Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fitty cent "Hot Start" relay...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny side note...this morning I go out to start Bessie...NADA (nothing)

So I assume it's my cheap azz relay fix. I check out everything, still nothing...get a jump start, she fires right up! The light finally goes on...(in my dim head)

My positive battery cable was a bit corroded at the terminal...

How I always overlook the obvious... Cool Funny that.
GusC2it
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any recommendations for cleaning and lubing the starter solenoid?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GusC2it wrote:

I've used white lithium grease....it works pretty damn good...YMMV.
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73kombi wrote:
Funny side note...this morning I go out to start Bessie...NADA (nothing)

So I assume it's my cheap azz relay fix. I check out everything, still nothing...get a jump start, she fires right up! The light finally goes on...(in my dim head)

My positive battery cable was a bit corroded at the terminal...

How I always overlook the obvious... Cool Funny that.

And that's why the best solution is to cure the problem and not the symptom... Good connections and good wire are much better than a relay!
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
And that's why the best solution is to cure the problem and not the symptom... Good connections and good wire are much better than a relay!

Oh, not so fast cowboy...the starter problem has been going on for 6 weeks...maybe longer. It was just this morning that 'everything' failed.

Yes, I disconnected my relay (takes all of 5 seconds)...NADA...without the relay, she still wont start...when HOT.

Cool
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73kombi wrote:
ccpalmer wrote:

Oh, not so fast cowboy...the starter problem has been going on for 6 weeks...maybe longer. It was just this morning that 'everything' failed.

Yes, I disconnected my relay (takes all of 5 seconds)...NADA...without the relay, she still wont start...when HOT.

Cool

Be sure to change the starter bushing sooner than later Wink
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73kombi wrote:
SGKent wrote:
sometimes the armature will expand when a starter is hot and then it takes more current to make it turn.

By current I assume you mean AMPS...and yes, that's the issue.

My only concern is the amp draw of the solenoid...the relay is rated @ 7 amps....(but I could use both halfs)

anyone know what the solenoid draws? she's been workin' for 2 days like this.

peace

According to the factory manuals that I have, a Starter solenoid pulls 40 amps pull in, and 20 amps hold in. It takes the extra for pull in, because it has to slide the bendix out. And the 20 amps is what it takes to keep it there, against its spring.
Your 7 amp relay will not last long. I have seen 30 amp relays fail after 3 months.
If you want a relay that will last, get an "X" relay from a water cooled car.
They are rated for 40 amps.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
was a paltry 7.84 volts

find the real problem. Such a drop shouldn't take more than 2 minutes with a volt meter to find. MAybe 10 minutes to fix.

Quote:
SG......pleez, drive that bus of yours a couple hundred thousand miles, and then install a relay...it will take a lot of "Bus Shows" to rack up that mileage, but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

73 Kombi - if you didn't have such a pattern of slamming everyone every chance you get I would listen to what you say but with a history like yours it is easy to ignore you. Besides, 350,000 miles driven in a 1971 deluxe without a hot start relay by itself qualifies me to make comments on this thread.

The statement stands. A hot start relay is a temporary fix until the owner can make time to locate the real problem.
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything actually wrong with fitting the relay though? It has been on my to do list of mods for a while.
The solenoid is fine. It still engages even when the battery is that flat it can't even turn the motor. But I would like to take the strain off the starter circuit and the ignition switch.

Which starters are self supporting? I'm still using the starter from when my bay was auto. Curious if it needs a bush or not. If it does, I might order one and put it aside for the next time I have things apart.
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

73kombi wrote:
ccpalmer wrote:

Cool

Aw; come on - I couldn't pass up that irony!!! Laughing
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GusC2it wrote:

I have used this site in the past wih good results....

http://www.hallvw.clara.net/starter.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:

According to the factory manuals that I have, a Starter solenoid pulls 40 amps pull in, and 20 amps hold in. It takes the extra for pull in, because it has to slide the bendix out. And the 20 amps is what it takes to keep it there, against its spring.
Your 7 amp relay will not last long. I have seen 30 amp relays fail after 3 months.
If you want a relay that will last, get an "X" relay from a water cooled car.
They are rated for 40 amps.

The Muir book recommends a Ford starter contactor. That's what my bus has. It is very heavy duty and bolts on in a way that looks stockish. It certainly can handle the current, however I've heard that the Muir way is dumb because the Ford solenoid pulls just as much current as the Bosch one. I don't know, but my bus does start FWIW.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bentley per VW shows a Maximum draw of 35 amps on the solenoid at pull in and 11 amps while cranking. Anything more is considered replace the starter time per Bentley. The starter itself draws 160 amps.

If you must run a hot start relay permanently then I suggest you also run a new 16 gauge line in parallel from the ignition switch to the hot start relay Also suggested - clean all your grounds well from the battery to the frame and from the frame to the trans. One might even run a fused (at the back 60 amps max) 12 gauge wire from the battery to the fuse box to restore 12V to the front because if the solenoid has low voltage it is likely the rest of the bus does too.

As to the question on grease for the solenoid, I use a white lithium grease in a spray can with a nozzle extension. Anything heavier might bind it in cold weather.

IMHO the only things a hot start relay do for you are lower the wear on the ignition switch and add one more failure point in the system. On late bays the ignition switch is easily replaced and we carry a spare one and tumbler in case either fail.

If you need help troubleshooting a voltage drop problem PM me and I will be glad to assist you.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhirledTraveller wrote:

The Muir book recommends a Ford starter contactor. That's what my bus has. It is very heavy duty and bolts on in a way that looks stockish. It certainly can handle the current, however I've heard that the Muir way is dumb because the Ford solenoid pulls just as much current as the Bosch one. I don't know, but my bus does start FWIW.

The old style Ford starter relay will handle the full starter amp draw. They are pretty tough units and are kind of overkill for a VW hot start relay. A negative of using one is that you now will have two more exposed unfused terminals you could accidentally contact with a wrench or screw driver. I would not want one in my engine compartment.
greenbus pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
WhirledTraveller wrote:

The old style Ford starter relay will handle the full starter amp draw. They are pretty tough units and are kind of overkill for a VW hot start relay. A negative of using one is that you now will have two more exposed unfused terminals you could accidentally contact with a wrench or screw driver. I would not want one in my engine compartment.

Good point. One does not want to create sparks so close to ones' gas tank.
Another reason to put it under the seat.Like mine....... Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: