Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I think my transmission is out? Can anyone help?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andylocious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: I think my transmission is out? Can anyone help? Reply with quote

I was driving back home from work when all of a sudden the gears would kick back out into neutral. Worst of all I was going uphill on a brige! I had to shift in reverse and move about a foot or so, then i would throw it back into first. Even then the bus wouldnt give that much of a push. I noticed that the engine was really accelerated. Another thing i also noticed was that on my way to work my 3rd gear was overaccelerating the engine without much push. Could that have been the sign of what I experienced later that afternnon? Im guessing it could be the linkage or the clutch? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 1600cc on a 70 bay.
-Andy
koho60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:01 pm    Post subject: I think my transmission is out? Can anyone help? Reply with quote

I have a 72 and I had the same (sort of) problem. Under the front of the transmission there is a hanger with two bolts. If the bolts are loose the trans gets out of alignment and your bus can and most likely pop out of gear.

JEFFRO
andylocious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: I think my transmission is out? Can anyone help? Reply with quote

Hey jeffro thanks for the tip! I will check that out after I get home.Hopefully it's that and not something major. I just got my bus 2 months ago from the shop with a new engine and brake job. I called the mechanic yesterday so ill check this out before i decide to take it to him. If you have any other tips please post them. I greatly appreciate your help.
-Andy
andylocious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: I think my transmission is out? Can anyone help? Reply with quote

No luck, I tightened that screw that jeffro told me about but it just made my clutch pedal a little stiffer( which I actually like). But other than that the car wont move forward in any gear, It'll move in reverse only. Please Help!!!
vwsrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: I think my transmission is out? Can anyone help? Reply with quote

Andy, Your transmission is mounted differently than Jeffros. In his 72, it stays mounted to the trans mounts. In yours, there is a rear mount on the motor that holds everything up. Often when your motor is taken out, the trans isn't supported at level. This puts stress on the nose and through the shifter linkage.

Try this. Look under the bus where the shifter linkage would start. It has a plate to the front that sticks straight down (vertical). At the botom is a small rod or guide pin going horizonatl. This pin is welded to the plate and helps guide the shifter inside to the shifter linkage underneath. It acts as an elbow. This pin MUST be straight/horizontal. If it's not straight, it will shift real funky. I experenced that with my 71. Good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: