Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Sycnro RIP
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeattleDownhill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a little part of me just died... Sorry to hear about the van, but stoked that you're ok man!
shepherdsond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand why people want to see pictures of the inside - it's a scary thought about pasengers. I did get some other photos but they were taken with a disposable film camera that I had in my glove compartment. I will post those if they come out OK. When we visited the tow yard it was dark and I had no flash so unless I visit again I may not be able to get photos. It is possible that the rear bench seat area was not damaged as badly as I first thought. I do know that I was able to lift the bench seat to remove all the stuff underneath (spare parts!) and it was intact (the side that the ECU attaches to though had gone). I think someone in the back would at the very least have leg injuries from the kitchen being very forcibly pushed into the van and possibly head injuries from the exploding rear cabinet and of course flying glass. I think the rear table could do some damage. The safest place is probably the middle of the rear bench seat. The other danger that I have sometimes thought about is that if you have alot of stuff in the back piled high (I did not on this trip) it will be thrown forward into the back of the passengers heads. Head rests and shoulder seat belts seem like a good idea.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Projectiles(untied cargo, tools, spare parts, etc.) can do all kinds of secondary damage to passengers in a collision. Something I quickly realised in the 2 rollovers that I have been in (I was a passenger both times).
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that's amazing !! really glad you and your dog are ok !
take care and good luck getting your life back together !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Projectiles(untied cargo, tools, spare parts, etc.) can do all kinds of secondary damage to passengers in a collision. Something I quickly realised in the 2 rollovers that I have been in (I was a passenger both times).

yes this is very important. I have way too much unsecured stuff in my van, tools, etc. Those photos of the fancy dash desks and all kinds of stuff in the back scare me. I guess people don't realize how little it takes to send stuff flying.

Nobody saw the story of the woman who was killed when her laptop went flying and hit her on the back of the head, she had left it on the back seat . . .
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my sincere sympathies, best wishes & regards to everyone involved
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to hear everyone and even the dogs are ok!!(they don't get seatbelts, poor guys!)

made my stomach turn just looking at it, good thing the story that followed was a semi-good one, all things considered!

anyone ever notice with 98% of these crash photo's you see, you can tell it wasn't the bus drivers fault, so the question is, why do people like to crash into us so much?

again, sorry for the loss of a loved one(the bus), but unlike the passengers on board they aren't replaceable, way to handle a bad situation and keep everyone safe!!! good luck with the insurance,finding a another syncro, and the build to come....sorry again and best wishes!
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was with NOAA, we lost one of our research King Airs. It had an engine issue and made an emergency belly landing at a school yard. Everybody would have survived the accident, but all the unsecured equipment in the cabin killed all the occupants. After that accident, we had to re-evaluate how we kept equipment in the cabin and the rack designs.

One more grisly aircraft story. We had a Neurosurgeon client. He was, like all doctors headstrong and a poor taker of advice. He was returning to the Fulton County Airport at night. He had declared he had low fuel to the controllers. They offered vectors to several fields in along his route. He refused them all insisting he could make the field. He almost made it, landing about 800 yard short of the runway, plowing through a parking lot. No fire, as there was no fuel onboard. The aircraft was in good shape relative to the incident. The doctor was dead as a door nail. It seemed he liked to listen to CD's on his trips and his CD player used AA batteries. He tossed all the spent batteries onto the glarescreen. Well as he pitched forward in his straps on the less than smooth landing, he managed to pound one of the AA batteries through his forehead. Apparently, this is not a "Brain Healthy Activity." Somewhat ironic, considering his profession.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
becida
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Insurance Reply with quote

Go to http://gerry.vanagon.com/files/auto-insurance-madness.html to read about dealing with a totaled syncro Westy.

Sad to see the pictures and really glad you walked away.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow....Totally unbelievable! I'm sorry about the crash. I travel that road all the time too. As one who has been through a serious wreck in a Westy I know what you're going through. There was just a thread discussing the vanagon safety in a side impact and now we have our proof. I'm glad there were no serious injuries. It really shows how strong and well engineered these vans are.

If you need any help or advice I'm in Portland too. I was able to get more from insurance than I actually paid for the van and found a better replacement. Feel free to PM me and I'll help all I can. You're in for a little bit of a challenge.

Who is your insurance with?

Glad everyone was ok. -Rick

Last edited by PDXWesty on Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogpilot wrote:
He was, like all doctors headstrong and a poor taker of advice.

a few head pilots suffer them same malady?

the KLM guy that insisted on taking off in the fog at Tenerife comes to mind . . .
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, giving pilots in general advice is akin to herding cats. However if you compare the flight hour flown or take off and landings per incident by member of Homo Sapiens by job class, doctors win hands down in killing themselves or taking a crowd with them. By far the largest number of fatals by job class I have worked, the doctors win. Lawyers just screw up the planes and blame everybody else.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
seattlenelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Destroyed Westy Vanagon Reply with quote

Hi! I just went through the normal insurance nightmare with my insurance company (and the one belonging to the guy that hit me) regarding the value.. I just kept saying NO. They finally turned it over to an independent appraisal company called BIG BLOCK in Portland, OR. They came up with a decent evaluation, and the problem was solved. Good luck and sorry it happened! ciao
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the absolute key in Oregon (and probably most other states as well) is to invoke the independant appraisal clause. You still have to go through the process of them making (and you refusing) their offer. Once they get to the point where they aren't budging, go the independant appraisal route! It takes the process out of their hands and leaves it up the the 3rd parties to resolve. It may take a while to resolve but in my case it was a difference of about $13K in settlement value.
cnighbor1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: wrecked Vanagon Reply with quote

If you need a replacement buy my 91 Vanagon Multi_Van 125,000 miles PS PW AT AC
Charles
CurtisS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am seriously glad to hear that you are okay! That was a really wicked crash. I am with the others in that I cringed when I saw the middle section damage. This is where my daughter usually sits. I wonder if the door side would be more/less stronger considering there is a door frame?

Anyway, take care and let us know when you get a new Westy!

Ciao for now!

CurtisS
aquaboxa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you are okay! What a miracle... your beautiful syncro is a small price to pay for your life.
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked holy smokes shepherdsond!

so very, very glad you and your dog are alright. your wife must have been really shaken to see that happen.

sorry about your van, but glad it wasn't you taking the brunt of it.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even have the words....that is incredible.

It says a lot that you kept your head and made some (obviously) very good decisions, I would take GWTWTLW up on his offer to help, he went through a load of crap with his insurance company to make sure he got what the vehicle was worth.

In the end it's just a van and can be replaced. Take care, Todd
pete000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they lock up the guy who killed your Syncro I hope.

The Vanagon is quite a strong vehicle as these accidents show.
Koni Shocks
H & R Red Springs
Addco Sway Bars Front-Rear
18 X 7.5 and 18 X 8 OEM Porsche Wheels
Recaro Power-Heated seats
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: