Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need new carbs!!! Or do I???
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: I need new carbs!!! Or do I??? Reply with quote

Ok so Ive pretty much come to the conclusion that I have a bad carb. Gas is leaking into the block and everyone Ive talked to says its the needles or the float. The guy at the local VW shop says it is pointless to rebuild them because the throttle bodies are usually worn and it will cost as much to rebuild as it does for new ones. Heres the problem. I am on a very, very tight budget. The VW guy sais that he may have a used kit to change it to single carb. Would this be a good choice? What would be the downfalls? Thank you all very much.
matt
P.S. I leave for my cross country trip in exactly one month, so this needs to get fixed.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: I need new carbs!!! Or do I??? Reply with quote

You might have more problems with another used carb. Converting to an single progressive(assuming were talking type4 bus)will leave you with less power, some hesitation(depending on dist.)
If your mechanic is so knowledgable, have him check the throttle shafts-it takes 2 min.
The upside with a single carb is simplicity-no synching,less fuel line.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: I need new carbs!!! Or do I??? Reply with quote

If you are talking a 68-71 bus, I have *always* run a single, stock carb. Works fine.

What you need is an old, German mechanic with grey hair who knows aircooled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: