Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Running Boards?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MN Thing Girl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Running Boards? Reply with quote

Good day all!
Long time Thing lover, fairly new owner.
Been slowly restoring a 73 and it's about at the daily driver state. Hooray! Now we're starting to look at new paint. It still has the original. It's all fairly original in fact.
Here's my question. My Thing has running boards. I've noticed that in photos of other Things they don't have running boards. Also, mine seem to be bolted on from the outside. After market style. As if it was done by the previous owner. Is this really original body work??
I can post photos if needed. Appreciate any help with this.
thx Michele
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Running Boards? Reply with quote

Running boards were for Acapulco models. Not sure what you mean by "bolted on from outside." How else would you do it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
MN Thing Girl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Running Boards? Reply with quote

I posted a photo for more help.
By bolted from the outside I mean you can actually see the bolt heads stick out from the body work.
See the little silver dots back where the running board and the body come together in the photo. They aren't painted orange like one would expect something attached to the bodywork to be. Or at least I would expect.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/74558.jpg
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Running Boards? Reply with quote

the running boards are bolted to nuts inside and under the rocker, not on the exterior of the rocker, of course there are the two bolts in the fenders at the extreme ends of the running board. If you have bolts thru your rockers it is because the rust in the rocker no longer supported the original nuts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: