Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Audi & Porsche as Parts Source
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Audi & Porsche as Parts Source Reply with quote

Thought it might be worth mentioning this as a reminder. Some parts for our buses may still be easily available through Porsche or Audi dealers.

Earlier this week I needed to replace a particular transmission mount bolt. Richard was kind enough to quickly respond to an e-mail I sent him and give me the part number. Thanks again, Richard!

Although my local VW dealer always says anything for my bus is NLA, Mad a Web search quickly revealed that the same bolt--still using the same part number--was a current Audi Quattro part. So for $2 the Audi dealer had it to me by noon the next day. That is both cheaper and quicker than any other option I could have used.

I know a lot of you guys have easy access to parts one way or another, but that is not the case for me marooned here in the rustbelt suburbs. So for those of you in situations similar to mine, here is one more option to add to your list when it comes to quickly getting some of the more universal parts.
Proud Member #1, SBS (Stock Bus Society)

*Enjoy and appreciate your good health*

We used to play for silver
Now we play for life
VWBusMan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Brilliant... Reply with quote

thank you!!!
1979westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is sad to think that the actual dealer that sold MY BUS is telling you that the parts are NLA, Bob. Shame on VW. Shame. Embarassed

Eric

1979 Deluxe Campmobile (quickly rusting away)
33K miles when bought, now at 61K
Proud Member #2 SBS (Stock Bus Society)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1979westie wrote:
It is sad to think that the actual dealer that sold MY BUS is telling you that the parts are NLA, Bob. Shame on VW. Shame. Embarassed

Eric

VW no longer has their aircooled vehicles best interest in mind. It is a part of their past that they are strongly trying to get away from to change their image. Obvious by their unwillingness to help in any aftermarket or even the sale of older parts by themselves. They really don't know how much money they are passing up by ignoring their roots, or maybe they just don't care. They want to be looked at as the luxury division of VW/Audi.Rolling Eyes That is easy to see considering you can now buy VW's for 60g's and up. Rolling Eyes From what I have heard and from personal experience with a 2000 Jetta VR6 they have a long way to go before I'll look at new VW's as "luxury" cars. The quality/reliability of new VW's is sadly below what it used to be. I know a person that bought a new Passat W8 (nowhere near a cheap car) and has had nothing but problems with it from the start and has had it in the shop numerous times for the engine light comming on. As Eric says above, shame on VW for trying to keep up with the Jones' instead of producing affordable reliable vehicles the way they used to and turning their backs on the very thing that made them popular in the first place. Mad

Steppin off my soap box now. Smile

VW Campmobile, it goes on vacation with you.
dth9269
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: It's a Baby Bentley! Reply with quote

Quote:
They want to be looked at as the luxury division of VW/Audi.

I was in a VW dealer yesterday, getting an inspection sticker (the "free" second sticker for the used EuroVan I bought there last year), and spent some time poking around the lot. I asked a salesman if they had a Phaeton, and he replied that they'd had one for 5 months before finally selling it in the spring, so they decided not to carry that model. He suggested (in all seriousness) that they should have made the Phaeton the entry-level Bentley!

Dan
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Good tip Bob. I bet I had more rust than you Very Happy !

The market changes. I'll bet the owners of SAAB two strokes are having the same complaint about parts. The manufacturers have moved on from being creative companies trying to produce inexpensive, reliable, and owner serviceable vehicles. Remember the Chevy Vega and Ford Pinto?
Probably the U.S. auto maker's only attempt.

If VW can get into that aweful luxury land yacht ("SUV") market and make a ton of money, they will. Gone are the days of cheap, reliable cars.
Fortuneately for us, there still seems to be a hot market out there for aircooled VW parts and accessories (particularly in the West). Good luck finding an oil tank for a SAAB shrike Monte Carlo.

On the up side, Volkswagen deserves credit for building vehicles 3 and 4 decades ago that are still around in somewhat large numbers. Seen a Pinto lately?

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1979westie wrote:
It is sad to think that the actual dealer that sold MY BUS is telling you that the parts are NLA, Bob. Shame on VW.

It's not that simple. Car manufactures aren't really obligated to have parts produced by OEMs and warehose them for 30 years after the model was produced.

Here's what can happen at the dealer:

You go to the parts counter and ask them for a part and they tell you they can't look up the part. BS. Every VW dealer has the ETKA software and can search for parts for any 68-79 baywindow.

A better scenario is to go to the dealer with the part number and ask them to look it up. Sometimes they will ask which car and just say it's for an older model VW so they don't reject you right away (start looking for another dealer afterwards anyway since a friendly one is worth it's weight in synthetic oil).

Unfortunately, unlike the Porsche software (PET) which puts an E beside an obsolete part, ETKA eliminates the part number so the dealer can't look it up which is a pity. Most dealers don't even have microfiche readers as a backup anymore.

Some dealers have printed books of parts number that they can check to see if the part number is valid. Most don't do this. What they do instead is check the system to see if the part number exists at any of the VW warehouses across the country. You can asked them to check for parts by name this way.

At this point, when the dealer says the part number is NLA it means there is no part left in any of the warehouses. The part may still exist on the shelf at some dealership elsewhere but dealers don't trade in parts so you are screwed. Where the Porsche dealer comes in handy is that they have a separate warehouse system and if the part was in common with any Porsche model (say a 914) then they may have it. The Audi dealers search the VW warehouses.

VW is not buying parts from OEMs that made the parts 30 years ago. The OEM may still be producing the part but the parts left in the VW warehouses are basically the same as NOS.

The same part costs more at the Porsche dealer than the Audi dealer than the VW dealer. If you have a combined Audi/Porsche dealer, get them to search Audi catalog first because that might reveal a lower price you can pay even though it's found in through the Porsche warehouse on the 2nd search.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUCK VWOA!!!!!!!! finally got a "real job" so i decided to by a newer car for my interstate commute to work. stopped by the local vw dealer and drove home with a charcoal grey Passat, tiptronic,leather interior,the works basically. airbag light came on on the drive home. easy fix said the dealer. 8 days later got the car back..."faulty airbag control unit"....blah,blah, 8 dealer visits in 10 months. VWOA unwilling to help or buy the car back, dealer willing to put me in a newer Passat for more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. in the end i'm being sued by vwoa for the balance they didn't receive from auction as i told them to get their piece of shit out of my driveway. $300. a month extra later...i feel better. FUCK VWOA Evil or Very Mad

dave

79 westy
78 westy

purveyor of refurbed westies and parts!!! inquire within!

1979westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratwell wrote:
Quote:
It's not that simple. Car manufactures aren't really obligated to have parts produced by OEMs and warehose them for 30 years after the model was produced.

I understand that. I really meant it more tounge and cheek, kind of an inside joke between Bob and I, as the dealer near him in Illinois where he has purchased his current VWs is incidentally the original point of sale of my westy. Smile
Eric

1979 Deluxe Campmobile (quickly rusting away)
33K miles when bought, now at 61K
Proud Member #2 SBS (Stock Bus Society)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: