the month of manufacture was accurate. I guess not! That makes my search even tougher.

I can't say with 100% certainty but unless your VW is near a month start or end, I would say it should be the same month.

Every car I have owned with the original engine had an engine and VIN from the same month according to the charts on this site. You could even calculate it to be in the correct location in the month. Example: VIN 50% through the month had an engine approx. 50% through the month. This is on VWs ranging from 55-67.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stephenmullens Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
stephenmullens wrote:
EverettB wrote:

The vehicles I have seen with original engines matched the listing on this site. The only discrepancies I have seen were in regards to some of the month-end numbers. So no, you would not typically see an engine # dated a month earlier than the vehicle.

The numbers on the site are from the VW Dealer book Progressive Refinements and I would refer to those over any other non-VW book.

I was informed by another knowledgeable member of the community that within two months before or after the month of manufacture was accurate. I guess not! That makes my search even tougher.

I can't say with 100% certainty but unless your VW is near a month start or end, I would say it should be the same month.

Every car I have owned with the original engine had an engine and VIN from the same month according to the charts on this site. You could even calculate it to be in the correct location in the month. Example: VIN 50% through the month had an engine approx. 50% through the month. This is on VWs ranging from 55-67.

Got it. I edited my post above to be in the same month as the vins on both of my '58s based on this information. Thanks.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have:
20-0850469 (8/54)
20-0791922 (5/54)
20-1210091 (7/55, in my '54 Truck)

20-0791922 is supposed to be the original engine from this Bus:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=741120
so contact me if you buy that Bus.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sventinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For example, I have a April of 55 singlecab VIN 20 125xxx, according to the VW Tansporter and Microbus Specfication Guide, the singlecab should have a engine # between 20-991 590 and 20-1120 614.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=849924

you mean this one?
025 Safety belts
195 Adjustable bench seat/backrest (until 1963)
dawerks wrote:
Perfection only comes with delusion.

http://www.oacdp.org/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dunebubby
Samba Thread Killer

Location: In my den,throwing darts at a picture of my ex-boss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got engine number 5414814. Seems to be Nov 1960? It runs,(was rebuilt) but smokes,(around corners),I heard that is an oil ring issue?? Got it out of a restored rag that was wrecked.
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

23 window collection wrote:
gatorwyatt wrote:
what happens when you find the correct and ORIGINAL to the vehicle case and the seller wont sell it or wont continue any discussion regarding any sort of offer or compensation?

Aggravation, frustration Sad

Why won't the "holder" of the engine let it go back to the OG vehicle?
If the current "holder" needs a specific motor that is in the same number range.....maybe just maybe someone will have the engine the "holder" really needs. Or prehaps we can help through gentle or so so gentle persuasion the necessity for the two units to reunite? Laughing

i am not exactly sure why the "holder"will not reunite my engine case back with its rightful owner but all was said was"i have a 54 bus and i bought it for that one"then"hey sell me your binz"...hahahahaha.maybe he paid too much for it and wont feel it would fetch the price he paid maybe he just does not like me,maybe he is just not into letting things go that he owns...not sure.he ended all discussion about it and would not return a phone call so?

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sventinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
gatorwyatt wrote:
what happens when you find the correct and ORIGINAL to the vehicle case and the seller wont sell it or wont continue any discussion regarding any sort of offer or compensation?

If the current "holder" needs a specific motor that is in the same number range.....maybe just maybe someone will have the engine the "holder" really needs. Or prehaps we can help through gentle or so so gentle persuasion the necessity for the two units to reunite? Laughing

i am not exactly sure why the "holder"will not reunite my engine case back with its rightful owner but all was said was"i have a 54 bus and i bought it for that one"then"hey sell me your binz"...hahahahaha.maybe he paid too much for it and wont feel it would fetch the price he paid maybe he just does not like me,maybe he is just not into letting things go that he owns...not sure.he ended all discussion about it and would not return a phone call so?

ok I found a buyer for the 55 bus motor I have. I do believe in doing what is right. but since I have placed my adds for the car it is in or an add for the engine with strong encouragement to buy the whole car . all the people who want me to rip it out the car and sell it to them wanted to pay me $200.00 for a strong running "correct" engine for their bus ???? am I stupid or something first off what would it cost me to find a turnkey motor used or not to replace this motor so I can still sell the bug? not $200 that's for sure. and if finding the correct engine for our busses is like finding a needle in a haystack then why lowball the offer . I am sure when I go to find my middle and rear seats no one is going to say oh here you go . and that will be $200.00 let alone all the og parts I need. so that said in your case The guy is being a dick. but if you find one dont insult the seller or embarrass yourself. you don't always know what that person knows . don't assume they are naive . pay the money it is worth to you and maybe the person will be more apt to be fair with price.
025 Safety belts
195 Adjustable bench seat/backrest (until 1963)
dawerks wrote:
Perfection only comes with delusion.

http://www.oacdp.org/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sventinker wrote:
Quote:
gatorwyatt wrote:

ok I found a buyer for the 55 bus motor I have. I do believe in doing what is right. but since I have placed my adds for the car it is in or an add for the engine with strong encouragement to buy the whole car . all the people who want me to rip it out the car and sell it to them wanted to pay me $200.00 for a strong running "correct" engine for their bus ???? am I stupid or something first off what would it cost me to find a turnkey motor used or not to replace this motor so I can still sell the bug? not $200 that's for sure. and if finding the correct engine for our busses is like finding a needle in a haystack then why lowball the offer . I am sure when I go to find my middle and rear seats no one is going to say oh here you go . and that will be $200.00 let alone all the og parts I need. so that said in your case The guy is being a dick. but if you find one dont insult the seller or embarrass yourself. you don't always know what that person knows . don't assume they are naive . pay the money it is worth to you and maybe the person will be more apt to be fair with price.

Most repair shops charge atleast $150 to R&R an engine so I think a $200 offer for the engine is low. I would think a turn-key 36hp engine could be sourced for about $500 based on your location. It might be hard to track down a good runner though, 36hp smokers do not seem to hard to find.
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be at the storage warehouse today, I'll get a list of engine #'s that maybe available in exchange for engines I need.
Mr Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading through this thread a 2nd time, got me to thinking.
I wish this could be a "sticky" or some kind of permanent thread.

I feel theres a need for a single place folks could list OG engine numbers
their looking for. A "clearing house" so to speak.
I've owned my bus 15 years and long ago gave up
any chance of finding the original case. Still the idea, that some small possibility exists, it might turn up someplace lifts that old hope again.
No matter what "flavor" of wheels you roll, its a heavy "score" to have the
original engine in it's original chassi. The older the vehicle, the better the kharma, and the greater the "cool" factor, imho.

If I could ever find my old case # 0 160 230
I'd have it rebuilt carefully with balanced parts, counter weighted crank,
the whole nine yards. Thats my dream...... Very Happy
cris torlasco Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few 55 and other 36/40 HP cases which I'll list as soon as I get back to the US in about a week, in case it helps anyone.

Great thread, I vote for sticky status.

Cris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elliottjohnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cris torlasco wrote:
Great thread, I vote for sticky status.

Adding it to the split bus' FAQ engine section makes sense to me.

EDIT - I'd be interested in a good condition, stale air, 40 hp around 7088749 (~Sept 20, 1962).

Last edited by elliottjohnson on Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How Do all of you know the exact engine #? Volkswagen won't give it to you anymore on the birth certificate?
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
How Do all of you know the exact engine #? Volkswagen won't give it to you anymore on the birth certificate?

The lucky ones had the birth certificates before VW stopped. Then there are those who have enough original documentation with the bus that a dealership receipt or a service booklet may have the engine number written on it.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when did they stop giving out engine #'s on Birth certificates again? I know mine did not have it when i ordered mine over the Summer. I would love to find the correct engine(roughly) for my July 59 Mango. So would i be looking in the area of 3 098 191 according to Dropgates.com? and is that a Bastard??? Trying to date engines was always confusing to me.... Embarassed
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to change the "tune" on this thread but I had to smile when I viewed the question on how folks knew the original engine number in their bus.

Let me tell a short "sea story" here. When I retired from the Navy
(I served 30 years) in '87 , I spent the next 7 years as
a flight line mech in a civil service aircraft crew in Washington state. During that time I went through five busses before getting the one I currently own in 1995. Every time I got another bus I'd write to VW for a birth certificate and each time they sent one it would be signed by a woman named Steffi Grundel.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Steffi Grundel but one or two of those "certificates" had the the faint smell of her perfume.
The scent of a woman I guess you could say.

I've always had this image of her in my mind, based on that faint smell
of her on the papers she sent. Marlena Detrich ?? perhaps.
Blonde hair? Blue eye's?

Darn shame Volkswagen doesn't handle those certificates anymore.
Joe Caraway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: 36 hp engine Reply with quote

here is a few that i have for sale all 36 hp
715674 maybe restamp
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i smelled mine and it smells like a old file cabinet...signed by her also is a letter about the upcoming new beetle that i had also inquired about way back in 94'...

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
cris torlasco Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I ordered the certificate for a low mileage SO42 I used to own, it came with a bunch of uncommon (at least in the US) SO42 brochure copies included, unsolicited! This was back in the 90s, ahh the good old times...

Going back to the engines, I have a late (1500?) case with no numbers. Dealership replacement? Anybody knows what the story might have been with that one?

Handy to stamp any numbers I want, I suppose.

Cris
**BusBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for an engine for a June of 1963 built bus.

A 1200 between 7 336 420 and 8 264 628.
Or a 1500 after 143 543 and 500 000

Thanks

Hi 23 window collection,
The june 63 bus you have, is it a 23 window?
I am interested because my 23 over here in oz is a june 63model. Very Happy
cheers
Dave Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: