Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sticky Situation (Gas Tank)
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daves_ale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Sticky Situation (Gas Tank) Reply with quote

SO my bus has been sitting for years, and then some. Either at a former shop or in my garage. I'm gearing up for restoration and removing all the final stuff for bare metal, get to the gas tank and notice, it still has gas in it! Not just a little but a good 5~8 gallons of the stuff. The fuel line is just hanging there swinging in the breeze. I went to remove it anyways (this sucker is heavy!) and when I lifted it up it appears that the water that was in the bottom of the tank rusted some pinholes; but the gas that's left in there has evaporated so much that only some thick goo has been able to seep out.

WTF do I do now? Is there a solution that I can pour in there to revert it or at least loosen it up so I can pour it out? Disposal is going to be an interesting challenge...

'66 Euro Beetle 1200A
'71 Single Cab
'78 Westy
'02 Jaguar XK8 convertible
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're better off just buying a new tank. they're making them now. a friend of mine has a new aftermarket tank and loves it. but if you insist on using the original tank POR-15 makes a product called Marine-clean that will dissolve the old syrup like gas. or some radiator shops can boil the gas tank and put in a new liner. good luck finding someone willing to weld up the rust holes. id just go with a new tank.
daves_ale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Marine Clean go through that amount of tar? I did the POR15 treatment in my bay with good results. Right now I'm just trying to get all of this crap ( Gallons of the stuff ) out. Has anyone else come across this situation before? One way or another I'm going to have to find a way to dump it out. Just looking for the best way to free it up.

'66 Euro Beetle 1200A
'71 Single Cab
'78 Westy
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mousegrey64 wrote:
you're better off just buying a new tank. they're making them now. a friend of mine has a new aftermarket tank and loves it. but if you insist on using the original tank POR-15 makes a product called Marine-clean that will dissolve the old syrup like gas. or some radiator shops can boil the gas tank and put in a new liner. good luck finding someone willing to weld up the rust holes. id just go with a new tank.

The new tanks flat out suck. Thinner metal, the neck is at the wrong angle and most crack at the tank to filler joint. I sent 3 back before I said no more and fixed the one I removed.

Find a good radiator shop and have it boiled, then find a good welder to repair the holes and seal it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pour out the old gas somewhere, in a container, at the junkyard, maybe an oil change station, somewhere.

then get some hot water and dawn dish soap. get some chain. put chain in tank with hot water and soap. shake shake shake. drain, rinse, shake, drain, rinse shake drain, until the water comes out clear.

then fill it with water again and see where it leaks. fix the leaky holes with some sheetmetal patches. fill with water again to make sure the welds don't leak. coat inside and out with the por-15 tank sealer. bam good to go
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dufo's Pizza and Auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not in a rush....

Pour off the liquids...and just let the rest "air dry." It'll take 6months or so. The gooey stuff gets all hard and dry and falls out in chunks after banging on the tank with a rubber mallet.

...'cause it ain't easy bein' cheesy!
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same situation. My tank weighed about 30-35 pounds when I pulled it out. I poured about a quart of liquid out, and this is what was left, minus the gasket and the grass clippings. I don't think all the cleaning in the world would have fixed this thing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bugcollections
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
then get some hot water and dawn dish soap. get some chain. put chain in tank with hot water and soap. shake shake shake. drain, rinse, shake, drain, rinse shake drain, until the water comes out clear.

A mechanic friend of mine uses glass marbles for this purpose instead of chain. With the glass marbles there is no chance of a spark setting off the gas fumes as there would be with a chain. Even with the water in there it is still possible to have combustible fumes.
daves_ale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really curious as to how much goo is going to come out of it. From what I can tell it's Super Gooey. It's thicker than dehydrated honey. I've actually have time on my side so I'll try the air drying idea and then go with the usual Marine clean/ Por15 seal. Radiator shops around here won't touch gas tanks anymore. Believe me, I've tried.

'66 Euro Beetle 1200A
'71 Single Cab
'78 Westy
KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daves_ale wrote:
I'm really curious as to how much goo is going to come out of it. From what I can tell it's Super Gooey. It's thicker than dehydrated honey. I've actually have time on my side so I'll try the air drying idea and then go with the usual Marine clean/ Por15 seal. Radiator shops around here won't touch gas tanks anymore. Believe me, I've tried.

How 'bout a media blasting joint? Not sure how entirely difficult it would be to get results with it being such an enclosed space, but pop the sender off and you have a direct shot at the bottom.

WideFive wrote:
Single carbs are for lawn mowers!

Don't forget those seat-belts!
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: