Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rough idle fix - how I did it.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Rough idle fix - how I did it. Reply with quote

There are numerous write-ups on curing a lumpy or incorrect idle in a Vanagon. My Westy idled like a small wash machine, ok, not that bad, but you get an idea.

Things I checked:

1. Spark plugs - replaced with my favorite Bosh platinum +4. Runs good, but no difference in idle.
2. Cleaned ALL the grounds when I installed my DJ-code WBX, so that was not the problem.
3. Checked for vacuum leaks by spraying various vacuum lines and intake areas with carb cleaner. I found a tiny leak at the base of the idle control valve. No change after fixing that.
4. Timing was spot-on at 10 BTDC as per DJ-code spec, with a total of 40 degrees advance.

I happen to get a set of fairly new injectors off of another '89. I put them on while my wife was making dinner. It didn't take long since I had the whole assembly with brand new fuel lines and good fuel distributors.

BINGO! She now hums along happily and runs more smoothly too.

BUT... when I tried to set the idle I noticed after plugging the idle control unit the idle went up about 150 rpm. EH? I had a spare ISV laying around. I cleaned it and put it on.

BINGO! The idle now stays put. The write-ups mention the ISV, but the one I replaced moved freely and hummed like it should. The problem was that it bypassed vacuum when fully closed.

So, there you have it. Just one more thing to add to your rough-idle checklist, the injectors.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISV? Idle solenoid valve?
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's Idle Stabilization Valve, because it's something I have to check. But it also reminds me I need to have the injectors cleaned.

Thanks Mr. Polak. What year is your van?
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is an '84 with an DJ-code WBX from an '89 Syncro camper. I transplanted the whole enchilada with wiring harness, ECU, cooling system and so on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: