Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Link for rewire - radio on when key is in the ignition?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be safe when parked listening to the music, here is one way not to have the key in the ignition, and still power the radio.

I call it the DWI Insurance Plan, based on a paperclip <g>
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently added a key in relay for my radio in a TDi Van. I was warned it would put me at risk under the California Open container law.. But I did not want it wired any other way. I was considering a key blank instead of the paperclip <g>

I have a camper, as I understand it, campers are an exception to the open container rule, as long as you sit in the living quarters when under the influence..

see:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080731103931AA04tAr

In California, while driving on the highway in an RV, is it legal for passengers to consume alcohol?

Additional Details
I just did some further searching and found the following in the California vehicle code stating that one exception to the law includes the "living quarters of a housecar or camper". This leads me to believe that YES, passengers in a RV can consume alcohol, just like passengers in a limo, bus or taxicab.

"Possession of Alcoholic Beverages: Exceptions

23229. (a) Except as provided in Section 23229.1, Sections 23221 and 23223 do not apply to passengers in any bus, taxicab, or limousine for hire licensed to transport passengers pursuant to the Public Utilities Code or proper local authority, or the living quarters of a housecar or camper."

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc23229.htm

2 years ago
John S by John S

As far as I can tell you are correct. An RV would appear to be a housecar as defined in VC 362. So long as the passengers stay in the living quarters area, drinking appears to be lawful under VC 23229.
Source(s):
30+ years as a criminal defense attorney
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned an 82 Westy a few years ago that had the word "housecar" on the Calif pinkslip under vehicle type. I'm pretty sure the prior owner arranged for that official designation. I wonder if that is still an option with a Westy?

Mark

Jon_slider wrote:
In California, while driving on the highway in an RV, is it legal for passengers to consume alcohol?

Additional Details
I just did some further searching and found the following in the California vehicle code stating that one exception to the law includes the "living quarters of a housecar or camper". This leads me to believe that YES, passengers in a RV can consume alcohol, just like passengers in a limo, bus or taxicab.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: