Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

High Beams
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: High Beams Reply with quote

My high beams are not working on my kubel looking head lights. Low beams work fine. Actually, the right one works occationally.

I bought a replacement bulb. That's not it. I checked all the wiring and wire brushed all the terminals and leads at the relay. I looked at the switch in the column and it seems to work fine. I bought a new "replacement" relay from a bug shop and installed it. The lights don't work at all with it. It looks the same as the original thing relay, with one exception: one extra brass terminal than the old one.

Anyway, I'm officially w/o a clue of the fix for this problem. Maybe I need to get an original thing relay. Any ideas here?
LeeE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but did you check your fuses? I'm fairly sure that high beams are fused, and sometimes the fuses will be bad and still look OK, or even just need to be moved a little for better contact.

LeeE
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did check, twist/turn all the fuses on the advise of the vw shop. It must be the relay??? I'm thinging of getting an original relay from Mike Basso.
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does the same friggin thing! Lo beams work fine, but only my right high beam works. I thought it was my old headlight, but I replaced my sealed beams w/ halogen H4's, and it still happens. The guys on another forum told me to clean all my contacts- but still no luck. Maybe I need a new relay too. Crying or Very sad
Andromeda451
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: High Beam relay Reply with quote

N,

Does the HB relay click when you attempt to raise the headlights? If not pull the panel and reposition/clean the relay mount as 70% of the time the relay loses ground and fails to operate. If the relay is clicking and only one headlight goes high and you've cleaned the connections then it's time to work on the harness. The spade connectors on the fuse panel get weak and corrode. The spade lugs need to be cut off and replaced with new. Not a big job, takes me about 1/2 an hour to re-do the entire panel. Make sure you get a good crimper, avoid the el-cheapo's as they aren't worth the metal they're fabricated from. If you're good with a soldering pencil you can also carefull re-solder each spade lug where the wire and lug connect, this will clear up any electrical gremlins but takes more time.

Andromeda451
73 Type 181
74 Type 181
z-volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same thing happened to me.. I replaced the switch after i bought new bulbs , Well at least have some spare bulbs now. Thanks for the tip
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: My high beam will light or shine when I depress the high beam lever (on the column) and hold it. As long as I hold the lever back, they stay bright or high. Anybody got ideas? Sounds like the lever switch is malfunctioning....the one in the column. Thanks. Richard
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

been a while since youve been heard from. Its probably a broken piece in the turn signal stalk. There is a little plastic piece that protrudes where the high beam switch is. If that plastic tang is broken off(its common for it to be), the high beams will do exactly what you mention. Ive got a good turn signal switch with a broken tang for sale.......anyone need one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a bad headlight relay to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: