Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cjsmitty's 59 Double Cab
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjsmitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Cjsmitty's 59 Double Cab Reply with quote

Well here it is my first DC. My plans are simple dumped on the ground front dics brakes big engine freeway flyer trans front and rear safaris and try to uncover / save as much as possible of the OG paint thats underneath that crappy blue paint and install some pressed bumpers..
Well as with almost all older VW buses it has rust BIG SUPRISE Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes But with the help of Gerson supplying the metal and my good friend Kris it should be no problem.. As of today I have gutted the front half of the bus removed both right and left lower dog legs and removed the complete front floor raised the steering box and shortened the steering shaft and with any luck I will have all the green metal by the end of this week. Here are some pictures of what it looked like when I bought it and how it looks today... More posts to come as progress is made. Cool

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

[img]
[/img][img][/img]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
roob47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noice! man u dont mess around, did u get a good deal on the dc? looks awesome
crusty67t2
Trailer Park King

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats awesome Corey !!!
If it (and I'm sure it will) turns out like your anthracite car its gonna be sweet!!!
cjsmitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
crusty67t2 Posted: Today 7:24 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats awesome Corey !!!
If it (and I'm sure it will) turns out like your anthracite car its gonna be sweet!!!

I hope so too but there is a lot less good OG paint left on this one so who knows what I will have once its all stripped down. But if I have to repaint it then I will... Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what your doing?....lol
cjsmitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I'm just winging it Very Happy
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to always dis kids who lowered their buses. Operative word: their buses. The problem is, these buses -as a protected and declining species- are cars that will definitely be passed on to further generations, as opposed to being crushed like all bay windows and post 64 beetles should be. Observing this, I believe our positions as key holders cannot properly be seen as "ownerships" in the purest sense of the word, but more I believe, that of "care takers" or "curators". Butchering them, disemboweling them before dressing them up, parading them around and humiliating them to appear like clowns as much of the goon hot rod guys do with other increasingly rare cars smacks in the face of responsibility, and further declines the number of proper, unmolested examples left. Unfortunately, this fight I lead will always be a lonely, one-sided, lost-cause battle.

That said, the condition of this bus -despite the hackafication needed to punk-out and degrade it's function to that of a high school play yard toy- will -overall- doubtlessly be improved based on the fact that the guilty will have to raise the bus's "bling" status in order to survive among his... "possee". I trust this will ensure vast restoration work will be performed, and I fear not, for talent -and an income- are both obvious in the images. Thus, based on this, I grudgingly will now give my nod of approval, turn my head and drive back to my side of the play yard.

The technologies you guys in "auto shop" are now using are becoming more and more impressive.

Proceed.
DaKine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome work brother! Cool

kombisutra- Your point is very well stated. But, why the hate for your fat chick cousins? With this tight economy, many bay window bus owners have single-handedly kept the profits up on business like Rustoleum and other roll-on paint suppliers. This ones for you!

kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaKine wrote:
awesome work brother! Cool

kombisutra- Your point is very well stated. But, why the hate for your fat chick cousins? With this tight economy, many bay window bus owners have single-handedly kept the profits up on business like Rustoleum and other roll-on paint suppliers. This ones for you!

Shocked Ouch, that image fucking hurt! Dayyam!

Look man, if you believe this shit I post and get all worked up about it, you're missing the joke. This is like baseball when you're talking shit about the other team. It's a rivalry. Yeah, I prefer vintage buses, and think the bay window was so "improved" it lost 98.5 of it's original character, simplicity, and charm, but know I'm just blowing purest smoke. Likewise, I don't like late beetles either, or for that matter front-wheel-drive Impalas, but in this forum, I shuck and jive with you guys -and hackasours Laughing because it's in our, my, and your nature to do so... and it can be pretty funny reading some of it or reactions like yours. Relax, I'm pulling your chain and would just as quickly buy you a beer... even the hackasour Razz . Besides, I've only had a few bay windows and late model beetles crushed, and have actually cut up far more splits... to include one Binz gated 1959 Double Cab Shocked True story. Chill, but don't post those scary 80s-painted bay window pictures any more, that was way uncool! Wink
DaKine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ dude for the record i was kidding....(because of all the "I spray painted my bus today" threads on the bay forum) Wink search 'rustoleum' on the bay threads...200 somethin' matches Laughing
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That DC is killer!

The bay, I could of done ok if it where painted 1/2 and 1/2 but with that fake split belt line thing it has going on....its like looking at a really ugly dragqueen.

bays suck, vanagons are better Smile
cjsmitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
kombisutra Posted: Yesterday 8:37 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used to always dis kids who lowered their buses. Operative word: their buses. The problem is, these buses -as a protected and declining species- are cars that will definitely be passed on to further generations, as opposed to being crushed like all bay windows and post 64 beetles should be. Observing this, I believe our positions as key holders cannot properly be seen as "ownerships" in the purest sense of the word, but more I believe, that of "care takers" or "curators". Butchering them, disemboweling them before dressing them up, parading them around and humiliating them to appear like clowns as much of the goon hot rod guys do with other increasingly rare cars smacks in the face of responsibility, and further declines the number of proper, unmolested examples left. Unfortunately, this fight I lead will always be a lonely, one-sided, lost-cause battle.

That said, the condition of this bus -despite the hackafication needed to punk-out and degrade it's function to that of a high school play yard toy- will -overall- doubtlessly be improved based on the fact that the guilty will have to raise the bus's "bling" status in order to survive among his... "possee". I trust this will ensure vast restoration work will be performed, and I fear not, for talent -and an income- are both obvious in the images. Thus, based on this, I grudgingly will now give my nod of approval, turn my head and drive back to my side of the play yard.

The technologies you guys in "auto shop" are now using are becoming more and more impressive.

I wish I could say that I'm surprised that someone would take the time to right a novel like this about what I'm doing to my bus but then again its The Samba and everybody is entitled to a opinion Rolling Eyes .. The part that I cant get over is how you can look at what I'm doing and consider it ''hackafication''not one thing I have done to this bus cannot be changed back to original spec's that is if you have skills to do so . And your idea of what a bus should be is irrelevant we obviously have different uses for are buses and for me a stock bus doesn't cut it . I spend 90 percent of my time on the freeway and 55 mph is no fun and the handling of a stock height bus at 70 mph is not safe .. Also the last thing I will ever do is build anything for the acceptance of my friends I build what I like and could care less what others think. I can however say I understand where you are coming from and agree that there is going to come a point when early VWs are going to be even harder to find and trust me I don't lose sight of that when I'm doing a project and that's why you wont catch me using cheap metal for my rust repair or cutting corners on the quality of my work nor will I modify my VWs to the point that they cannot be returned to stock.. End the end we all love are VWs and for me my DC will be an expression of my personality Wink ....
Nor_AL_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:

Proceed.

LOL, that's the nicest thing kombisutra ever said about a lowered Split....Very Happy Very Happy
63 Type 2 Standard Walk-thru
69 Ghia
68 912

Amateur Versus Rusty Bus!
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjsmitty wrote:

55 mph is no fun and the handling of a stock height bus at 70 mph is not safe...

True !

But a bus with narrowed beam at 70mph is safe...?
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepeopleeater wrote:

bays suck, vanagons are better Smile

Shocked
cjsmitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre G wrote:
cjsmitty wrote:

55 mph is no fun and the handling of a stock height bus at 70 mph is not safe...

True !

But a bus with narrowed beam at 70mph is safe...?

In a straight line Laughing
oldeskooloval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive my narrowed beam bus at 90+ with no issues regularly...it’s all good if you build your shiat right
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damm the DC is tight. Good work.
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corey your doublecab looks good. nice work.

oldeskooloval wrote:
I drive my narrowed beam bus at 90+ with no issues regularly...it’s all good if you build your shiat right

any calculations made or speedo adjusted for smaller tires? my guess is you are really going about 75. pics or it didn't happen.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuñado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldeskooloval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES. No pics but speedos turned all the way around…proof from folks trying to keep up in modern cars clocking it. I am not bs’ing……I am not going to hijack this thread more but, if you don’t believe, please……feel free to come out and take a ride. I am more than happy to prove it and take you for a ride …no joke, me and most of the crew …we ride big motors.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 27

Jump to: